How Come White People Never Get Arrested for Marijuana in NYC?

No matter how you frame it, most people still struggle with the concept that marijuana laws are enforced unfairly. I don't see what's so complicated about this:

Even though surveys show they are part of the demographic group that makes the heaviest use of pot, white people in New York are the least likely to be arrested for it.

Last year, black New Yorkers were seven times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana possession and no more serious crime. Latinos were four times more likely. [NYT]

You can't explain away a gaping disparity like that. This is not just a matter of cultural differences in marijuana using behavior. White people smoke herb in the streets of New York, too. There is no bigger factor at play here than the discretionary choices police make about who to approach and investigate. It really is that simple and that unfair.

But just because it's racist doesn't mean it's bad, says the city:

Mr. Bloomberg's chief criminal justice aide, John Feinblatt, declined to discuss the city's approach to marijuana arrests, or the findings of the study. But through a spokesman, he issued a statement maintaining the pot arrests have helped drive down violent crime.

Even if I believed that stopping a million people a year in the streets of New York is necessary to drive down violent crime, that still doesn't mean you have to arrest them when marijuana is discovered. None of this even begins to make any sense, and it comes as no surprise that city officials are loathe to attempt an explanation for it.

If you want to reduce violent crime, try legalizing marijuana so there's one less thing to fight over.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Author: Scott Morgan
Copyright: 2009 StoptheDrugWar.org
Website: How Come White People Never Get Arrested for Marijuana in NYC?

No arrests equal no dollars from fines..simple math. :roorrip:

warbux is right. it's all about the money. it's the same here in california. greedy goverment.

No matter how you frame it, most people still struggle with the concept that marijuana laws are enforced unfairly. I don't see what's so complicated about this:

Even though surveys show they are part of the demographic group that makes the heaviest use of pot, white people in New York are the least likely to be arrested for it.

Last year, black New Yorkers were seven times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana possession and no more serious crime. Latinos were four times more likely. [NYT]

You can't explain away a gaping disparity like that. This is not just a matter of cultural differences in marijuana using behavior. White people smoke herb in the streets of New York, too. There is no bigger factor at play here than the discretionary choices police make about who to approach and investigate. It really is that simple and that unfair.

But just because it's racist doesn't mean it's bad, says the city:

Mr. Bloomberg's chief criminal justice aide, John Feinblatt, declined to discuss the city's approach to marijuana arrests, or the findings of the study. But through a spokesman, he issued a statement maintaining the pot arrests have helped drive down violent crime.

Even if I believed that stopping a million people a year in the streets of New York is necessary to drive down violent crime, that still doesn't mean you have to arrest them when marijuana is discovered. None of this even begins to make any sense, and it comes as no surprise that city officials are loathe to attempt an explanation for it.

If you want to reduce violent crime, try legalizing marijuana so there's one less thing to fight over.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: StoptheDrugWar.org
Author: Scott Morgan
Copyright: 2009 StoptheDrugWar.org
Website: How Come White People Never Get Arrested for Marijuana in NYC?
Warbux is right. It's all about the money. It's the same here in California, GREEDY GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!

I would say it is alot like the movie American Violet, the police go into the areas that are populated by blacks, they know they will make busts, it's a gravy train, if you haven't seen the movie I suggest watching it, it is a very good movie, JMO. and say's in my opinion exactly what is happening.

why dose a race card have to be thrown in the "POT" to begin with they are 2 differant subjects.. its about the green not black or white, i think its rediculous..

ya I think it was Anslinger our first drug czar who said that marijuana made negros think they were as good as white people or sumpthin like dat lol :cool:
but your right its all about the money honey

The irony here is that pot possession is decriminalized in NYC

It's a civil citation and no arrest is allowable, it's a freaking ticket.

What they've done is pass a "public display" law that makes it a misdemeanor to remove the pot from your pocket.

So the cop says to the citizen, take it out of your pocket and I'll go easy on you; then arrests them for public display.

If we could just reach the masses (i.e. Spread Cannabis Awareness) and help them understand this law - the statistic would plummet

Marijuana has become very profitable for cash strapped state governments. What other "crime" besides drug crime, can the government take your house and everything you own for? So I think when it gets right down to it, its not seen in terms of black or white but rather how much green ya got.

Personally I’m going to wipe my ass w/ this polarizing article. The world is not a fair place, and those w/ minority status are often treated poorly in comparison to the majority.

I did six months for a violation possession of two joints in liberal CA when I was young. My ass is whiter than Mel Gibson in Braveheart.

Poor people get fucked. All poor people. Brown and black people get the shit end of the stick in much worse ways then this. It would be nice to see people debates this in a serious manor rather than post a sensationalistic article.

This racist thread should be taken down......if it generalized about blacks like it does about whites,it never would have stayed up THIS long.

free2blaze: I would say it is alot like the movie American Violet, the police go into the areas that are populated by blacks, they know they will make busts, it's a gravy train, if you haven't seen the movie I suggest watching it, it is a very good movie, JMO. and say's in my opinion exactly what is happening.
i just watched American Violet a couple of nights ago
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

This racist thread should be taken down......if it generalized about blacks like it does about whites,it never would have stayed up THIS long.
i'm sorry, but i really don't see this as a 'racist' thread. if others feel this thread is racist please feel free to let me know (pm's would be best). i'm not always right and am open to feedback. i'll also run it by staff to get their opinions.

Thanx User, kinda got outta hand.. :roorrip:

Here is my point:

"Even though surveys show they are part of the demographic group that makes the heaviest use of pot, white people in New York are the least likely to be arrested for it."

What "surveys"?Where are the arrest records to back up this assertion?
Is it possible that there are more arrests in the predominately black section of New York due to increased police presence because of a higher incidence of violent crimes?

In my experience,race is much less of a factor in arrest statistics than socioeconomic status is.It would probably be a better use of our time to analyze why and propose cures to a system that seems to favor the wealthy at the expense of the poor.

Back
Top Bottom