How can I tell if my seedling is male or female without flowering it?

After reading this thread I am still consfused about how to tell male/female in veg period.
Can you tell if this is male or female, or am I still to early?

WW_close_up_001.JPG

Thanks

If you are a seedling grower who does not clone, or a grower who has no seperate vegetative and flowering grow spaces, the easiest method is simply to wait for the preflowers (primordia), and sexual maturity to appear while the seedling is still in vegetative growth. In other words, if you wait until they are 6 to 8 weeks old, most plants will show you their gender without any forcing.
Author: administrator

Is this really so? I've recently started my first grow from seed and think it would be great not to force flowering/revert, or worse yet, having to clone from those and force them just to determine sex. Thanks.:smokin:

All. All strains show sex in veg by preflower by week 4 from seed popping above ground. 90% by week 3. Plants like posted by wing king 903 will be an exception. I'm talking about healthy plants. There are tons of photos showing male and female preflowers all over the net at weed forums. Just have magnifcation and look in the correct location. Good Luck. I've never understood why anyone would force sex and revert just to see male/female, when it's so easy from seed by week 3. Let us know how they sexed.

Luvtogrow-- Thanks for clarifying that. Good on you. I guess I read too much conflicting information... over informed and underlearned apparently. Moments ago with magnification I found my 1st fem of 6 potted seedlings. I sprouted 2ea of 3 different feminized varieties so that I can experience and enjoy the differences. 3 were germed 11/18 & 3more 11/22.

Dutch Passion - White Widow
DP - The Ultimate
DP - Euphoria (the known fem)

I also just received a digital camera so I can document via journal. I'll be reading the sticky on posting up pics and start my journal shortly. Please do stop by my grow if you're interested.
Again, I'm grateful for your advice!

Happy Christmahannukawanza!:smokin:

If I do decide to sex from a cutting (I just topped my plant, and may as well use the cutting for sexing instead of throwing it in the garbage), do I need to wait for the cutting to root, or canI just throw it in the rockwool and force it to 12/12? I don't care if this cutting lives/dies/healthy/sick, just want to use it to confirm sex.

This could have nasty affects on output. I would say veg as long as you can and some strains will actually show sex with out going into the flowering process totally. Use and eye loupe to help with the identification part. pistols will poke out. Some you can get away with doing this others...not so much. You can use any old jewl loupe.
30X Magnifying Loupe | Hydroponics

I don't really think it has any negative affect on output. If you are simply taking a few cuttings off each undetermined sex plant, it will not do any real damage or trauma that will effect the overall yield. Plus this way you start flowering clones right away while the other plant is still vegging, if clone turns out female, great you got some nugs to harvest if not its male and you know to pull the plant that is no good.

From seed it's 50/50, supposed to be ways to ensure higher female count, such as more blue light, cooler temps, there's a list with further info, dutch psssion issued one. Talking reg seeds.

The alternating nodes come with age not height brother... It signals that they are mature enough to sexually reproduce (flower and wait for pollen to make seed). Also once it is mature it has better chances of maximizing yield and potency to maximum potential...with the only thing holding it back is the limiting factor in your environment

It varies from strain to strain and your environment some show in 4weeks some show in more I can't remember any showing earlier...once in flower it takes about 10 to 14 days to start producing pistils (they are the white hairs)

IMG_20120312_081440.jpg
IMG_20120312_081432.jpg
Were you having some Ph problems in the beginning. You see your internodal growth, the best to look at is you new main colas, the branches that come off that cola will be higher on one side and that's to supportbud growth. I'm not the best at explaining things. I will take some pics of one I pulled. The bottom internodes will grow faser since you topped.cr

Back
Top Bottom