Home Made LED Panels

I have read about using LEDs before. The one key problem that the users had was closing in the distace between the cannapy and the light pannels while still effectivly using all the lights. I had an image in my head of a "Box or Dome" put over the plants and wasnt as effective as thought would be. They combined it with low watt HPS and were amazed @ the growth. I believe i saw this grow in a HT magazine. Ill see if i have it still. Hope that encourages you to suceed. Im rooting for you

PS do they put out any heat? I've not heard anything relating to the topic. Hope to hear from you

Hi Yall!

Still working on a led solution but this is what we have so far.

The new veg cabinet:

The Blue Cup lite
030a.jpg

The spot in the center will be for 3w blue led.

031a.jpg

The mixed led spot.

047a.jpg

Mixed 11x14 grow & flower panel

048a.jpg

Mixed 8x10 grow & flower panel

053a.jpg

The 3w 140 lumen red led

056a.jpg

The led and power resistor.

It's funny all I could find on a Saturday was this big 10w power resistor from radio shack. This next project will add 540 lumens of 620-640nm red light to the mix. I am almost done with a data sheet to finished panel to help anyone else with there design. Hopefully I can help you from making mistakes I have already made.

The next project will be a 300w panel using 3w leds. If anyone can supply me with the light spectrum requirements for cannabis it would be a great help.
Thanx

Pan4

Hey Pan, google proycon 100.. there are some good forms on there that give all kinds of info on LEDS and cannabis... Just do a little looking.... There is a ton more articles and grow logs that were not there when I was researching mine... :peace:

Hi Yall.

Let's get this started ok its all about light. The color of the light to be more specific thats were led's fail us. They lack in the far red plants use more light in 650mn to 680mn. Sadly red leds lack this most are emitting 640mn the end of what the eye can see. Thats why leds can't flower not enough far red.

Make up of an ideal led panel:
2% UVB Leds for resin and tric production.
6% Royal Blue Leds 455mn
12% Blue Leds 470mn
30% Red Leds 627mn
50% Far Red leds 660mn

I found leds to use in testing but have to buy 2000 of them just to test minimum order is 2k. So after x-mass I will give them a shot.

Pan4

The photo spectrum:

specmove.gif

Chlorophyll a, the most important light-absorbing pigment in plants, does not absorb light in the green part of the spectrum.

So as you can see:
Make up of an ideal led panel:
2% UVB Leds for resin and tric production. 380mn
6% Royal Blue Leds 455mn
12% Blue Leds 470mn
30% Red Leds 627mn
50% Far Red leds 660mn

Sunlight contains 4% ultraviolet radiation, 52% infrared radiation and 44% visible light.
I would stay away from amber leds I have seen I studies that show an increase in hermaphrodites.
I will go into Chlorophyll b when I can find the graphic again.

Pan4

Yeah, this is "green technology research and development project" I can believe in. Note to self, submit grant application immediately.

isn't there an american made high output LED out there [cree?]

how do you figure out lumens on LEDs real world measurements
with light meter or quantum meter or from tech data sheets

how much $$ is tied up in matierals?

Yes is a real mess trying to figure out just how much light is produced.
Most led data sheets have light measured in MCD or micro candles.
They also have the dispersion angle mixed in to the measurement. Since there is really no standard since the manufacturer measures this light output.

I am currently making my light meter so I can measure the light myself.

Yes I have some the Cree leds for testing 1w, 3w and a 5w.

I want to get back to the project but the time and money are in short supply.
After the garden is completed I will have some time. Only two projects left there.

Just to let you know this is not done yet.:grinjoint:

Pan4

Kudos pan4. If it weren't for those dedicated to doing research, we'd all be trying to grow under kerosene lanterns. Thanks for your willingness to experiment. Really interesting stuff.

anyone heard any thing new on this LED project hey pan4 are you going to suprise us by showing up at the baseball park in SF on opening day by committing stoner terrorism and stealing the wood bats and replacing them with monster LED grown colas... we wish

Back
Top Bottom