How Can I Get Rid Of These Whiteflies?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Whiteflies: clouds of tiny white insects fly up from foliage when disturbed, plants look generally unhealthy. Controls: sticky yellow traps. Insecticidal soap. Most general purpose insecticides, including neem, nicotine pyrethrin, Malathion, sevin.

five Tbsp hydrogen peroxide, a few drops of detergent in five or six cups of water. Misted it onto all surfaces of my plants liberally every other day. Gone in a week and a half to two weeks, no more eggs on leaves in three weeks and they haven't come back.

Safer brand yellow sticky traps just got covered with little white carcasses, but didn't control population.

I see you first posted in 2008. Can you still recommend the same mixture?

I have tried Castille Soap as well as Horticultural Oil. Also used SM-90, which I have used on Spider Mites with great success.

But these whiteflies are really a pain!!!

Another way to get rid of them, if its the right time of year is by using ladybirds, they can be bought online and are the cleanest most effective way of wiping out a bug infestation. The ladybirds will eat until the food has ran out then they will die. Just have a hoover ready at the end.

Actually I think you mean LadyBUGS and not Ladybirds.

And yes, I did get 1500 of them and they did a FANTASTIC job. And then afterwards they fly around and land on you and I take them outside to the veggie garden.

I see that. Did not know that. Thanks for the correction.

But they did do the job. Our little friends...

Least in controlled settings, I remember when I was a kid in the '60s and my Dad had bug problems with his Roses and Fruit Trees and wanted to be "natural/non-chemical" (I'm not sure if organic was even a term back then). He ordered some live Lady Bugs mail order, opened box and they all flew away and he never saw one again. He also did the same with Praying Mantis, opened box and they all flew over the fence and he never saw one again in his yard. Kind of like how Beer works good on Snails/Slugs, but if you have a dog you have to use small neck jars and not pot pie foil tins, he couldn't figure out how it was evaporating so fast and heard a noise when he was out filling them again and turned around and the dog was following him around the yard drinking up the beer, after that he would find lots of dead snails/slugs in his jars once the dog couldn't get to it ;)

Least in controlled settings, I remember when I was a kid in the '60s and my Dad had bug problems with his Roses and Fruit Trees and wanted to be "natural/non-chemical" (I'm not sure if organic was even a term back then). He ordered some live Lady Bugs mail order, opened box and they all flew away and he never saw one again. He also did the same with Praying Mantis, opened box and they all flew over the fence and he never saw one again in his yard. Kind of like how Beer works good on Snails/Slugs, but if you have a dog you have to use small neck jars and not pot pie foil tins, he couldn't figure out how it was evaporating so fast and heard a noise when he was out filling them again and turned around and the dog was following him around the yard drinking up the beer, after that he would find lots of dead snails/slugs in his jars once the dog couldn't get to it ;)

That is the problem with them. But you have to do like is recommended in most cases and "cage" the plants you are trying to rid of the aphids/flies.

greetings. if i might intrude on the post. i am battling these same little white beasts. i`m a novice, i didn`t notice them infesting a plant til it was so noticeable that i`m now afraid of ruining it. it`s maybe only a couple weeks away from harvest. before my treatment last night, it still had a lot of white pistils and the reds weren`t curled in yet. still has some beefing up to do, but i panicked and researched and doused her first with just the hose with as hard a spray as i could just putting my finger over a weak water pressure, and then with a spray of a biodegradable soap and water (i had expert opinions on the type of soap and dosage and all), but what i`m worried about is that the advice i read was to not get any on the buds. some buds were covered in this pest. i just doused the whole entire plant and others for prevention. now i notice the almost ripe one has zero white hairs. i must have blown them off with the hose, and it`s just full of red hairs. so i don`t know if this is going to come back to flowering and continue or if i`ve ruined it or what. it still has some of the pest on some of the leaves underneath, but i did a good job of getting the majority off. now i`m told to do the same wash with neem oil...once a week with soap and water, once a week with neem oil. then i read i can rinse the buds upon harvesting. so this is what happened and what i`ve done and what i`m planning to do from now. any advice would be greatly appreciated. fyi, i can`t get my hands on all those brandname products i`ve seen recommended, impossible, just chemical stuff and some organic like neem oil. not a garden center within many many hours from here.

Back
Top Bottom