Homemade propagation dome - How much light? LED's

beast88

Building a homemade propagation dome to start my seeds in from a large rubbermaid container since I wish to use 4'' rockwool cubes and standard propagation domes are not large enough. My question is how much light from LED's should i use for my dome? I am looking at 12, 24 and 36W led's. Also looking at maybe getting 2 for better coverage for my 5 seedlings. Whatcha all think?

Well propagation dome or not, still looking for some small lights to start my seeds/clones off.
Im one of the biggest advocates of growing with LED but for that you can just use a few 24w (100w equivalent) cfl's in 6500k color temp and save yourself some bux. If your stuck on using led for it anyways I would look at Mars Hydro's smallest led.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I agree with fanleaf. No advantage to spending $$$ on a LED bulb for cuttings. Use whatever is cheapest and will cover the area. They don't need much light while getting established.

use a few 24w (100w equivalent) cfl's in 6500k color temp and save yourself some bux
Use whatever is cheapest and will cover the area. They don't need much light while getting established.

good info - not much light - cheap cfl's - how far to place the lights from the cuttings? - directly under the lights?

how far to place the lights from the cuttings? - directly under the lights?

Not at all critical. You are mainly supplying the cuttings with the proper photoperiod to help them realize they should be growing roots and veg'ing. You aren't actually trying to grow plants at this stage.

Why a 4" rockwool cube? You must be planning on a hydro grow(?). I ask only because I hate rockwool.

Not at all critical. You are mainly supplying the cuttings with the proper photoperiod to help them realize they should be growing roots and veg'ing. You aren't actually trying to grow plants at this stage.

Why a 4" rockwool cube? You must be planning on a hydro grow(?). I ask only because I hate rockwool.
I dont like rockwool either. I have some still from my only purchase of it. I should probably toss it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The 4'' rockwool cubes was to try and get the largest root system possible before planting into my final container. I have come to realize this is defiantly not necessary but thought it might help. Maybe I will settle on a small air pot to be able to re-use
The deal is I have 1 grow room that I will be able to fill with half the total number of plants i am allowed to grow. I would like to have a few small led's to veg the other half while i am waiting for the original half to finish flowering, so some wattage would be necessary, but I am not sure if I have the room.

The key to the best root system you can get isn't rockwool but rater a healthy medium that will encourage root growth. Probably the biggest factor for massive root growth for a newer grower is to not overwater.

Sent from my android from outer space!

The key to the best root system you can get isn't rockwool but rater a healthy medium that will encourage root growth. Probably the biggest factor for massive root growth for a newer grower is to not overwater.

Exactly!
I'll add the grow medium should be something that is light/loose, does not compact easily, with plenty of drainage, and is PH compatible with our crop. Rockwool should fill the bill, but I had PH nightmares with it.

I'm not a big fan of rockwool either. I got a big sheet of 1.5x1.5" (or close to that) squares for my first clone attempt. I had the highest success rate putting clones in rockwool, but not much better and not really worth it IMO. It could have also just been the ambient conditions were more favorable to clones at that time, it's been cooler and less humid for recent attempts. As the rockwool ages/wet-dry cycles/gets covered with dust/whatever, it becomes slightly hydrophobic.

Since rockwool is technically a hydro grow, the roots in the rockwool need 5.5 pH (IIRC). The roots in soil need 6.5 pH. I believe it is that which caused some slight nute problems for me with the small cubes in a 16 oz cup. Once the majority of the roots were outside the rockwool, the plants did much better. I now use sifted soil from the start and it's much better (the cheap store brand soil I use to start seeds/clones has a fair number of wood chips and sticks in it). You can also get peat starter blocks which I've heard good things about but never used myself.

my best cloning (4 for 4), i used willow tea and then straight into good soil. was i just lucky?
Maybe, but the op wasnt talking clones. He was talking sprouting seeds in rockwool.

Back
Top Bottom