Highest yield in a 4x4 tent?

hydromaniac

Hey guys so i was wondering what you guys think, how many plants do you think will give me maximum amount of yield in a 4x4 space (scrog)? i can do 4 -6 plants in RDWC. i got a 1000w Hps. my last grow i had 5 plants in there but i had the system too closed to each other and the plants had barely in space / i didnt use the space in the whole tent.now i am wondering if i should put 4 plants spaced out or 6 plants spaced out? again for the maximum yield. thanks

I've seen some here doing a plant per square foot. It all depends on how big you let them get.

I can fill up my 4x4 tent with one plant.

thats a good point, so lets specify that i only vegetate for 1 month after seedlings show first true leavs

oldman60 is exactly correct.

I have been in search of this since I started using a tent in January. I used an ebb and flow system (2' x 3') for the first grow - four plants which filled the tent and got the worst yield. Went to an RDWC for the second - with a mixture of three varieties with 8 week (White Widow), 10 week (Unknown Parentage), and 13 week (Light of JAH) finish dates. I ran 8 plants - spaced to give each plant the same amount of room. By the time the sativa's got big - the six WW were harvested. I left the unknown one up front and had to SCROG the LOJ in order to support it. The LOJs finish date is June 1-8 - and it now fills the entire 4x4 tent with a nice carpet of buds. So I got 9 oz from the 6 WW at 8 weeks, another (just short of...) 2oz from the unknown variety, and I won't know the yield on the LOJ for another week - but it is easily going to be 9 oz. Grand total will be over 20 oz in 13 weeks from 3 different varieties with staggered maturity dates.

And the final plant that I harvest will likely yield more than the initial 6 plants... but it has had nearly double the flowering time.

So... as you can see. Different varieties will yield different amounts. Different grow techniques (SOG vs lollipop vs SCROG) will yield different amounts. And, IMO, different flowering times seem to yield different amounts.

There is no right way to maximize yield... thus there can be no wrong way. The larger the expected final size of the plant - the fewer plants which should be in the tent - but I violate this general rule (to good effect) using varying sized plants and maturity dates. The worst thing you can do is crowd them and end up with a lot of undeveloped popcorn buds which smell like a fine grade of alfalfa.

So pick out some seeds.... decide on how you want to grow them... document the grow... and improve your yield the next time through.

:goodluck:

I just finished the harvest and jarring for the LOJ - ended up at 15oz + 20grams.

So... eight plants, three varieties, 13 week total schedule - and I ended up at 9+2+15 = 26oz.

Honestly - I would have never thought that was possible in a 4x4 tent. Nor would I have ever imagined that I could get 15oz from a single plant.

Hi,
what I think if I grow in 4x4 space with scrog I will have one plant one big res. dwc or rdwc. under scrog so your plant will cover all the space you will have more yield.

so i've already chosen to do 4 plants for my next grow in the 4x4, i was gonna scrog because that seems to be the only way to keep light low so the whole plant receives good light. hopefully this will come out with good results.

ONE plant would be okay except i cant wait that long to vegetate, i only want to vegetate 3-5 weeks maximum plus 8-10 weeks of flower plus 2 weeks minimum of dry and cure thats already 13-17 weeks (almost 4 motnhs! )

There again it depends on what you grow. You aren't likely to get a heavy sativa to finish in 15 weeks.

What I have going right now was started the first of January and it has a couple of months to go.

There again it depends on what you grow. You aren't likely to get a heavy sativa to finish in 15 weeks.

What I have going right now was started the first of January and it has a couple of months to go.

Your patience is amazing.

I had lots of trouble waiting 13 weeks on the LOJ - I can't imagine nursing one along for that period of time.

Sounds like a great plant HM.

A SCROG is definitely the way to go. Easy to build, cheap to assemble, and very helpful for controlling plants and directing light to exactly where you need it. I don't yet understand exactly why - but the yield is definitely much better as well.

The timing really does depend on the strain that you are involved with. Let me give an example. I am growing a DarkStar right now - the last to germ; the slowest to grow; and it takes a very long time to flower (relatively speaking). So 2 weeks seedling; 5 weeks veg; and 11 weeks flower - for a total of 18 weeks. The Light of Jah, on the other hand, is 2 weeks seedling; 1 week veg; and 13 weeks flower - for a total of 16 weeks. This is a comparison between a pure indica and a (nearly) pure Sativa - yet the sativa with the long flowering cycle will give smokable results quicker.

But on the other extreme... the Green Poison (pure indica) that I am growing was quick to germinate (4 days); 2 week seedling (though it hit fourth true set of leaves neary 4 days early); is growing very, very fast (3 week veg is likely); and will flower in 7 weeks - for a total of 12 weeks. The C99 (nearly pure sativa) that I am growing was similar - 2 week seedling (though it finished this early); a three week veg; and an eight week flowering cycle - for a total of 13 weeks.

My point is this - if you are worried about the time between planting and harvest - you can't just depend on the flowering times of a particular strain - and you shouldn't pick simply because of the distinction between Indica and Sativa. You have to look at everything - including seedling and vegetative growth time.

so i've already chosen to do 4 plants for my next grow in the 4x4, i was gonna scrog because that seems to be the only way to keep light low so the whole plant receives good light. hopefully this will come out with good results.

ONE plant would be okay except i cant wait that long to vegetate, i only want to vegetate 3-5 weeks maximum plus 8-10 weeks of flower plus 2 weeks minimum of dry and cure thats already 13-17 weeks (almost 4 motnhs! )

A SCROG is definitely the way to go. Easy to build, cheap to assemble, and very helpful for controlling plants and directing light to exactly where you need it. I don't yet understand exactly why - but the yield is definitely much better as well.

You seem to have a great understanding already my friend. :thumb:

You get more because the horizontal growth and as you mentioned, the more efficient use of usable light. Cannabis plant naturally grow vertically (duh right). This tends to produce one main cola and several smaller colas that branch out and up from the sides. For many, these "tops" are the trophy pieces. The problem with leaving the plant to it's natural devices--and unnatural lighting--is that usually those main and secondary colas start hogging up all the light and fluffy popcorn nugs begin to form under the canopy. This means that energy is wasted on producing things that wont reach their full potential without more time, money, luck, and effort. The scrog forces the plant out horizontally. Main branches are pulled to the sides until the stretch is over and the under growth is given a chance to play catch up. Ideally, this gives the farmer a level canopy where the light can be focused equally over a maximum amount of bud sites. This combined with defoliating helps the plant focus it's energy in producing many "tops" rather than less developed nug and vegetation. More tops=more weight.

I suppose I could have simply said scrog gets more light to more places.:tokin:

I'm currently growing 9 Green Gelato in 20L pots in a 4x4 side of a 4x8 tent going specifically for yield, I'm currently running a 400w mh bulb at the moment but I do plan on going up to 1000w of hps eventually once I'm in flower, is it important to start flowering off straight away with the 1000w or am I okay to run the 600w for the first 2 weeks of flower?

I know this is an old post but I've noticed throughout the years on posts that people average around 30oz but that's with semi trained plants so I'm trying my best to get the best canopy I can possibly get, the screen is 10" above the pots, I have some plants that are 3/4 of the way up, I plan to also put another screen 4-6" above the first screen with smaller squares (3x3") to help with supporting more main stems/colas ect.

I will end up with 90+ main stems/colas and I plan to tie each to the corners of each 3x3" squares on the screen, I would like to flip them to flower on the 1st but if the canopy does not look full then I can go at most another 7 days and flip on the 8th of July and chop them at week 9 as I'm getting home improvements and don't want them in the house with the workman.

Will oil enhancing nutrients help with weight overall?

I always do just 2 plants and fill up a 2.5x5 SCROG.
I usually get between 16 to 19 oz.

I am going to do two autoflowers next grow, both in 25 gallon no till fabric pots.
My "hope" is to get about 6oz per plant, 12oz in 9 weeks.

Almost sounds like you would be better off trying to grow 4 autoflowers though.
They could be finished from seed to harvest in about 9 weeks depending on strain.
If you can just get 3oz per plant you can get 12 oz in most likely under 10 weeks.

Autoflowers are a bit more hit and miss, you could end up with a couple d00bs or a couple pounds.
If you planted them in 10 gallon fabric pots in perfect soil or whatever the Hydro equivalent would be, and got full potential from each plant and picked the right strains and hold your tongue just right it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to get an average of 6+ oz per plant for around 24 oz and in less than 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom