Honey Oil

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
I just watched a clip on Youtube called " Making honey oil with isopropyl flame". I have never heard of this technique although I have used pure isopropyl on a number of occasions to make my own oil with great success.
The idiot in the clip sort of does things right, up to the stage where he opens his mouth. This fuckwit does his steeping and filtration ok, but then, after he squeezes the filter to get the residual solvent out, he puts a lighter to his hand and ignites it - to demonstrate the risk of fire. WTF!!! Then, after he has filtered, he pours the iso solution onto a dinner plate (no joke) and ignites it to burn off the iso to get what he calls honey oil.
This is the most outrageous way of making honey oil, and is a recipe for a catastrophic disaster.
I don't know how to insert a link, but go and check it out. How NOT to do it.
Where do I send flowers?

koll il chek it out

The idiot in the clip sort of does things right, up to the stage where he opens his mouth. This fuckwit does his steeping and filtration ok, but then, after he squeezes the filter to get the residual solvent out, he puts a lighter to his hand and ignites it - to demonstrate the risk of fire. WTF!!!

Shades of Richard Pryor
Whoosh

is it really safe to use isopropyl alcohol? Is it any better than a ethanol solvent (95%). Man if I could get my hands on some hexane I could make some fine honey oil easily without the mess of low-boiling butane

Yeah I know you have to be in well ventilated areas when working with those types of compounds. I'd like to think im somewhat experienced with working with organic solvents because I took an organic chemistry lab in the spring and we used all sorts of volatle toxic stuff every day. Of course all of our reactions were in a ventilated hood that sucked up vapors. The best place to work with solvents is under an electric stove that has a powerful fan or outdoors when there is a good breeze

Yeah I know you have to be in well ventilated areas when working with those types of compounds. I'd like to think im somewhat experienced with working with organic solvents because I took an organic chemistry lab in the spring and we used all sorts of volatle toxic stuff every day. Of course all of our reactions were in a ventilated hood that sucked up vapors. The best place to work with solvents is under an electric stove that has a powerful fan or outdoors when there is a good breeze

I don't wish to be critical but, what, are you NUTS? I agree that under a lab hood is the best way. But, in your kitchen? A lab hood has a different flow system. It uses fans to create directional air flow(it's a vacuum hood). A kitchen exhaust fan typically blows air through the electric fan. NOT A GOOD IDEA! An electric motor can compress the gas, and is an incredible source of arcing(sparks). If you must do it indoors, I recommend turning off your gas to your house(outside main), and all the electricity too. If you want to use fans, turn on the one circuit breaker you need, and make sure NOTHING else is on, or even plugged into that line(no light switches, or refrigerators either, it's a lot to check). Be overly cautious. Make sure your fans pump fresh air through the room to an larger, open exit. Again, push solvents out with a fan, not through a fan! 420 and out.:cool:

yes always use extream caution when using these flameable substances. i know a guy who put the isopropyl oil mixture in a hot oven and shut the door, it blew the oven door off and accross the kitchen. I also knew of a house close to my home where someone was making oil in the basement, and venting the fumes out through the chimney. they had forgot to shut off the water heater, when it kicked in and the flame/ heat went through the chimney it ignited the alcohol fumes and the explosion blew the house off of the foundation.

so always be careful.

yes always use extream caution when using these flameable substances. i know a guy who put the isopropyl oil mixture in a hot oven and shut the door, it blew the oven door off and accross the kitchen. I also knew of a house close to my home where someone was making oil in the basement, and venting the fumes out through the chimney. they had forgot to shut off the water heater, when it kicked in and the flame/ heat went through the chimney it ignited the alcohol fumes and the explosion blew the house off of the foundation.

so always be careful.

If you are using heat with a flammable liquid use a fondue electric type pot, the electric parts are sealed because they are fully submersible. Double boiling makes it safer as most volatiles have a BP below 100C.

can anyone tell me what is the maximum amount of shake i can rinse with 1 gallon of Iso?

You will see the tricombs dissolve, if you place your shake on a coffee filter over the container you plan to evap in and wash slowly until you only see plant matter. Another way is to put it all in a mason jar and let it sit in a cool dark place for a few days (shaking occasionally) then filter what is in the jar and evap. If you use 91% iso the evap is alot quicker with no heat needed, maybe a heating pad or see mat if you have one but not necessary.

Not to resurrect a dead thread...
but I distinctly recall (from "marijuana botany") a comparison of THC extraction efficiencies of various solvents, and chloroform was the best, at something north of 95%. Alcohols were in the 90% range. But CHCl3 (chloroform) is toxic and probably bad for the environment, and efficiency is greatly enhanced by doing two or more extractions- imagine that you get 50% out per extraction... so round one gives 50%, round 2 gives half of the remainder (making 75% total), etc. So the exact solvent used might well be less important than the technique used.

More crucial is lack of exposure to light. Dry in the dark if possible: THC is light-sensitive.

FWIW, if extracting from leaves, etc., you will always get a substantial amount of wax- every surface of a plant is coated with wax to keep moisture inside, and the solvents that dissolve THC also dissolve wax. They can be readily separated by chromatography, but this is more work than most casual oil makers will really want to put in (and is not necessary).
:peace:

Norman

Back
Top Bottom