How can I get my plants to produce feminized seeds?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
There are two methods that I am familiar with; Light-Poisoning, and Gibberellic Acid Treatment, both forcing female plants to produce male flowers and pollinate themselves. I have employed both methods, and both have yielded satisfactory results.

NOTE: YOU MUST START WITH FEMALE SEEDS/CLONES TO ENSURE THAT THERE WILL BE NO MALE CHROMOSOMES PRESENT.

LIGHT-POISONING METHOD:
During the first three weeks of flowering, turn the lights on for an hour during the middle of the dark period. That is, 12 hrs. on, 5.5 hrs. off, 1 hr. on, 5.5 hrs. off, and repeat for the first 3 weeks, after which you may return to the normal 12/12 light cycle. This causes a plant to go "hermie" and pollinate itself, as well as any other female in the room. You must use plants originating only from female seeds or clones to ensure that no male chromosomes are present. The resulting seeds will produce NO MALE PLANTS!

GIBBERELLIC ACID TREATMENT:
Select your favorite female plant and spray it from approx. two feet away (first under the leaves, then on top). This must be done 2 weeks before the plant is put into the flowering light cycle, thus the need to start with female seeds/clones. DO NOT SMOKE BUD TREATED WITH GIBBERELLIC ACID! Spray the plant again after 2 weeks have passed, and place it under 12/12 lighting. This plant will "hermie" and pollinate itself and other females present. It will not produce as much pollen as a pure male, thus less seeds. However, these seeds will be 100% female.

CONCLUSION:
Now, femenized seeds have also been known to produce hermaphrodites. This is just an evolutionary safety precaution to ensure the survival of the species in the event of environmental catastrophe. All seeds have the potential to hermie. Variables such as pH levels, lighting scenarios, fertilizer problems, etc. will also be factors in the outcome of the plant's sex. Just keep 'em healthy, and give them your tender, loving care, and you should be fine.

If gibberellic acid is placed in a microwave for a few seconds in the powder form would this destroy its ability to work once mixed. My friend accidently nuked his for a couple seconds.

I thought chemicals were the only way to engineer feminized seeds. Fascinating to learn about the light poisoning method. I wonder if you you can source feminized seeds commercially that are generated using the non chemical technique?

is there other ways you can get feminized seeds only?

Yeah, you can also use colloidal silver treatment, or the rodelization technique. Rodelization is interesting as the stress applied to the plant is just due to it not being fertilized by the end of its flowering cycle - less chance for hermies? I'm not really sure o_O*

I really would like to try the colloidal silver method. I have a real winning strain I want to preserve. I've got the most lemon tasting lemon diesel strain, awesome taste, awesome high, awesome bouquet and I know I can't keep a mother plant forever. I really don't want to either. Also got a couple clone only I want to preserve. If you do get into making seeds like this I would try the light poisoning method first. If that doesn't work try the Colloidal silver. I would only use the toxic chemicals as a last resort. Least that's what I would do.

Colloidal silver works well, tested it a couple of months back.

Spray the branches you want male flowers on and spray once before you start to flower and the first two days of flower.

Should give you nice male flowers purely on the branches sprayed.

Oh, and you want 30+ ppm colloidal silver, anything weaker may not work.

You can also use it for wound care and as a mouth wash :)

Plenty of tutorials on how to make your own, but is pretty cheap to buy

At around 30 bucks a bottle I think I will buy some silver wire, a 9 volt battery and some alligator clips and generate my own colloidal silver. I was looking at "Colloidal Silver Generators" for sale on amazon and they are 50 dollars plus for around 3 dollars worth of parts. For those interested I found this diagram that shows exactly how to make your own colloidal silver. A lot cheaper than buying it by the bottle...
how-to-make-colloidal-silver-generator-to-make-feminized-cannabis-seeds3.jpg

Colloidal silver works well, tested it a couple of months back.

Spray the branches you want male flowers on and spray once before you start to flower and the first two days of flower.

Should give you nice male flowers purely on the branches sprayed.

To clarify, spray day before 12/12 and next 2 days, don't wait to see flowers.

Nearly got myself into trouble as I forgot I was running the test, then noticed the balls had appeared like magic.

Spraying the branch or branches with CS suppresses ethylene production in bud sites, stimulating male characteristics. Apparently this is safer than stressing with light as it isn't forcing hermaphrosism on the plant, meaning less chance of seeds and plantations going herm when grown from those seeds.

If gibberellic acid is placed in a microwave for a few seconds in the powder form would this destroy its ability to work once mixed. My friend accidently nuked his for a couple seconds.

I have to clear things up here. Nuking GA3 (Gibberellic Acid) does not destroy it. I do it all of the time it works great. However I found that if you use denatured alcohol to dissolve it, no heating is needed.

Another misconception I want to clear up is this; Gibberellic Acid is NOT toxic. This is a lie created by fem seed dealers that want you to buy their seeds and not try to grow your own.

The fact of the matter is that GA3 is a natural plant growth regulator found in ALL plants. GA3 is an organic compound extracted from a certain kind of fungus that creates in in high amounts. Before the fungus was discovered, it was extracted in a very costly procedure from regular plants, harvested corn I believe. Corn does not have a lot in it so it took a lot of time, energy and corn waste to produce it. Its not a synthetic chemical. GA3 can different things to the same plant depending on what stage of growth they are in. In vegetative stage, ga3 can cause rapid and increased growth. When your plants show signs of new female flowers growing, spray them with GA3 100ppm, BenzylAminoPurine (BAP) 375ppm and Triacontanol 2ppm all mixed together in one solution. Then treat the root system with super bloom fertilizer. The numbers on the box will be something like 5-55-12. The first and last numbers dont matter. The middle number is what you are looking at. It needs to be 50 or higher, thats your phosphate.

The above formula will giver more, bigger, heavier buds

Also I want to add that GA3 is by far the easiest way to feminize seeds. Simply make a solution of 100ppm concentration and spray the plant daily for 10 days during flowering and male flowers will be produced. Collect the pollen and use it to hand pollinate the female flowers on the same plant using a small paint brush. Use the buds as you want. they are good. you can get GA3 on Amazon and ebay. I like amazon. $14.95.

Wow that's amazing does that process only work on female plants... I have a sprout and I'm 80 percent sure its a male I got the seed out of some mid I bought some month ago I was wondering if that only works for female plants. Yes Im starting out with mid. I don't want to waste money on loud just yet being that this my very first plant.

Wow that's amazing does that process only work on female plants... I have a sprout and I'm 80 percent sure its a male I got the seed out of some mid I bought some month ago I was wondering if that only works for female plants. Yes Im starting out with mid. I don't want to waste money on loud just yet being that this my very first plant.

Dunno, never tried it but it cant hurt to try. Theoretically it should work! Ive found that a lot of things Ive tried on a theory, have worked when it comes to plant growth hormones.

Ok well I think ima go with light poison idea later after I finish with the one I got. I can't afford to spray anything being that I have a 11 month old hell spawn

Back
Top Bottom