Homebrew Water Farm

Growing247

Greeting fellow growers. Recently I switched from growing with soil and Smart Pots to growing with deep water cultures. I find my plants get larger and also better yields as opposed to growing with soil indoors. I use 5 gallon black buckets for my DWC and I also purchased several GENERAL HYDROPONICS FARM KIT ITEM # 4116 with the intention of adding a drip ring system to my DWC. It is basically the drip ring and the tube for a water farm minus the buckets. It sells for 14.00 bucks. What I did was basically construct my own hydroponics system similar to the Gen. Hydro "Water Farm" for a lot less money. I took a 5 gallon BLACK bucket with a BLACK netpod lid. Used a soldering iron to poke a hole in the side of the bucket near the top for the airline for the bubble stone and ran the airline and added my bubble rock. Next, I removed a little bit of plastic from the bottom of the netpot so the tube that holds the drip ring would be held in place. I bought a HASH PLANT clone and washed the dirt off, dipped in miticide and put it into the netpot. Next, I filled the netpot with expanded clay pellets, added my nutrient solution and plugged in my 4 line airpump. I now have a pimped out home built waterfarm that cost a lot less than a GH model. The Farm Kit was 14 bucks. The black bucket, bubble stone and netpot lid were 10 dollars and the hydroton was 10 also. I already had several air pumps and airline so I didn't need to buy that stuff. So, for around 35 bucks I built my own Water Farm that actually works better than a Gen Hydro model water farm because on mine the roots don't clog the little holes on the waterfarm and cause them to flood over so this way is better. The roots get so big and healthy when you add SENSIZYM to your res also. Cannot say enough about how well this stuff works at keeping the res clean without using harsh chemicals. I will post a few pics of my work. I got A sony digital cam today so once I upload the pics I will post them here.

All sound brill bro, any pics of your project, how longs the tubing from that kit,HYDROPONICS FARM KIT ITEM # 4116, found a good way of building one of them Air lifts, i used it this year, im using it in me greenhouse, works real well, although a bit on the loud side, ended up buiding it as i didn't know how long that tube was, would have been much easer to buy one, never mind but here's what i built anyway Free Building Plans Hydroponics Drip System Plans it took a lot of testing to thing the right width for the tubing,but now the water solution will work it's way upto three feet, with only four inches deep in the bucket.

me too, great way to grow.
DSC007813.JPG

you can cut down the tubes to fit your bucket. I try to keep the drip ring lower than the rim of the bucket, and close to the hydroton. the drip rings splatter a lot.
I have all of my buckets plumbed together, with another bucket on the side to change nutes, and check ph and ppm.

Have you used just the general hydro grow system before you made these new ones? If so, were you impressed with them? I would assume no, because you made new ones but I got 4 of the GH setups given to me so I was just curious...I was thinking to use them but just add a air stone by drilling into the bottom bucket and running a tube for it...Oh, I wasn't trying to sound shitty in my last post so sorry if it came off that way.....Thanks

I've used one of the GH, side by side with a homebuilt. exact same results, awesome. buckets end up full of roots. black buckets are just a little cheaper, and easy to set up if your hydro store has baskets and drip ring kits.
no offense taken on the scraggly plants, check out my deep purple journal to see how I ended up growing next to the sickly plants. I look forward to turning them around, and getting some bud from them. airstones may or may not help, but drill some extra drain holes in the basket.

Back
Top Bottom