How Can I Tell if my Bag Seeds are Healthy?

SmokeyMacPot

Fresh seeds have a waxy glimmer and a hard, intact shell.
Colours range from a buff through a dark brown, and from light grey to almost black colours. Often seeds are mottled with brown or black spots, or lines on a lighter field.

Green or whitish seeds are usually immature and will germinate feebly if at all.
Shiny, very dark brown or black seeds often mean the contents are fermented and the embryo is dead. Fermented seeds crush easily with finger pressure and are hollow or dusty inside.

Brick or compressed cannabis seeds must be checked as seeds that are bruised or crushed are not viable.

Author: MedMan

Healthy seeds can usually be spotted from their external appearance. A good seed will be well fleshed-out and not crinkled or cracked. Take some seeds into one hand and rub them between your palms. Good seeds will appear to be glossy and gray, gray-green or gray-brown in color and have a good weight with a fleshy appearance.

heard you can check if they pop on a hot fryer with water in it or something like that, wouldnt that make the seed unusable? 99% of every seed i planted sprouts as long as its not cracked and is intact. the more puny the seed i feel the more energy it puts into growing and the more it grows.. just my 2 cent. but if you have a choice go with the biggest chunkiest seed.

I usually look for a light brownish/grey background with dark lines that resemble lightning. So far I've been able to grow 100% females, but hey, the time will come eventually that I'll have to chop a plant down for it will have tiny balls. Tiny balls are bad any way you look at it!

hello 420 i was wondering how many seeds do u plant in a pot at a time,is it normal to put five seeds in a pot once they have sprouted in a paper towel...thank you......AKA MR STAY SMOKEN THE BEST:tokin:

hello 420 i was wondering how many seeds do u plant in a pot at a time,is it normal to put five seeds in a pot once they have sprouted in a paper towel...thank you......AKA MR STAY SMOKEN THE BEST:tokin:

1 per pot... the roots will become entangled if you plant more than 1 in a pot.

Just germed 6 seeds 3 days ago and am germing 6 more tonight. Three each Cataract Kush and LA Confidential X Edodus Cheese. Thinking of doing a journal once they get a little further along. I've gotten 100% germination so far (knock on wood). Germinating seeds is probably the toughest part of growing cannabis @ least for me. Certainly is the most nerve wracking time for me. I use a heating blanket, a clone dome, and these little cubes called "Root Riot". They work really well for clones and so so for seeds. I have found the best way to germ seeds is to soak them for 24-48 hours with water from my dehumidifier until they grow a nice rootlet and then transplant to a cup full of Light Warrior with a heating blanket underneath, a clone dome lid on top and a thermometer to make sure the temp. stays around 75. I have not had much luck with bag seeds myself, but I find if you lightly squeeze them and they don't fall apart they are probably viable.

on this note. I have read that the harvest time (color of the pistols) determines the type of buzz ie... clear= head buzz, milky to light brown= medium buzz and fully brown pistols= couch lock. Can consider this to be true?

pistils (the long white hairs of the flower ) do change color and shrivel near harvest time but i believe you mean trichomes (which are the sugary looking crystals that form on the flower) these are the targets of your color change, they start very clear and will cloud up
almost milky looking then eventually they will get amber you want mostly cloudy for heady buzz and amber for couch lock
take care and good luck

Back
Top Bottom