High EC runoff, leaf burn

rebeloss

420 Member
Today i tested the runoff water for the first time after i fed them with 1.3 EC water and the runoff was 6.8-8..
I figured out late that i need to have some runoff after each and every watering which i didnt.

I am thinking if i should flush them with just 5.8 ph water and add some solution which is flushing away the salts ???
I am using COCO medium

IMG_5475.JPG

IMG_5476.JPG

Is it coco or coco loco? Can you shoot photo of the bag?

Coco is not the same as soil. Coco is considered as drain to waste hydro type grow format. Coco is a soilless grow media that is totally inert meaning there are zero nutrients in coco to sustain a plant so it must be bottle fed. Coco should not be allowed to dry out and don‘t use plain ph adjusted water. You should feed the plant low dose or quarter strength nutes every day. You will need hydro type bottled NPK nutrients and cal-mag also ph matters to coco so aim for 5.8

Its Coco ATAMI mixed with 30% perlite..Tiny amounts of fertilizers in it.
I did treat it like soil and thats why i ended up here.Last night i read a lot about how to treat Coco,but right now
it seems that there are too much salts concentrated in the medium ,thats why i wondering if i should use only plain water to clean/flush them off..
Im using Canna Aqua(hydro nutes) +Cal Mag+Silica

I read you should have runoff when u water them.Do you apply this all the times(x3-5)you water daily ?

I’m soil grower so I’m going to ask @Bill284 to jump in here, he’s an experienced coco grower. My understanding is that you should always water to 10% runoff. If you do flush them most recommend following up with a regular feed. Feed daily when plants are small, feed 2X per day when plants are bigger and feed 3X per day in flower.

I’m soil grower so I’m going to ask @Bill284 to jump in here, he’s an experienced coco grower. My understanding is that you should always water to 10% runoff. If you do flush them most recommend following up with a regular feed. Feed daily when plants are small, feed 2X per day when plants are bigger and feed 3X per day in flower.
Thanks for your time :)

Hey I’m driving so I don’t have much time.
what’s the ppm of run off
Should be with in a couple hundred feed
5,8 ph feed every day till u get
Run off.
cal mag every feeling put it in your mix first.
in veg 300 - 500 ppm
Flower 500 -700
Bill

Hey I’m driving so I don’t have much time.
what’s the ppm of run off
Should be with in a couple hundred feed
5,8 ph feed every day till u get
Run off.
cal mag every feeling put it in your mix first.
in veg 300 - 500 ppm
Flower 500 -700
Bill
hi there,thanks for stopping by.So far i was feeding with max 1.3EC every 3-4 days.
The runoff yesterday was 6.8-8 EC

You need to water daily,even twice a day.keep coco wet bro. And ph to 5.8 (the sweet spot) I made some mistakes in coco last year and bill helped me out (legend) always look for 20% runoff,this way you know you’ve pushed the old salts out. this chart helped me out a lot.

7B64D943-930A-43F5-8B9B-1E6EF9E06676.jpeg
Thats what i m planning to do from now on and thanks for the info and the chart.Thats the one i am following.
T
he fact right now is that i have high EC runoff and some leaf burn,so the question is if i should flush/water only with ph adjusted water +some flush nute that helps flush/dissolve salts or just keep going with lower EC till i get to the proper runoff numbers

Thats what i m planning to do from now on and thanks for the info and the chart.Thats the one i am following.
T
he fact right now is that i have high EC runoff and some leaf burn,so the question is if i should flush/water only with ph adjusted water +some flush nute that helps flush/dissolve salts or just keep going with lower EC till i get to the proper runoff numbers
Yep - flush to 20% runoff with a slightly higher Ph bottled Spring Water (6.5 - 7), even sparkling water seems to work well
I have flushed with Ph 7.5 with no adverse affects, the Ph in the rootzone can drop very low (like 4.5) with constant Ph down & feed so it kind of resets everything - I'd also cut off all the really sick leaves as they are doing nothing anyway
Boiled tap water also works fine for me, but it contains fewer natural minerals
Don't bother with supposed 'Flush Nute', it's just a load more s**t for the plant to deal with, while plain water does the job better
BTW dump the Silicon too, no need for it

T
Oh forgot to say. I personally wouldn’t use a flushing agent. Just water and some cal mag does the job for me.

Thats what i did today,just water +cal mag+silica and regulated the ph.Watered till i got 20% runoff at least and will keep going for the next ones till the runoff EC drops..Is this what you meant by flushing ?
Why are you adding Silicon? Last time I used Silicon with coco it tasted s**t even after a miracle panacea 'flushing agent'
Yes that is flushing, but pretty useless exercise if you put a load of crap in the flushing water ;O)

Thats what i did today,just water +cal mag+silica and regulated the ph.Watered till i got 20% runoff at least and will keep going for the next ones till the runoff EC drops..Is this what you meant by flushing ?
Yeah that’s correct bro! I’d of avoided the silica personally though. Just run water and cal mag through continuously until your ppm’s are in the good range. And I would 100% have my ph at 5.8. The only time I wouldn’t ph is at the very end of the cycle flush :rollit:

Yeah that’s correct bro! I’d of avoided the silica personally though. Just run water and cal mag through continuously until your ppm’s are in the good range. And I would 100% have my ph at 5.8. The only time I wouldn’t ph is at the very end of the cycle flush :rollit:
Why are you adding Silicon? Last time I used Silicon with coco it tasted s**t even after a miracle panacea 'flushing agent'
Yes that is flushing, but pretty useless exercise if you put a load of crap in the flushing water ;O)
I flushed with cal mag the last 2 days and they responded right away !!
The EC was around 2 yesterday..So i guess this number should get down to 1-1.2 EC till i start feeding again ? Thanks for your responses by the way,Coco medium seems to be very forgiving..

I flushed with cal mag the last 2 days and they responded right away !!
The EC was around 2 yesterday..So i guess this number should get down to 1-1.2 EC till i start feeding again ? Thanks for your responses by the way,Coco medium seems to be very forgiving..
When cleaning out a coco bag, use pure water set at exactly 5.8.
No calmag or anything in flushing liquid.
I constantly check runoff in coco. If it starts to rise I give some ph water.
Keeps bag clean.
I find if she isn't eating everything you feed her it can build up in the pot.
Too much ppm and salts are easily cleaned from coco making it a great forgiving medium.
If you find a steady buildup reduce your feed ppm and see how that helps.
Bill

depending on your nutes you might want to do a f/f/w or f/f/f/w sched. the water side does exactly what bill says, keeps the roots clear and salt build up minimal. some nute choices are ok to run f/f/f, but they are few.

don't live by run off numbers. tears lay that way for most folk. it's the inputs that matter. concentrate on keeping that in balance and you'll be fine. it's ok to monitor run off as you go, but it will never tell the story unless in dwc.

learn a read on your plants to understand what they are telling you. it may take a while as it's experience, but worth it to grow that way. once you know how to read the plants, changing nutes, media etc, becomes a lot easier.

the guys have you headed the right way,

Yes that is flushing, but pretty useless exercise if you put a load of crap in the flushing water

Si would not add or change any of the terpenes which is where the flavour is.

the cure is the most important aspect.

end of grow flushing is a bro-science myth that's been entirely debunked and widely abandoned everywhere including most on the board. it's a hold over from early hydro that industry has tacked on to to sell you shit. @InTheShed has posted some great articles on it.

if do you run Si it needs to be balanced in. @farside05 has a couple posts on it i believe.

Back
Top Bottom