HigherDrifter's Trim & Manicure

HigherDrifter

Okay.

The water cure part of my harvest is pretty much finished. Got everything involved with the water cure either put away or thrown away. Threw the homemade carbon filter away. Cleaned out the cure boxes, put all the previously stored stuff back in them, and then stacked them back on the shelf.

The "Water Cure Journal" was kinda fun. Unfortunately, the water cure itself was abruptly halted due to complications.

So. Why not start another journal, this time for the "Trim & Manicure"?

Yeah...why not?

Okay.

Here goes.

Started trimming and manicuring rather early this morning, about 6, starting with the "inferior" looking stuff.

The inferior looking clumps of buds have been drying on the racks (in the drying room) for about 38 hours. A good portion of them bud clumps are dry enough to smoke, even though the branches are quite pliable. Also, a large portion of the "distegrating buds" (from the water cure) are amongst the "inferior" stuff, on the racks.

Much of the inferior stuff on the racks is getting pitched. I will use this opportunity to, first, practice my trimming and manicuring technique, and second, to learn more about the buds, and the plant, and whatever else I can absorb that might be beneficial with future things. All the healthy looking buds will be jarred, but, keep in mind, they could wind up getting pitched as well, especially when I start to get into the trim & manicure of the really primo stuff later.

All the primo stuff, with healthy clumps and nice colas are hangin. Those are at least another day from being dry enough; would be nice if it were longer - a slower dry, even after the water cure (which usually make everything dry quicker) would probably be a real benefit, especially since I didn't do a complete water cure (at least 7 days).

Okay. So I'm taking a break from the Trim & Manicure to write this up and post a pic or two of the so far finshed buds.

Okay?

Okay.

Here goes:

TrimmedManicured_1.jpg
TrimmedManicured_2.jpg
TrimmedManicured_4.jpg
TrimmedManicured_3.jpg
TrimmedManicured_5.jpg
TrimmedManicured_6.jpg
TrimmedManicured_7.jpg
TrimmedManicured_8.jpg
TrimmedManicured_9.jpg

Yeah..

I know I'm not still doing the ultimate primo "Trim & Manicure". Still quite a bit of leaf in there huh?

To be perfectly frank, I don't enjoy this part of DIY with Cannabis. Fact, I hate it. But, I gotta do it cuz noone else is gonna do it for me, unless I pay them a pretty penny to do so...and I aint gonna do that no how. ;)

As I'm trimming and manicuring along, still with the "inferior" batch....

Coming across some rather nice looking bud clumps;

Solid.

Firm.

Not brittle.

Fresh Cannabis smell is faint, however...

Some other smells are developing...don't know if it's a good or bad thing...

Some smell like the inside of somebody's shoe, on one hand;

On the other hand...

some smell like one of them old style Gas Station Restrooms you find out on the highway, 500 miles out of nowhere. You know...the one's that don't get used and/or cleaned very often, but still smell like a outhouse...

Okay.

Just finished for the day with the trim & manicure jazz...

Forgot to mention:

Come noon-time, I'm about as worthless as worthless can be when it comes down to doing menial, tidious, repetative, mind-numbing labor :trance:

I over-extended myself today :phew:

Time to light up. :rollit:

Drifter I'm LOVIN it....I'm hooked , I'm hooked....so now what?....can't wait...do you have any books written?...looking forward to seeing all those dry and cured up my man....I love you spunk ....that a boy drifter....:riskybusiness:

Uh oh.

Just got done looking at the primo stuff.

Looks like it's drying a lot quicker than I thought.

Buds are drying fast and beginning get crisp whilst the branches are still pliable. No snap to the branches at all.

And, it's already a hot one today: 98°F with RH at 5%

Damn.

Looks like I'ma gonna be trimmin, manicurin, and jarrin them things a lot sooner than expected too.

Only about half way through all that inferior stuff already dried up on the rack.

Tommorrow morning, I'm gonna do a quick search for any decent buds in the inferior stuff, gather them up (for trim & manicure), and pitch the rest, then start on the primo stuff.

this thread is like.. the beginning of a second season of your favorite tv show. Love it.

Tune in every Thursday at 9 (8 central) for "Higher Drifter" brought to you by... Fiskars.. (well.. it was funny in my head...lol)

Yeah...right.

Better title would "Higher Doper". Come one. Come all. Come watch some moron make a total imbicile of himself.

Next thing you know - David Letterman's gonna have me (not my cat) on his "Stupid Pet Tricks" episodes.

And then there's a new show coming called "Fools Are Us" and I'm gonna be in the premiere episode.

Good luck.

Ha Haa

:laughtwo:

Okay.

Got a second wind I reckon.

Spent some time in the drying room.

Went through all the "inferior" stuff (not the quick search like I mentioned in one of my previous posts).

Any clump, nugget, cola, whatever, of buds that looked like it had a decent amount of structural integrity, and was able to withstand some decent "roll and squeeze"(<---kinda helps to remove dried leaves too) between the fingers, and the plucking off the branch, without crumbling or collapsing - went into the bowl. Everything else just dropped to the floor in the pile for the compost pit.

DriedNready4Jar_2.jpg
DriedNready4Jar_1.jpg

:trance:

:phew: Got kinda hot today :phew:

Brought it in the house, weighed it:

WeightOZ.jpg
WeightGees.jpg

And then just jarred it. Wasn't even gonna manicure. The leaves are compressed and compacted in with the bud and it's not easy getting all the bud leaf out without damaging the buds. Henceforth, the reason why it's important to do a complete trim & manicure BEFORE you do a water cure. I'll be sure to remember that next year.

JardnReady2go.jpg

Might start up again later this evening doing the T&M to the prime stuff, or I might just wait till tomorrow morning.

Dunno.

More to come...

Got a early start this morning with the T&M.

Wow.

4 hours. Geeze. Took me that long just to T&M one branch, the first branch.
And that was just a baseline (as little as possible) T&M.

Well, gotta keep on...

Takin a break....so,

Smoked a little of the primo stuff just a moment ago.

You know, was hoping the water cure would have reduced the amount of chokey smoke and all the problems I've been having with hack :cough:

It did not.

Still getting the same amount of thick chokey smoke I got last year with a conventional dry/cure. So I revised my "smoking" method with the pipe. I put real small chunks of bud in the bowl and blaze it down with one comfortable hit. Anything left in the bowl gets tossed. With a jay, it's easy enough: just nurse and carb the hit. No biggie. Don't smoke jays that frequently. Only when I'm out and about for long periods of time do take a jay along for the ride.

Tell you what the water cure DID do, that I find most gratifying: made the taste a hell of a lot better. Far more pleasant a taste than what I had before...bar none.

The effects. Can't really say if the water cure affected the effects or not. This isn't the same kinda bud that I had last year. Didn't have the same problem with wild pollination I had this year. Last year's bud had quite a bit more of Sativa profile to it.

Overall - the water cure was a partial success, and for that I'm...happy?

Well, I for one am hooked on your style of journaling! You're a breath of fresh air in a crowded forum!

Too bad it wasn't a complete success, but as long as we have time, we can try, try again - or not :D - but we learn and move on ;)

Trimming is new to me so it doesn't bother me yet, I just listen to some music and snip away, grateful for just learning to grow my own little stash, and reading post like yours trying to absorb through osmosis all I can about this plant that has entranced me so long ago :) :geek:

Okay.

In the last 2~2.5 hours I have finished up just a little over an ounce.

I reckon I'm getting the hang of it.

I think I did a pretty good job of manicuring this time around....?

Did some slight pistil removal and "ovary" exposure, more an incidental thing since I'm trying to remove as much leaf as possible.

Kinda leading up to some questions I've been wanting to ask:

Most of the THC laden resin is around the ovules, right...and, the resin on the leaf is not as high in THC?

Anyways, here's the pics:

Ready2Smoke_1.jpg
Ready2Smoke_2.jpg
Ready2Smoke_3.jpg
Ready2Smoke_4.jpg
Ready2Smoke_5.jpg

I wouldn't mind a little critique on the manicure. I am rather new at it - could use all the advice I can get. I think they look really nice.

It's always been my understanding the more leaf you take off the less harsh and "thick" the smoke will be.

Back
Top Bottom