How Can I Raise or Lower the pH of my Soil Mix?

Actually RO water will strip the soil and plants of nutrients such as calcium and magnesium, if you use RO water you might want to add CaMG+ to your solution.

It definitely will, that is why after flushing you need to add more RO water with nutrients at the desired pH so it does not change the pH you flushed the soil with.

i would like to add that flushing is for emergencies and not something you do everytime you have a minor flutuation. if your PH is only slightly out of whack, then you just need to water normally with PH modified water and it will correct the problem..flushing with ANY type of water will leech nutrients that you have not compensated for in the flush mix.

I was not stating that the soil be flushed with RO water and nutrients. Those need to be added to the soil after the flushing. The nutrients added will compensate for all nutrients lost from the flushing, given you are using the appropriate nutrients. And yes flushing is not for resolving minor issues.

I was not stating that the soil be flushed with RO water and nutrients. Those need to be added to the soil after the flushing. The nutrients added will compensate for all nutrients lost from the flushing, given you are using the appropriate nutrients. And yes flushing is not for resolving minor issues.

Peace bro
i was not disputing your words in any way, i was just padding the answer out a little for scan readers and newer folk that may ever so slightly misread or understand, since overwatering is probably a new growers most common mistake, its just a good idea to remind newer growers that while flushing IS kind of a magic fix all it probably isnt wise for them to assume they can flush too often. =)

edit: also flushing with a weak version of what you normally give then isnt necisarily a bad thing by my thinking. if your solution is not too strong, PH correct and has everything the plant needs including some oxygen it should still flush any excess salts out just fine and is probably (just my theory) less shocking to the plant than an alien fluid that it only ever tastes when being flushed. but if im honest i dont know for sure, havnt done a side by side comparison and havnt really read anyone agreeing or disagreeing, lol

Peace bro
i was not disputing your words in any way, i was just padding the answer out a little for scan readers and newer folk that may ever so slightly misread or understand, since overwatering is probably a new growers most common mistake, its just a good idea to remind newer growers that while flushing IS kind of a magic fix all it probably isnt wise for them to assume they can flush too often. =)

edit: also flushing with a weak version of what you normally give then isnt necisarily a bad thing by my thinking. if your solution is not too strong, PH correct and has everything the plant needs including some oxygen it should still flush any excess salts out just fine and is probably (just my theory) less shocking to the plant than an alien fluid that it only ever tastes when being flushed. but if im honest i dont know for sure, havnt done a side by side comparison and havnt really read anyone agreeing or disagreeing, lol

All good, I am trying to get my 50 posts so I can do more on the forums. For example I am very experienced with ebb & flow, and I am considering giving one of these a try in a couple months here: 4 - 8 x 42 Inch Tray Aerojet Hydroponic System
So I am going to need advice from others on the forum as to the best methods to use with this setup since I have 0 experience with it. Also, I didnt suggest flushing with nutrients since that is more costly and could also lead to problems if there are too many nutrients.

Oh wow, my mistake. I didnt read your prior posts thoroughly enough. I am currently in organic chemistry with a few other chemistry related courses so I sorta posted without thoroughly reading everything since my life is hectic atm. Didnt realize you were dealing with plants that are still babies, thought they were at least 50% done. Flushing shouldnt be necessary that early on with really good soil which I use FoxFarm for my mothers. At that point hitting it with a lower pH solution not below 5.5 should be sufficient. Sorry bout that.

the best way to become someone round here is to tag along in a few journals and make a few comments/questions and answers.

if you have a usefull answer, pop into the FAQ forum and help those with less knowledge and just generally be sociable.

just talking to others in grow journals will get you plenty of posts/likes/reps. if you really know your stuff, your reputation bar will shoot up just by opening your mouth ;)

the best way to become someone round here is to tag along in a few journals and make a few comments/questions and answers.

if you have a usefull answer, pop into the FAQ forum and help those with less knowledge and just generally be sociable.

just talking to others in grow journals will get you plenty of posts/likes/reps. if you really know your stuff, your reputation bar will shoot up just by opening your mouth ;)

Thanks for the advice. ATM my time is very limited. I planned on becoming much more active a week from this weekend since I am currently dealing with exams and I am pushing for straight As this semester.

I see that the Oakton is suggested.. I'm looking at the Oakton EcoTestr pH 2 Waterproof pH Tester, is this good equiptment for a beginner grower? At about 60 usd and a necessity it didn't seem like a bad investment, then again I read about a lot of this type of equiptment is shite.

So does anybody have any experience with this piece? Or any other suggestions?

Much appreciated!!

-CA215 :peace:

bump

ok guys i have some soil that wants to stay at 7, unfortunatly i dont want it at 7 i want it at 6.2-6.5.
i watered it 2 days ago with 1ml of vinigar to 1 gal of water and the soil dropped to 6.5 slowish, now its drying a little bit (not enough yet to water again) its rapidly gone back up to 7 and even looks like may hit 7.5 =(

i dont want to take my plants out of the soil as they are auto's and ive already had problems with them, if i shock them any more i just wont get any produce.

im not using nutes atm as the seedlings are too young (just starting to produce its 2nd set of 5 fingers.

can someone explain
A: why did it go back up
B: how can i slow down the return to 7.

i dont mind if i water the plant and it goes to 6 and just about hits 7 in time to be watered again (super optimal nute availibility imho)

You are most likely getting a ph reading from your water in the soil, once it dries you are getting a more acurate reading

Back
Top Bottom