How can I pinpoint what is causing fems to produce seeds?

Cwmoore577

Hey all,

So here's my issue.. I'm still a learner but I have gained a lot of experience and knowledge. This will be my 5th full grow seed to harvest and I'm finally at the point where my equipment, nutrients and environment produced quality dense buds in the run prior to this one. I was actually proud of my last purple punch harvest. Still, the previous harvest of purple punch (barneys) and white widow (seedsman inhouse) had some seeds although not many. Both were feminized photoperiod seeds. The white widow definitely hermed as it had noticeable nanners, likely pollinated the purple punch.

This run I planted a single wedding cake from barneys. Throughout veg and stretch it was smooth, no deficiencies, no noticeable problems at all. Buds looked great. Noticed some early calcium deficiency symptoms around week 6 of 12/12 and also saw the first seed in the bract. I see no nanners and nothing to indicate that it hermed but clearly has.

My question is there a way to narrow down what is causing this to happen back to back? I'd assume it would have to be either nutrients or environment since it happened to different strains. Plus barneys farm is a pretty well regarded breeder.

Here's a picture of my setup (this picture is from week 3 flowering, its now week 8 and has cal def symptoms)
image_16871169 - Copy.JPG

Big light is the 250 watt red spec BudgetLED and the smaller one is the 130 watt full spec BudgetLED with a UVA switch.
UVA has been on since about week 3 of 12/12.

My temps are pretty steady at around 77-80F, humidity around 40-45%

I water twice daily using drip stakes from a reservoir. My medium is 50/50 coco and perlite. I try to keep ratios somewhat close to lucas formula. Right now I use...
4ml/gal Calimagic
2ml/gal FloraMicro
5ml/gal FloraBloom
1.5ml/gal Liquid KoolBloom

roughly 0.7 EC and 480 PPM, pH 5.8-6.0 usually right at 5.9-5.95

N 55
P 54
K 96
Mg 33
Ca 71

Thanks!!

Great looking plant.

If there is a seed or two then there usually is at least one or two male flowers around somewhere.

Though it is possible that a female flower produced a seed on its own. Those seeds are not viable. They will not ripen, etc.

I usually find the occasional male flower under the canopy first and if the problem continues in the top buds sometime near or in the final two weeks or so.

Hey all,

So here's my issue.. I'm still a learner but I have gained a lot of experience and knowledge. This will be my 5th full grow seed to harvest and I'm finally at the point where my equipment, nutrients and environment produced quality dense buds in the run prior to this one. I was actually proud of my last purple punch harvest. Still, the previous harvest of purple punch (barneys) and white widow (seedsman inhouse) had some seeds although not many. Both were feminized photoperiod seeds. The white widow definitely hermed as it had noticeable nanners, likely pollinated the purple punch.

This run I planted a single wedding cake from barneys. Throughout veg and stretch it was smooth, no deficiencies, no noticeable problems at all. Buds looked great. Noticed some early calcium deficiency symptoms around week 6 of 12/12 and also saw the first seed in the bract. I see no nanners and nothing to indicate that it hermed but clearly has.

My question is there a way to narrow down what is causing this to happen back to back? I'd assume it would have to be either nutrients or environment since it happened to different strains. Plus barneys farm is a pretty well regarded breeder.

Here's a picture of my setup (this picture is from week 3 flowering, its now week 8 and has cal def symptoms)
image_16871169 - Copy.JPG

Big light is the 250 watt red spec BudgetLED and the smaller one is the 130 watt full spec BudgetLED with a UVA switch.
UVA has been on since about week 3 of 12/12.

My temps are pretty steady at around 77-80F, humidity around 40-45%

I water twice daily using drip stakes from a reservoir. My medium is 50/50 coco and perlite. I try to keep ratios somewhat close to lucas formula. Right now I use...
4ml/gal Calimagic
2ml/gal FloraMicro
5ml/gal FloraBloom
1.5ml/gal Liquid KoolBloom

roughly 0.7 EC and 480 PPM, pH 5.8-6.0 usually right at 5.9-5.95

N 55
P 54
K 96
Mg 33
Ca 71

Thanks!!
Hey @Cwmoore577 how are you my friend.
Great girl.
Your uvA is causing your issues.
Uva is actually bad for your girls. It gives them the equivalent of a sun burn.
As far as I know you are supposed to use it for a few minutes at the end of your grow cycle. They produce extra trichomes or just bigger to block out the sun burn.
I think leaving it on all the time is causing stress and therefore seedling your girls.
Just turn it off. For now.
Imo thats the problem.
Happy growing.
Bill

Could be from light leak, letting them grow too long (life finds a way), stress or a nanners you didn’t see. If it’s just a couple I don’t think it’s much of a worry.

Your plant looks great by the way.
Could be. I don't think much light gets in there though. There are parts of the tent stitching where I can see light from the outside but with the closet doors closed I don't think any could reach to do damage.
I should look into a higher quality tent in the future for sure though.

Great looking plant.

If there is a seed or two then there usually is at least one or two male flowers around somewhere.

Though it is possible that a female flower produced a seed on its own. Those seeds are not viable. They will not ripen, etc.

I usually find the occasional male flower under the canopy first and if the problem continues in the top buds sometime near or in the final two weeks or so.
Thank you. I've been looking for any male parts, nothing noticeable yet. The seeds are indeed not viable so far.
Hey @Cwmoore577 how are you my friend.
Great girl.
Your uvA is causing your issues.
Uva is actually bad for your girls. It gives them the equivalent of a sun burn.
As far as I know you are supposed to use it for a few minutes at the end of your grow cycle. They produce extra trichomes or just bigger to block out the sun burn.
I think leaving it on all the time is causing stress and therefore seedling your girls.
Just turn it off. For now.
Imo thats the problem.
Happy growing.
Bill
Thanks Bill, I did read about the UVA being a possible issue and I have since turned it off a few days ago. The recommendations from BudgetLED to turn it on after weed 3 of 12/12 might not have been the best advice.

Back
Top Bottom