HighUpNorth’s Soil Durban Grow Journal 2018

HighUpNorth

Strain: Durban (Feminized seed from Sensi Seeds)
90/10 Sat/Ind
Seedling just broke soil today
Indoor in grow tent 160x60x60 cm (63x24x24”)
Grow medium: Lightmix Soil (Plagron)
Pot size: Intent to put it in 11 Liter pot (2,9 gallon)
Lighting: 250W CFL (one for veg and one for flower)
No cooling, but ventilation system with carbonfilter to handle smell. Also a fan mounted in the tent.
Humidity: No yet known
PH: Whatever Light mix is :) But making sure water is around 6,0-5,8 (including nutes)
Watering frequency: Not yet known
Nutrients: BioBizz Root Juice, BioBizz Grow, BioBizz Flower and Canna PK 13-14.

Hi Everybody,

Welcome to my grow journal.
This is only my second ever grow. My first was an 'Easy Rider automatic' a few years back, that wasn't such a big success as I really didn't know what I was doing :)
This time around I've tried to prepare a little better and plan to take better care of my plant.

As you can see in the OP I have just started. I left my seed in a glass of water overnight, on a heat mat, and the tap root showed after approx 24 hrs. I then planted the seed in a Jiffy 7 pellet, watered and left it on the heating mat with a cover over. Today approx 36 hrs later I checked on it and it had broken soil.
So here I am on day 1 of veg.
2018-08-19 11.09.09.jpg2018-08-16 21.08.09.jpg

My first question though:

I sat around trying to get the pH level right for my first watering, which took a few tries, but eventually got there.
However, I guess that for the first several days I'm just watering in milliliters and I had to make 1,5 liters of water with nutes and pH down. Would I be ok to have that water just sit there and use it say for a week to 10 days? Or do I need to make a new batch for every watering? The mixture at the moment is 1,5 liter (tap-) water + 4 ml Root Juice and 5 ml pH down.

A short update.
I decided to keep using the same batch (until someone says it's a terrible idea or the waterings get a little bigger) and the little one is still alive and growing.

2018-08-21 19.58.26.jpg2018-08-21 19.58.01.jpg

Since it's a sativa strain and I expect it to grow a lot, I want to try to LST on it or maybe fluxing if I can get my head around it.

Anther question:
I plan to end up transplanting to an 11 liter (2,9 gal) pot. Should I transplant peat pellet into a smaller pot first and start topping and training in there and then later on transplant into final pot size? Or should I just transplant directly into final pot size? Either way, when should i transplant?

Hope some of you veteran growers out there can give me some pointers :)

Today I transplanted the peat pellet into a temporary little pot.
I also moved it to my grow tent where it will be in 18/6 for veg.

I have a 250w CFL in a reflector and also two 30w cfl bulbs.
However, after leaving them on for about an hour the temp inside was 36c/95f and RH 49%

I have just turned off the two 30w bulbs as they got fairly warm. Hope this will bring the temp down somewhat.
Not sure if RH at 49% is too low though?

Still watering with pH'd water and Root Juice solution and expect to be doing that for another 5 days probably.

Any input very welcome.
2018-08-23 18.46.58.jpg2018-08-23 17.26.42.jpg

Ok to keep batch mixed up. Keep in dark and lid off the container to let it breath. plant up again when roots are visible at the drain holes. regards
Hi improvise and welcome!
Good to hear about the water batch. And I'll keep an eye out for roots showing at the drain holes too.

RH see where it levels out at after turning off the 30w bulbs. regards
I turned off the bulbs and it helped out a bit with both temp an RH, though still not great. This evening I also put in a wet kitchen towel (and a bucket of water) to help with RH. I have however just ordered a small humidifier (Beurer LB12 mini) which I think should do the trick.
2018-08-24 22.23.57.jpg2018-08-24 22.23.38.jpg
Thanks a lot for the help!

I heard spraying the walls with a water mister helps RH. what size is the grow tent?

thats me new space i`am working on. regards

My tent is 60x60x160 cm. (2x2x5)
2018-08-26 13.55.22.jpg
Thanks, I started spraying the walls with water and it might give the RH a spike, though I think it evaporates quite fast, so not a long lasting effect. Looking forward to the humidifier arriving in a few days time.
My girl is looking good even though I thought she would have grown a bit faster... Patience I know :)
2018-08-26 13.56.00.jpg2018-08-26 13.56.54.jpg

I love it that you're able build your own grow space! What size will you end up with?

She is looking good. have you got a small fan to give her a little bit exercise (like a computer fan at appropriate distance from plant). Cheers, me woodwork at school came in handy lol, no proper mortise and tennon/dove tail joints just cave man style. It will be 5x6x8 feet. in the pic to the left, that green cover is my old grow box 3x4x5 feet made from two mens wardrobes. New space will be so liberating not having to deal with height issues. regards

A little update is due from my side. Have had too many things to do and therefore not had time for updates.
Today I transplanted to final pot size 11 liter/3 gal. Had let her dry up (I think 3 days since last feeding).
Some pic of the process:
2018-09-03 06.28.48.jpg2018-09-03 06.29.01.jpg2018-09-03 06.37.53.jpg2018-09-03 06.40.10.jpg

After transplanting I watered with about a gal of pH'd water.

I bought a humidifier that makes a huge difference, As long as it doesn't run empty it keeps RH between 50-80%.

The temperature is still causing me a bit of grief as it is often well above 30 deg celsius.
My vent just has one speed, and I have my window open in the room I have the tent and I also have a fan now pointed at the air intake mesh in the tent, but really nothing helps it seems. Any advise on how to mitigate this heat issue?

Wouldn't worry bout it, all above nice and healthy. How far away from the cfl is she, cause you can get them pretty close to cfls, pity bout temps at minute running two would be better than one but jst my opinion don`t go mental lol. Once you get ducting in place see where temps go and take from there me thinks. Damn that acoustic ducting is fidly and itchy to work with (talking bout setting new space up getting there at a snails pace but that's how i roll. regards

Back
Top Bottom