How deep?

I usually aim to have about 1/4" of soil over top of them. Sometimes as little as 1/8". Up to 1/2"- but deeper than that shouldn't be necessary.

I premix the soil earlier to have it warm and an even moisture- because there should be no need to water them for quite a long time after they're planted, and it would usually be a bad idea to water at this stage. . I try to get conditions perfect so I know the sprout will emerge within two or three days. Nothing worse than waiting for a week / and once you get to poking around in there it's usually game over...

Thanks Widowsnest, had trouble with both Jack Herer's. One went spindly but managed to salvage other one. Realized to late for spindly one that sunlight was not enough for it. Seed germinating is a hash plant. Starting indoors and putting outside as soon as weather permits. Need these to get going times growing short.

I usually aim to have about 1/4" of soil over top of them. Sometimes as little as 1/8". Up to 1/2"- but deeper than that shouldn't be necessary.

I premix the soil earlier to have it warm and an even moisture- because there should be no need to water them for quite a long time after they're planted, and it would usually be a bad idea to water at this stage. . I try to get conditions perfect so I know the sprout will emerge within two or three days. Nothing worse than waiting for a week / and once you get to poking around in there it's usually game over...

I will follow your advice on prepping soil. I believe I have not been understanding how little water they need at the start. Sort of stands to reason, small plant little water, large plant more water. Thanks for info. Cheers.

If you can get the soil prepped so that it's (warm and) moist you won't need to water after that for quite a while- and by the time you do it will be safer to do so.

Moist enough that it almost clumps in the hand - but breaks apart easily when you let go Try it and you'll see what I mean.
The sprout itself, and any small seedling, will drink almost no water. You can ignore the amount it drinks. Much more water will be lost from evaporation than drank by the plant at this stage, depending on your conditions. So keep an eye on the surface to make sure it doesn't completely dry out more than an inch deep or so. But it really shouldn't withIn with the first week. Really- you should be able to plant the sprout and not water for at least ten days to two weeks.

Watering in the very early days is dangerous because if it's not done very carefully it tends to compact soil and displace the tiny roots. And, without a large root system to cope- sitting in soaked soil will kill it.

Overwatering is the number one killer of seedlings.

If you can get the soil prepped so that it's warm and moist. Moist enough that it almost clumps in the hand - but breaks apart easily when you let go Try it and you'll see what I mean.
The sprout itself, and any small seedling, will drink almost no water. You can ignore the amount it drinks. Much more water will be lost from evaporation than drank by the plant at this stage, depending on your conditions. So keep an eye on the surface to make sure it doesn't completely dry out more than an inch deep or so. But it really shouldn't withIn with the first week. Really- you should be able to plant the sprout and not water for at least ten days to two weeks.
Watering in the very early days is dangerous because if it's not done very carefully it tends to compact soil and displace the tiny roots. And overwatering is the number one killer of seedlings.

Man what I don't know about growing would fill encyclopedias. Thankfully I have 420mag. I think I might have to do a grow journal. Would probably help increase my yield over last year's plant. Grew in super soil, 5 gal bucket. Veg from June to Aug 1. Flowering till Oct 7. Just avoided a frost. Nervy. Harvested trimmed and cured, 80 grams all told plus a lot of trash for the mb2. I don't know if this was good or not being my first controlled grow.

I definitely learned a ton when I started a journal. It was a bit nerve wracking putting my grow and my mistakes in the spotlight - but it just means you end up correcting them sooner. :thumb:
I'm still making plenty of mistakes btw...;)

Back
Top Bottom