High Stress & Other Training With Defoliation: Starting Indoor, Finishing Outdoor, First Time To Buy Seed, Somewhat A Newbie Cannabis Grower

Well I have some bad news, I pruned today and got a good in-depth look at the girls. I thought I was only going to have a 3.334% that Hermied but now it’s at 10%, 2 ogk had one or two balls on them. O well life goes on, I will glm once I put them outside from the start next year to remove the flipping and regeneration stress, as well as more of the early life stress will be removed as well. Some plants like the sod and blb have completely revegged and the other still have the look of flowering. I’ve been hitting them with a light a 6000k cfl and just switched it to a 2700k led, same lumens at 1600. My question is should I go back to the 6000k or stay with the 2700k? I moved the ones that flipped to the outside of the group to let the ones that still have the flowering look get majority of the light. I also moved them closer together at night to the light and spread them back out in the morning. Only hitting them with 1hr in the middle of the dark cycle.

0BE534C2-392B-4F3F-B206-597C71E6A03B.jpeg

So what kelvin light should I use and is that enough light?

If you have any suggestions I’m all ears and would appreciate the help.

I'm wondering if the large amount of defol and pruning you did early on, added to the stress that caused them to flower/hermie... :hmmmm:

@BeezLuiz

It indeed added to the stress. Now is it the main cause to them herming, you can’t really say due to many other stress factor they have faced in their life’s.

I knew my chances of hermie’s would occur, thus why I have so many and if the 5 mazari would of popped I would of had even more. I did destroyed a nth tap root and disease killed a whw. With that being said I wish I would of took a pic of the seeds, some looked very poor, some almost completely white. The mazari was the only ones sealed in a Mylar package, to me made me think they was older seed.

So you could say they quality of the seed. Then to continue with not being able to control very much of the environment besides the lights and watering. I did have fans and it never really got to hot to my knowledge but it was colder some days then they probably enjoyed. They got topped with being almost completely defoliated several times in short periods, due to my size restrictions at the time. The gnats hit them once which in my opinion took out the whw with a disease after the last big defo. But it could of been the plastic bags and maybe not getting proper drainage, slightly overwatered them once to cause the gnat problem? Supper cropping mainly every branch at once. Topping them when they was in the beginning of the flip to flower. Maybe I missed something, please comment if I did so.

So to answer your question was just the big Defo’s what caused them, maybe but there are way to many stress factors that could of also played a role. There are people that completely defo with no problems.

My main goal here was to try a bunch of different training methods and collect the data. That’s why I names my journal the way I did. For so far only having 3 hermie from what all the girls endured isn’t too bad, not saying I could possibly have more later. but I am done with the extremely high stress training, unless I make a mistake later which is a high possibility lol. I can’t point fingers at any one thing other than I have bad luck with the number 13 and we are passed that now, thank god.

So far I got some good data to go from for next year and for being a newb I feel my girls don’t look too bad and still have some time left to improve.

So I popped on of the hermie plants over to just look at the roots. Heres a pic what do y’all think, I could hold the stock and all the soil will stay there.
EC7C8B1A-F3BA-49A9-B2B8-FDC44B02EFB7.jpeg

Haven’t read much on the roots yet and would like to know your opinion, thanks.

O and here’s one of our dogs she like to barely rub the plants on here face and back. She does this with all plants and tall grass/weeds.
D30173E3-ED79-4464-9A8D-7E880F0B185B.jpeg
EFFED6E7-EFBD-46C0-A080-F575016304FC.jpeg

@BeezLuiz
Now is it the main cause to them herming, you can’t really say due to many other stress factor they have faced in their life’s.
So to answer your question was just the big Defo’s what caused them, maybe but there are way to many stress factors that could of also played a role.
Agreed. Sounds like a combinations of many factors.
My main goal here was to try a bunch of different training methods and collect the data.
So far I got some good data to go from for next year and for being a newb I feel my girls don’t look too bad and still have some time left to improve.
Usually the best way to learn is to do it first hand and then learn from your mistakes. Just take some good notes. I'm sure next year will be much better, but honestly I think your plants look pretty darn good so far! :high-five:
o I popped one of the hermie plants over to just look at the roots. Heres a pic what do y’all think
Actually the roots look nice and healthy, but certainly it's time to transplant them into a larger home.

Your dog looks like a very happy girl! :)

Thank @BeezLuiz for the reply and comments.

Yes I’m trying to get the pots done and transplanted ASAP. Trying to get this big building done and the wind and rain isnt helping us move very fast we are close to being done. But working weekend makes me have to waiting for time to be able to get this last day of of build the beds. I will take a couple of days off from starting a new project and catch everything up.

I do have a question, since they need a bigger pot could that contribute to them wanting to flower? Just a thought that I was curious about.

This whole flowering situation with a bit over half of the girls has me worried but possibly also could be beneficial if June and July are good conditions for the girls. That’s if they reveg sooner than later.

Well we finally finished the 70x120x20 yesterday. Chances of swamping rains today so I made the decision to transplant into 5 gallon pots to help with the roots until the soil can be transferred to my property. Will finish the beds most likely tomorrow, unless something else comes up. Still seeing good growth on the girls but definitely lost some time in the process. Got a blb looking a bit sick with a problem in the root area, will baby her tho and the rest aren’t showing any other bad signs, other than the yellow leaves that has been defoed due to getting root bond. O forgot to mention I did up-pot the hermies in 10 gallon pots to flower inside, but the males signs have disappeared which is confusing the heck out of me. Got to give a shoot out to the lawn care guy who keeps suppling me with free pots, there are still some really nice people out there.

Before
784F6B2D-67F9-4797-A815-4E55A50F9E50.jpeg

After
60D0800D-AB70-4BB1-99DE-59A18A3E6937.jpeg

Inside
1AD77DB8-F0E9-4BA5-90C0-15EF8AE02919.jpeg

CF7BDD29-2A36-4AEA-8EC3-60B409318416.jpeg

The girls
7FC42901-4EC0-4350-9067-BAD321D12270.jpeg

3 hermies on the left
66CEB89F-0527-431B-A511-E9D4994C9955.jpeg

Well stuff came up today but I still managed to get them done, well the hard part lol. The sides will be easy to put together tomorrow while the soil is being transferred threw out the day.

Now let’s see how much free top soil I get from my cousin and if I decide to order more! Going to be 200-400 gallon 5’x5’ beds 1.5’ - 2.5’ tall, that’s soil then a good top layer of hay. There will be a garden plastic liner in the bottom to make to water drain to the outer edges. The sides will be left alone but will have some gaps for air exchange and water drainage.

The girls might not full use up the space this year, but next year will be a totally different story with less work. The first year is always the hardest/costly when starting off big. Big shoot out to all that have donated to my operation. A few free seeds, pots and soil goes a long ways. I will be donating and giving back with a portion of the product I produce as well.
9882A1B3-3314-4F65-B0CD-5BCF9BE81D43.jpeg
D75F858E-7EB2-414C-AB61-69A93179C552.jpeg

74F70EBA-592E-490B-AB2A-37B8F718C948.jpeg
CE8A0946-1A11-4735-92E8-57B02F016D7D.jpeg

My blb is wilting bad now, I have no clue what it is. I have treated all my girls the same and I did notice she still had wet feet and accidentally watered her with the rest. I did pull her out of the pot and removed the excess soil I added to let her dry out. Then repotted this evening with dry peat moss to try to draw the moisture out from the soil in her roots. Idk any suggestions on that, anything that I could try.

My blb is wilting bad now, I have no clue what it is. I have treated all my girls the same and I did notice she still had wet feet and accidentally watered her with the rest. I did pull her out of the pot and removed the excess soil I added to let her dry out. Then repotted this evening with dry peat moss to try to draw the moisture out from the soil in her roots. Idk any suggestions on that, anything that I could try.

I think you did what you could and you’d have to let it dry out now. I also think training methods like defoliation are fine so long as you wait until the plant is large enough and starting to absolutely clutter itself with leaves, and only remove what’s blocking light at first, and maybe a few lower bud sites at the time that it is large enough.

Thanks @DET—PDX, I wish there was more I could do for her bc she looking very poor.

And I’m not doing anymore big defos anymore like at the beginning. I remove the bigger fan leaves now as they progress and strip some of the new growth at the bottom but try to leave the new branches intact that are already established. Some are getting really thick inside and with the reveg they might go crazy. I will definitely have to start tying the larger branches to open up the centers. Once I transplant to their final beds I’ll get some individual pics posted.

So I put the pot in one of the 5 gallon drip trays and it didn’t really fit so I took a measurement and it’s a 14” diameter meaning they are 7 gallon pots. So I’ll have to measure the previous pots. I could have been in 5 gallon pots this whole time and been calling them 3 gallons. But the girls are now in 7 gallon pots and the 3 hermies are in 13.5 gallon pots.

That's some pretty massive amount of work you had to do there to make all those raised beds - good work! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom