How do I change the soil pH?

How are u testing the soil??

pH in is important, pH in runnoff not so much, not sure a true soil measurement is needed, but not a big soil guy either but I wouldn't stress it, focus on yer pH in

Are your plants showing any issues?
What are you using to measure soil PH?
What’s your medium?

6.1 is a bit low for soil. A lot of soils have buffers built in, so watering in at 6.2 and catching the drift up will bring it through all the necessary PH levels for maximum nutrient uptake.

I haven’t found a soil “tester” that is efficient. Unless you’re sending it in to test, or making a 12 hour slurry, I wouldn’t trust any soil testers.

C9A31FBF-63A6-4B9F-8202-276D498C8A62.png

Also there are a few odd ball elements to consider as well. For one I personally grow in dirt. I use Sunshine Mix #4. This is considered a soilless mix. I used to grow using the soil PH range but this recent grow I have taken the advice of a few members and now grow using the Hydroponic PH range. I have noticed faster growth so far with no ill effects. Coco is another soilless mix that is best to PH with the Hydroponics range.

Are your plants showing any issues?
What are you using to measure soil PH?
What’s your medium?
My plants are small and not showing any problems. I am using I have a soil tester that shows Light, Moister, and PH it was cheep so it probably isn't too accurate. I have it in compost, Potting soil, Coco, Perlite. I am only using Calmag, and Molasses I have them in a big greenhouse. So I take it that it is more important to PH the water and not worry about what my soil meter is saying ?

pH in is important, pH in runnoff not so much, not sure a true soil measurement is needed, but not a big soil guy either but I wouldn't stress it, focus on yer pH in
So I take it that it is more important to PH the water, nuets to 6.1 to 6.8 then worry about what the soil tester is saying ?

6.1 is a bit low for soil. A lot of soils have buffers built in, so watering in at 6.2 and catching the drift up will bring it through all the necessary PH levels for maximum nutrient uptake.

I haven’t found a soil “tester” that is efficient. Unless you’re sending it in to test, or making a 12 hour slurry, I wouldn’t trust any soil testers.

C9A31FBF-63A6-4B9F-8202-276D498C8A62.png
I had just seen that chart on the forms along with some Great pictures showing deficiencies etc. Its a Great chart Thank you for sharing it. So I am getting from everyone it is more important to PH the water and Nutes. then worrying about what my soil meter is showing ? I am a Newbie and this is my first grow so I am thankful for any and all help I get.

What I am getting from everyone so far is that the soil measurement with a cheep soil tester is not a true reading and as long as I keep my water and Nutes in the right PH range it should be fine. Is this correct?

When should I flush the nutes. I am only using Calmag and Molasses now we transplanted a few days ago on two of the plants and another one is ready to go from a 1 gal. pot to a two gal. pot how long after transplanting should I start the Fox Farm nutes ? They are in Veg. my buddy had them in BIG grocery bags the cloth kind of bag full of potting soil so I transplanted them to a two gal. cloth pot. they are about a foot tall and the growing season is coming to a fast end I have them tied over so I am starting some low stress training. We got a late start.

Another question I have is, We started a clone and it now has three sets of leaves but there is not enough time to finish it in the green house. Is it going to hurt to take that plant inside in a grow tent, moving from a greenhouse to an indoor grow ? Like I said I am a newbie but I am addicted to wanting to grow my own. I have spent a lot of time watching videos and reading all I can about growing Cannabis and I know I need to learn a lot more about it. Also Thanks for all the help.

@PCaddict, in message #6 you say "I have it in compost, Potting soil, Coco, Perlite." This sounds like you made your own soil mix. If you mixed it yourself do you still have the recipe you used. Some people in the group will be able to pick up on a potential problem that will show up later just by knowing what the mix is.

As for the pH, the consensus is that you do not need to be very concerned with the soil's pH unless something is going drastically wrong. By the sounds of it everything is OK so far. But then, we do not know how long you have been growing anything in the mix.

One good thing is that the plants are already growing, you transplanted at least once without any major problem, and you still have about 10 to 14 days before the days get short enough that flowering will start (in most of the US). You can concentrate on the rest of the season and learning from the first growing attempt without having to worry about the soil pH.

Enjoy the day.

@PCaddict, in message #6 you say "I have it in compost, Potting soil, Coco, Perlite." This sounds like you made your own soil mix. If you mixed it yourself do you still have the recipe you used. Some people in the group will be able to pick up on a potential problem that will show up later just by knowing what the mix is.

As for the pH, the consensus is that you do not need to be very concerned with the soil's pH unless something is going drastically wrong. By the sounds of it everything is OK so far. But then, we do not know how long you have been growing anything in the mix.

One good thing is that the plants are already growing, you transplanted at least once without any major problem, and you still have about 10 to 14 days before the days get short enough that flowering will start (in most of the US). You can concentrate on the rest of the season and learning from the first growing attempt without having to worry about the soil pH.

Enjoy the day.
Thank You. I used about 15% Coco, 15% perlite and the rest was an almost even mix of the potting soil he had and some compost I got from another friend.

Thank You. I used about 15% Coco, 15% perlite and the rest was an almost even mix of the potting soil he had and some compost I got from another friend.
Sounds like your soil mix is 1/3 organic material from the compost, 1/3 peat moss since many companies use a lot of peat in their potting soil mixes, and 1/3 soil loosening stuff (I can't think of the right word right now).

As long as nothing drastic happens let the plants finish the season. If all goes well you will get something for recreational or medical smoking, maybe enough for something to make in the kitchen or enough for a basic salve.

While the plants you have are growing you can read up on mixing soils and which amendments to add and why.

Sounds like your soil mix is 1/3 organic material from the compost, 1/3 peat moss since many companies use a lot of peat in their potting soil mixes, and 1/3 soil loosening stuff (I can't think of the right word right now).

As long as nothing drastic happens let the plants finish the season. If all goes well you will get something for recreational or medical smoking, maybe enough for something to make in the kitchen or enough for a basic salve.

While the plants you have are growing you can read up on mixing soils and which amendments to add and why.
I have watched a few videos on making what they call Super Soil and adding in Mycorrhizae worm castings bat Guano etc. and making a compost tea. etc. I would like to make a good organic mix. What do you suggest ?

I just remembered that you had mentioned the greenhouse and approaching winter (Winter is always Coming)
...I have them in a big greenhouse.
When should I flush the nutes. I am only using Calmag and Molasses now we transplanted a few days ago on two of the plants and another one is ready to go from a 1 gal. pot to a two gal. pot how long after transplanting should I start the Fox Farm nutes ? They are in Veg. my buddy had them in BIG grocery bags the cloth kind of bag full of potting soil so I transplanted them to a two gal. cloth pot. they are about a foot tall and the growing season is coming to a fast end I have them tied over so I am starting some low stress training. We got a late start.
What kind of greenhouse. If it is in decent shape without broken windows (if they are glass or plexi-glass) or without torn windows (if they are plastic sheeting) or openings in the walls or roof then you actually have more time than you might realize. The way I figure it a good greenhouse will allow for an extra month before it gets cold enough inside to damage or kill the plants. I wish I had a greenhouse in my backyard or access to one where I did not have to drive more than 5 or 10 minutes.

I have watched a few videos on making what they call Super Soil and adding in Mycorrhizae worm castings bat Guano etc. and making a compost tea. etc. I would like to make a good organic mix. What do you suggest ?
My suggestion is "Don't panic. It is all good.":);)

Sounds like you are starting off right by having done some reading and research. I started gardening and researching gardening info over 50 years ago. The first plant was grown in a 3 to 4 gallon flower pot using garden soil. While that was growing I started looking into growing these plants inside the house. My thoughts were that if my houseplants could survive (some of them over 25 years old) then I could do even more with weed if I researched specifically for that plant.

My suggestion is that you do some more research. Not just on this message board which is one of the best around but also do web searches for other sites, including soil programs at universities. Look up super soils and start taking notes. Keep watching the plants you have going but do not go overboard with them. Do not try to fix a problem that does not exist with them otherwise you could cause a new problem that you were not prepared for. Just let those plants grow while you look up info.

With good research you will be so far ahead of the game when late winter comes. You will have a great soil and understand the value of the size of the pot in relation to the size of the plant. You might be pleasantly surprised next spring at what you can do with what you have learned and with that greenhouse.

Don't know where you are but if it is daytime, enjoy going outside and looking at all the plants around you. They can tell you a lot about what they need to grow bigger and better.

I just remembered that you had mentioned the greenhouse and approaching winter (Winter is always Coming)

What kind of greenhouse. If it is in decent shape without broken windows (if they are glass or plexi-glass) or without torn windows (if they are plastic sheeting) or openings in the walls or roof then you actually have more time than you might realize. The way I figure it a good greenhouse will allow for an extra month before it gets cold enough inside to damage or kill the plants. I wish I had a greenhouse in my backyard or access to one where I did not have to drive more than 5 or 10 minutes.
It is brand new plastic so its in good shape. I am in a northern state so it starts getting cold out sometimes early but I may get by with going into November before it gets too cold. It has some screen windows in it and I have two fans blowing on them and the doors have windows which I keep open. I got it from amazon it is 20 foot long 12 foot wide and 6 foot 3 inches high. the few small plants I have in it look lost. Lol, We will use it next year and start some plants in it and I will surround my cannabis plants with other types of plants we will start.

It is brand new plastic so its in good shape. I am in a northern state so it starts getting cold out sometimes early but I may get by with going into November before it gets too cold. It has some screen windows in it and I have two fans blowing on them and the doors have windows which I keep open. I got it from amazon it is 20 foot long 12 foot wide and 6 foot 3 inches high. the few small plants I have in it look lost. Lol, We will use it next year and start some plants in it and I will surround my cannabis plants with other types of plants we will start.
I'm in Billings(45 degrees north) and my greenhouse usually is finished by Nov 1. I don't grow pure Sativas, though, just hybrids or Indicas.

Back
Top Bottom