Homemade CO2 generator - Yea or no?

Ace88of420

I'm sure there have been threads about this before and if so, I'm sorry.

First off, are they effective? I know there are multiple methods to make them, the in I'm most interested in is the sugar and yeast fermentation method.

Second, my 2 plants are not in a grow tent they are in a small, semi closed off space in my basement, so would any kind of co2 generator be something i should think about?

And finally, when should a co2 generator be used? In talking about through out the plants life, after a certain point of growing through harvest or just in veg?

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated

I don't believe most of those home-made CO2 generators are effective and don't recommend them. If you're going to use CO2, you need to be able to control the PPM's and, in addition to having no way to control the PPM's, you'll never get the PPM's high enough using fermentation.

I have used dry ice a few times, which should get significantly higher PPM's than with fermentation, but I only do it when I have some extra dry ice laying around, and I still can't control the PPM levels.

Here's a video showing this technique (not my grow!):

You would typically use CO2 during flowering to increase yield, although, some growers also apply during veg. Plants only use CO2 during the day, so you need lights on. The amount of CO2 a plant can process depends on the amount of light it's receiving but the general rule of thumb is to try to raise levels to 1,000 - 1,500 ppm.

Also, turn off the ventilation and stay OUT of the grow room!!!

I hope that helps!

:Namaste:

K

Yes. No big deal. But here are three threads I got from a site-search (for homemade co2):
DIY CO2 Generator
Stickydank's Basic CO2 Method
Homemade co2?

Perhaps something in there will be of use, IDK. Whoops, one of those is just a picture. Oh well.

First off, are they effective?

<SHRUGS>

Cannabis, under "average lighting and temperature" conditions, is capable of utilizing a fair amount of CO₂. The more light - and the higher the temperature, to an extent (there's a relationship between the three things), the more CO₂ it is capable of using.

You won't be adding heroic amounts of CO₂ with a homemade setup. And one assumes that you're venting your grow space - so what you are producing ends up not sticking around for more than a moment or so.

On the other hand... every little bit helps - whether you produce it by a yeast process, one of those mushroom bags, by moving your rabbit cages into the grow room, or by exhaling while you are in there.

And finally, when should a co2 generator be used? In talking about through out the plants life, after a certain point of growing through harvest or just in veg?

Cannabis plants consume CO₂ during lights-on (aka "daytime"). Many people only add supplemental CO₂ during the flowering phase because they have their plants under stronger lighting then - and this might raise temperatures. And that means they don't have to mess with taking their tank in to get refilled during the vegetative phase.

But I imagine that it uses it during the vegetative period, too (since it's alive then, lol). If you're using a low-budget homemade setup that you don't have to pay the man at the welding shop to refill for you, there's nothing stopping you from running it during both phases.

I'd say that any improvement you manage from this thing would be rather minimal. But if it's cheap to do...

First off, are they effective? I know there are multiple methods to make them, the in I'm most interested in is the sugar and yeast fermentation method.

Second, my 2 plants are not in a grow tent they are in a small, semi closed off space in my basement, so would any kind of co2 generator be something i should think about?

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated

Ace,

CO2 generators are effective if you understand how to use them correctly. A sealed room is really needed.

Most people who use CO2 are using them for one of two reasons. One is to increase yields of a crop. The other is to deal with heat. A plant which is supplemented with CO2 can handle a higher temperature. Like Mr. Kip stated, more light is required to utilize the CO2 completely.

But the sealed room is the key. If you are ventilating the room, all the CO2 is going outside, and not being consumed by the plant. Sealing a room can be more involved than it sounds. Temps rise, and you must make sure you are providing enough CO2.

There are other ways to handle using CO2, but efforts must be made to let the plant consume the CO2.

For personal growing, I wouldn't go with CO2, I would just provide a high rate of ventilation.

@Rider509 can give a lot of insight to CO2, for he runs a sealed room. I'm sure @Cultivator has some opinion as well on the subject......he has lots of experience using all kinds of methods.

...beat me to it, lol. I didn't see your post when I was entering mine.

I have used dry ice a few times, which should get significantly higher PPM's than with fermentation

It will. Possibly not over time - but certainly so during the amount of time it takes the solid chunk of CO₂ to sublimate into gas.

The amount of CO2 a plant can process depends on the amount of light it's receiving but the general rule of thumb is to try to raise levels to 1,000 - 1,500 ppm.

I've seen a LOT of grows where the amount of lighting wasn't sufficient to warrant 1,500 PPM of CO₂ (and plenty where 1,000 PPM might be a bit more than would be useful).

I might advise that the average grower who is not producing lots of illumination aim for something in the 800 to 900 PPM range. But that is just a guess on my part; I have not done any experimentation in order to attempt to nail down concrete CO₂ numbers in regards to the amount of lighting used. However, grows with a few hundred watts of CFLs or a blurple (or two) probably wouldn't show any more real benefit at 1,250 PPM than at 950 (again, "IMHO"). Unless the space was small enough that such lighting was at the upper end of "adequate" and bordering on "more light-energy than the plants are capable of processing at this level," of course.

For personal growing, I wouldn't go with CO2, I would just provide a high rate of ventilation.

Lol, yeah. With proper ventilation, one is constantly refreshing one's grow room atmosphere - and that includes the CO₂. The typical "central air equipped" house doesn't spend a lot of time with its windows open, but people (/pets) are still in there producing CO₂. . . .

Ok thank you, everyone, for your advice. It's sounding like co2 would be a bit of a waste for me because the room isn't sealed, it's not hot in there usually about 71F, and i don't think i have a really strong light it's a viper spectre 450 (i think). It was just a thought because i wasn't sure if they would be getting enough, they are always alone down there lol (i feel guilty about it but i can't spend a lot of time with them each day)

...beat me to it, lol. I didn't see your post when I was entering mine.

It will. Possibly not over time - but certainly so during the amount of time it takes the solid chunk of CO₂ to sublimate into gas.

I've seen a LOT of grows where the amount of lighting wasn't sufficient to warrant 1,500 PPM of CO₂ (and plenty where 1,000 PPM might be a bit more than would be useful).

I might advise that the average grower who is not producing lots of illumination aim for something in the 800 to 900 PPM range. But that is just a guess on my part; I have not done any experimentation in order to attempt to nail down concrete CO₂ numbers in regards to the amount of lighting used. However, grows with a few hundred watts of CFLs or a blurple (or two) probably wouldn't show any more real benefit at 1,250 PPM than at 950 (again, "IMHO"). Unless the space was small enough that such lighting was at the upper end of "adequate" and bordering on "more light-energy than the plants are capable of processing at this level," of course.

Lol, yeah. With proper ventilation, one is constantly refreshing one's grow room atmosphere - and that includes the CO₂. The typical "central air equipped" house doesn't spend a lot of time with its windows open, but people (/pets) are still in there producing CO₂. . . .

LOL! Yeah, I think we were composing our responses at the same time and I was just a little quicker on the "submit" button! ;)

I 420% agree with everything you said. I would not typically recommend CO2 for the average "hobby" grower and don't use CO2 personally. But, when I make dry-ice hash and have left-over dry ice....well...I need something productive to do with all that stuff! :rofl:

It's sounding like co2 would be a bit of a waste for me because the room isn't sealed, it's not hot in there usually about 71F, and i don't think i have a really strong light it's a viper spectre 450 (i think).

Under the circumstances, any benefit would be minimal (perhaps "only detectable through the use of very accurate measuring devices"). If by "viper spectre," you mean Viparspectra," then their "450w" is only a 200-watt (or thereabouts) device. You shouldn't need to add supplemental CO₂ unless it is lighting an enclosed grow space of four or less square feet, at a guess. Five, maybe. If larger than that, then I'd say that you are in NO WAY hitting your plants with more light-energy than they are capable of processing. Even at that relatively low temperature (wouldn't hurt to increase that seven to ten degrees).

Open your basement door once in a while - CO₂, being relatively heavy, sinks. Or, if you have central air and it includes vents in the basement, that's already covered.

LOL! Yeah, I think we were composing our responses at the same time and I was just a little quicker on the "submit" button!

I tend to open anywhere from a few to... IDK, a couple dozen threads in separate browser tabs, then go through them one at a time. Occasionally, someone posts while I'm busy dithering on a different thread.

I 420% agree with everything you said.

Thanks, but... Everything, lol? Don't do that - I wouldn't ;).

I would not typically recommend CO2 for the average "hobby" grower

<LAUGHING> Well, you know. People do tend to like to screw around with shi-- err, stuff. I've seen plants that were half "loved to death." (And a few pets:rolleyes: .) This kind of thing gives a person something to tinker with. They're not going to produce enough CO₂ to endanger their plants with the usual homemaker methods, especially in a ventilated space. And it keeps them from hassling their poor plants.

It's like giving a little boy a rubber mallet and an anvil to play with so he won't screw with your power saw and drill - only safer, lol.

Under the circumstances, any benefit would be minimal (perhaps "only detectable through the use of very accurate measuring devices"). If by "viper spectre," you mean Viparspectra," then their "450w" is only a 200-watt (or thereabouts) device. You shouldn't need to add supplemental CO₂ unless it is lighting an enclosed grow space of four or less square feet, at a guess. Five, maybe. If larger than that, then I'd say that you are in NO WAY hitting your plants with more light-energy than they are capable of processing. Even at that relatively low temperature (wouldn't hurt to increase that seven to ten degrees).

Open your basement door once in a while - CO₂, being relatively heavy, sinks. Or, if you have central air and it includes vents in the basement, that's already covered
Ok thank you for the advice, that is what i was talking about for the light lol I'm just not right next to it and it's been a little while since i looked at the name, but at least you understood what i meant. As for the co2 being relatively heavy, that's why i wasn't too concerned about it but i want to do what i can to help my plants and that's what lead me to asking. As for the temperature, will raising it that bit like you said give me a noticeable difference in the end? I've got it set up so if it goes below 70 a heater will kick on but if it will make a difference in the end i will gladly turn it up lol

I don't know that I'd worry about it; I just wouldn't worry about cooling if it goes up (to a reasonable amount).

Actually, I might want more heat if I was using more light. Double your light (or... something, lol, I still don't know what size space you're illuminating) and it might be more significant. Then again, doubling the light adds heat, so it'd probably end up being a problem that solved itself.

I look for UPPER 70s to mid 80s, with about a ten degree nighttime differential. Unless I'm trying to accomplish something different. With lots of light, I am not going to worry overmuch about 86°F (and in the Summer, I'd be thankful if I saw that, because it gets hot hot hot here in this crummy house, in the upper story, in the hottest room, with lights, etc.).

Strain choice plays a factor, too. If you're growing equatorial strains, you want warmer temperatures (and - no offense - a great deal more light). If, OtOH, you are growing something from cooler regions, adjust accordingly. It's like... Take an Eskimo and a Libyan and swap their locations, and they'd both be pretty miserable.

I'd love to be able to grow plants in my basement. It's cooler down there. Alas, the humidity is pretty much as high as it can physically get and this isn't really something I can do much about (got a *&$%ing SPRING outputting into the basement, FFS!) - it's far easier to grow black mold down there than plants :rolleyes: .

<LAUGHING> Well, you know. People do tend to like to screw around with shi-- err, stuff. I've seen plants that were half "loved to death." (And a few pets:rolleyes: .) This kind of thing gives a person something to tinker with. They're not going to produce enough CO₂ to endanger their plants with the usual homemaker methods, especially in a ventilated space. And it keeps them from hassling their poor plants.

It's like giving a little boy a rubber mallet and an anvil to play with so he won't screw with your power saw and drill - only safer, lol.

:rofl:

That is true wisdom speaking!!!

I don't know that I'd worry about it; I just wouldn't worry about cooling if it goes up (to a reasonable amount).

Actually, I might want more heat if I was using more light. Double your light (or... something, lol, I still don't know what size space you're illuminating) and it might be more significant. Then again, doubling the light adds heat, so it'd probably end up being a problem that solved itself.

I look for UPPER 70s to mid 80s, with about a ten degree nighttime differential. Unless I'm trying to accomplish something different. With lots of light, I am not going to worry overmuch about 86°F (and in the Summer, I'd be thankful if I saw that, because it gets hot hot hot here in this crummy house, in the upper story, in the hottest room, with lights, etc.).

Strain choice plays a factor, too. If you're growing equatorial strains, you want warmer temperatures (and - no offense - a great deal more light). If, OtOH, you are growing something from cooler regions, adjust accordingly. It's like... Take an Eskimo and a Libyan and swap their locations, and they'd both be pretty miserable.

I'd love to be able to grow plants in my basement. It's cooler down there. Alas, the humidity is pretty much as high as it can physically get and this isn't really something I can do much about (got a *&$%ing SPRING outputting into the basement, FFS!) - it's far easier to grow black mold down there than plants :rolleyes: .
Luckily it doesn't feel too humid in my basement and judging by the lack of condensation on the pipes i don't think i have to worry about it being too humid. As for the lighting (no offense taken btw) it's my first grow light so i wanted st effective without breaking the bank, because let's face it unless you're rich who wants to dump a load of money into st they don't know if they are going to be any good at lol. The space that I'm lighting isn't big at all there's only 2 plants so i have them pretty close to the light, as for the room itself, it's the space under the stairs leading into the basement so it's small. I can't give any actual measurements because i recently moved here and my measuring tape is mia. The strain is og kush rolex, i know it's an auto which means it has the ruderalis in it and they come from a cooler region but other than that idk what this plant would prefer

Back
Top Bottom