Homemade CFL chandelier

What do you think of my idea?

• That's a good idea. I like it.

Votes: 56 94.9%
  • That's stupid, try to make somthing when your not high.

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

sLiCe

IMG_00193.jpg

This just just somthing I built for my 1st grow, using the following materials (found at any local hardware store):

I aranged them to make two contraptions like this:

To finally make one of these:

They are plugged into a 3-plug splitter, and I secured them with rubber bands to prevent them from falling out.

Seems to work very well - and easily allows me to get 4 CFLs to cover a very small area. Questions/Comments?

I'd only worry about those rubberbands. . . I would imagine they will deteriorate pretty quickly with the heat the base of those lights can produce. . . I know its not really hot, but it can dry that rubber pretty quickly I think, maybe better with some electrical tape. . good idea I think, I am constantly rethinking my CFL situation. . .:smokin:

hey that's cool, slice... bagz and S4L already said what i was gonna say about the rubberbands. i use the same Y for my cab, but it's there pretty securely so i dont need to tie them with anything

Thanks for the input guys!

I replaced the rubber bands with a large zip tie, and made sure it did not cut through the middle of the prongs on the plug. Glad you guys like the idea; So far I've found that its a great solution to providing alot of light to a small space (in my case 1 single plant)

I can't wait to start my CFL. I have it all sketched out already. Have you considered getting the 150w CFLs? More light the merrier I always say.

Thats good bro , Now increase its output 2 the plant by wrapping the inside of the bucket with foil, mylar or white poly and if you really want to spend 5 minutes make a reflector for the top of the light with a couple hangers and some more of the reflective coating of your choice... very clever though... I like your style.

Here's one I made myself. Pretty much the same as the ones you guys made. A slight variation I thought was worth posting.

Here's all the parts I used.
DSC00392.JPG

Here it is assembled.
DSC00393.JPG

You could easily put six bulbs on a standard power strip. I personally am not using this setup because I have some HIDs and will only be using CFLs for the first two weeks of vegging, but thought some CFL users might like it. I recommend using zip ties to secure the fixtures to the power strip.

Here's one I made myself. Pretty much the same as the ones you guys made. A slight variation I thought was worth posting.

Here it is assembled.
DSC00393.JPG

You could easily put six bulbs on a standard power strip. I personally am not using this setup because I have some HIDs and will only be using CFLs for the first two weeks of vegging, but thought some CFL users might like it. I recommend using zip ties to secure the fixtures to the power strip.

That's exactly what i picked up from walmart yesterday, 4 100watt equivilent cfl's. I'm germinating seeds as i type. I am gonna go up and pick up 2 more lights tomorrow for that 6 total.The box i'm using is a 2 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft one. I wanna see if i can get my plant to grow as squat as Silentsmoke's.

Edit: Actually, i think ima do the middle y setup with 2 75watt hps bulbs from home depot. They screw into regular light fixtures. I think it'll create a good mix of spectrums and i'll make sure the box very well ventilated cause there are gonna be a lot of lights in a small space.

The concept does seem to be a good ideal for smaller spaces but you really should install a hood or reflector to get the most out of it. Fouros has the worst light penetrion abilities but they do run cooler than the HIDs, alot cooler.

You might want to use our gallery next time you post pics, all pics not from our gallery are eventually removed making this thread alot less useful for others to see.

i bet the old style ceiling light that has two sockets parrallel to the ceiling and oppposite each other would give better light pattern but yours is quicjker and EASY will try this in a fridge type mother
cab [ its small] next time i set up a run in the garden.... i like the zip ties idea i use several groups of them on the walls in my big cab as routing paths for wires but leave some loose enough to
change wires

Back
Top Bottom