Homemade Pest Control

SmokeyMacPot

Soap/Oil spray for insect pests:
Probably the best overall insecticide recipe is made from dishwashing liquid and cooking oil. It should be applied more frequently than chemical pesticides, but then again, you don't really want to use poison inside your home. Here is the recipe:
1/2 teaspoon dishwashing liquid
1/4 teaspoon cooking oil
1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in a small spray bottle. Mist upper and under sides of leaves every 10 days to control mealy bug, spider mite, aphids, thrips, or any other sucking or chewing insects.

Fungicides are among the most toxic chemicals. Here are a few alternatives:
Listerine - Mix 1 teaspoon of Listerine into 1 quart of warm water
Hydrogen Peroxide - 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon baking Soda, 1/4 teaspoon cooking oil in 1 quart warm water
All of the above recipes should be mixed directly into the sprayer and applied every 10 days or until there is no evidence of fungus.
Cinnamon powder dusted directly onto damaged or cut areas prevent fungus on orchids.

Willow Twig Rooting Hormone
If you like to grow plants from cuttings, you can make your own homemade rooting hormone by boiling water, then steeping willow twigs overnight. Dip the cut end of the cutting into the solution prior to potting. The unused solution can be stored in the refrigerator.

Homemade Mole Repellant
If you have trouble with moles in your garden, they are probably looking for grubs and worms that live just below the surface. Control the grub population and the moles will look elsewhere for a meal. Here is a recipe that takes care of grubs. it will also kill earthworms, so apply this during midday when the earthworms are deep in the soil.
1 tablespoon Castor Oil
2 Tablespoons dishwashing liquid
1/2 cup water
Mix soap and oil in blender until thick. Add water and mix again. Blend mixture with 2 gallons of water in a watering can. Sprinkle over mole infested areas.

Peppers to keep squirrels away:
If squirrels (or cats!) are digging in your garden, coarsely grind hot chili peppers in your blender and sprinkle them over your garden beds. The squirrels don't like the 'hot foot' sensation and will dig elsewhere. Use the hottest chilies you can find! You may have chili seedlings appear the next spring, but simply pull them out as if they were weeds. do not touch your face or eyes after handling chili peppers.

Deer Repellent:
One egg beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon oil
hot chili peppers
1 quart of water
Mix in blender, strain through cheesecloth, store in refrigerator. Apply frequently and especially after a rain or irrigating
-or-
Hang bars of soap in your trees and shrubs to repel deer

bump. the soap works good on spider mites. what i do is spray the whole plant then rinse it off 30 min later. and thanks carp.

how do you rinse the plant?

Very good info here. Glad you put this up. I have used the soap method and it works as long as you dont overdo the soap. LOL

MRS MV...:smokin:

Nice .... I thought it was gunna be with like all kinds of weird chemicals that i dont know what they are ... Sounds simple enough for me .....

Ive just used your mixture on my plant SMP. I found these little bugs or spiders making a home on my plant. I must say Im glad that I went looking for answers on how to be rid of the little buggers and came across your helpfull hints. So do you have to rinse the plant 30 min after spray? :adore: Thanx Smokey and thanx 420, without you guys it would be hard for us first timers Heres one for ya :bong:

if they are really tiny then they are spider mites kill those. they arnt really spiders more like a tick. they suck the clorophil from th leaves. and yes you do rinse off the plant. hold the plant sort of at an angle and rinse it off. try not to get the water on the soil. but yeah thanks

PICTURES lol

Back
Top Bottom