Household Products For Spidermites

gato

I have the signs of spidermites and was wondering if there is a commonly available household item to get rid of them. Wasn't sure if I had nutrients problems at first and thought maybe ph, but new soil is ph balanced and tests 6.5.

I read some things found on google and saw pictures that say it is spider mites. They said look to the underside for egg...and yes there seemed to be. My magnifying lens isn't that great...so I pinched the leaves between finger and thumb and wiped the leaves with slight pressure. The specks were removed from the leaf bottoms. I'm not in a place to get and likely not afford recommended treatments...so was wondering if there are common household items I can use?

Thanks

Rubbing alcohol and water. I've seen suggestions from 50/50 to 9:1 water to alcohol.

Neem oil is also effective, cheap, and likely available at a home improvement store or garden center. Just don't spray it on developed buds.

Spidermites don't like cold or wind so lowering temps slightly and increasing airflow will help slow their reproduction.

I'm not familiar with household items to get rid of them. They basically need to be suffocated or washed off. I'd pick some of the extra leafy growth. Less to treat is easier. I've read soap washes helps. When I had them green cleaner from hydro store helped. When you can try to get a usb microscope for your phone. Got mine on the zon 25$ really helps with bugs. Mites hatch every 3 days so keep at it
View media item 1638557

Thanks for the responses. Have no budget for purchases and gardening stores are miles away and I no longer have a car. Have some rubbing alcohol though...lol

Will give the alcohol sprays a try. Until I get a spray bottle...am going to try and crush any eggs using the finger and thumb swiping of leaves. Hopefully that will kill enough to temporarily stem them a bit.

Thanks again*

Doing the 2nd application of neem oil today. The most affected plant is looking green and growing vigorously. Think I read that neem oil has other beneficials also....other than mite control.

Assuming I'm to stop sprays after seeing no more mites and eggs and just keep and eye for them? Also saw no sprays on budding plants? I have 2 plants just showing first flower and thinking it should be ok for it's 2nd spray as well? They had lighter infestations than my Amnesia plant (Doing sprays weekly)...how long can I do the first flowers ones?

Thanks for the helpful info in the thread ...it has helped much.

Back
Top Bottom