Home Grow Paranoia?

Akephalon

I've been spending bit of time reading threads here about home grows and how people need to keep their mouths shut about growing to avoid any number of pitfalls (the fuzz, grow rips, etc.). I've got my four plants going in my basement and while I'm not taking out full-page ads in my local paper, I am fairly open about the fact that I'm growing and there are several people who are aware that I have a small setup going.

Time was I wouldn't be so open about these things. I used to work in the correctional system and as a result needed to keep things nice and quiet to avoid any issues at work, and I certainly wouldn't have been growing prior to legalization. In fact, I dealt with several individual who had been picked up for growing (larger crops, obviously) and one client of mine had been convicted of murder after killing a guy during a grow rip.

I'm not worried personally about anything happening to me as a result of my gardening, but what about you folks? Are you more open about it now that things are nice and legal? Do you worry that you may attract the attention of unsavoury individuals? Have you just dummied up because you're used to keeping things quiet?

If I had 4 plants, I'd probably not be too concerned, but I have a medical grow, and am allowed up to 40 plants... that could be appealing to rippers... I keep things quiet, cept family, and even camouflage my supplies when I bring em in (apartment building)
Even though I'm allowed 40, I generally have about 20 or so, and at various stages of growth, I grow for perpetual harvest, so they really wouldn't get much anyhow, and I never seem to have any left over :(

The only people who know about my grows are the fine folks here.
And nobody knows where I live.. :ciao:
While it might be legal to grow four plants, that takes an effort and a cash out lay to produce a decent crop. This alone will bring out the more unsavory types. Someone always wants something for nothing.

(In Canada) I would prefer to be growing outdoors but law says plants cant be visible from public property, and we have a park path the runs right down beside out back yard. So I am confined to indoors. Have a beautiful tent that vents straight outside. Only potential issue is odour which neighbours may not enjoy, although there is enough of the cana smoke drifting back over the fence I can probably buy his cooperation if necessary with a legal gift lol.
Wife just doest want park users pointing at our house and wispering "thats the house that smells like weed" I figure people will just blame the skunk cabbage in the pond :)

Even though it is going legal in my state for medical, there is still risk. The old adage was that with every person you told outside of your inner circle, you just upped the odds by 20% that you were going to eventually get busted or ripped off or worse. Tell five people, and it is a certainty that something will happen.
For me, there is a special problem. I am very active in my community and in the case of a disaster I am a first responder. In this capacity I have regular dealings and personal friendships with local Fire and PD and often have them at my home. If I let it out that I am a medical grower, that would be fine legally, but my relationship with these folks would change. They would begin to exclude me, because they can not / will not become involved in our world. Then there is the workplace. If I wasn't executive staff, there would be a drug test. Let's just make sure there is never a need to go there.
So, I don't advertise. Smokers go to the basement or outside. There can be no exceptions.

I stay quiet about my grows beyond my immediate family who I share with. I just know how some people are. Not everyone has good intentions but then again I'm not growing only 4 plants indoors. But I do grow 4 autos outdoors on multiple properties in the summer though just to see what I'll get for my region. Can stay legal and have plants all over the place.

(In Canada) I would prefer to be growing outdoors but law says plants cant be visible from public property, and we have a park path the runs right down beside out back yard. So I am confined to indoors. Have a beautiful tent that vents straight outside. Only potential issue is odour which neighbours may not enjoy, although there is enough of the cana smoke drifting back over the fence I can probably buy his cooperation if necessary with a legal gift lol.
Wife just doest want park users pointing at our house and wispering "thats the house that smells like weed" I figure people will just blame the skunk cabbage in the pond :)

Fence your yard and put lots of plants that smell foul on the outside of it. Skunk weed etc let them just think you like smelly plants ;)

Or complain about peeping toms and demand that the local municipality install a privacy fence or privet hedge, lol.

Cannabis forums provide an excellent outlet for those who feel compelled to tell others about their business. They can share to their heart's content, even post pictures and have "comparison grows."

I am glad that they exist.

The old adage was that with every person you told outside of your inner circle, you just upped the odds by 20% that you were going to eventually get busted or ripped off or worse. Tell five people, and it is a certainty that something will happen.
True that Emilya! :dude-knocking:

Back
Top Bottom