How do I choose a strain?

Urdedpal

Choosing a strain may seem overwhelming at first, but by answering a few simple questions, you will be able to narrow down the choices to strains that suit you best.

1.) Do you plan on growing INDOORS or OUTDOORS?

2.) Do you prefer the characteristics of an INDICA (i.e. short, compact, and high yielding)? Do you prefer the characteristics of a SATIVA (i.e. tall, high quality bud, and lower yielding)? Or would you prefer a mix between the two (i.e. 50/50 or 60/40 cross)?

3.) What type of stone/ high are you looking for? There are two basic types: the first is a 'body stone' that knocks you down and holds you there, which is synonymous with INDICAS. A second type of stone is a trippy cerebral high, often associated with SATIVAS.

How potent do you want it?
Different strains have their own unique effects (i.e. mellow, happy, paranoid, stupefying, clear and thought provoking, etc, etc...)

4.) What is your price range? How much are you willing to pay for seeds or clones?

5.) Is yield important to you? There are low, medium and high yielding cannabis plants. Does yield take precedence over quality?

6.) Is odor or smell a concern? Stealth growing requires low smelling strains. Some strains smell so strong they may be a security risk.

Is taste important for you? (Some strains have a unique flavor such as grapefruit, blueberry, etc)

7.) How long do you want to wait to harvest? Some are 6 week cash-croppers, some will take up to 14 weeks to flower. Many strains take 7-8 weeks.

8.) The last thing you should do when you have a few strains narrowed down is ask other growers. Find out what growers have experienced with it, etc.

source:GrowFAQ © 2000-2004 Overgrow

DrGrnThmb said:
1.) Do you plan on growing INDOORS

2.) indica because im goin to scrog my grow

3.) What type of stone/ high are you looking for? sativa

How potent do you want it?
stupifyed trippy happy

4.) What is your price range? 40 usd

5.) Is yield important to you? There are low, medium and high yielding cannabis plants. Does yield take precedence over quality? no

6.) Is odor or smell a concern? Stealth growing requires low smelling strains. Some strains smell so strong they may be a security risk. low smelling

Is taste important for you? (Some strains have a unique flavor such as grapefruit, blueberry, etc) i want my bud to be differnt from any bud around here, so i wnat it to have a destinc taste to it

7.) How long do you want to wait to harvest? not to long like eight weeks

8.) The last thing you should do when you have a few strains narrowed down is ask other growers. Find out what growers have experienced with it, etc. sweet:joint:

You said you want Indica, and the effects of Sativa? Hmm, you need to make up your mind first but I'd recommend some mostly Sativa strains that don't really get that big. IMO, you should be looking at strains like sativa pheno White Rhino, Trainwreck, Northern Lights x Haze, etc. But you are asking too much, IMO. You first want an indica, then a plant with sativa effects that finishes early and has excellent yield. Looks like you are going to need to make some compromises somewhere in there.

DrGrnThmb said:
indeed, sorry i was way outta line, im def goin with indica first. Is indica easeir to grow

Indica is more suited for indoor grows, but to say that the whole species is easy would be a lie. You have hardy strains, and you have strains that are very easy to kill. For a great, hardy indoor Indica, it's very hard to go wrong with Northern Lights. Northern Lights #5 seems to be a favorite. Extremely easy to grow. White Rhino and White Widow are great strains that are pretty hardy, too. Decent yield, as well. Marijuana in and of itself is just a plant, but when you have breeders that are hybridizing this and that, you can sometimes have unstable genetics making for an unstable plant. I'd spend the extra money and get some great genetics. The White Rhino and White Widow are EXCELLENT. All the heavy resin producers, especially the white varieties, are like this. This also comes from the way you grow it though, when to feed it what, when to harvest, etc. I've done it before, I've taken bag seed from some unattractive schwag, tended to it properly when growing and ended up with bright green, red-haired stuff that practically glowed in the light and got me MUCH higher than the weed that the seeds came from. Proper curing and knowing when to harvest is a must. But I only grow 100% organically and outdoors, so I can't tell you too much about indoor and growing with chemical fertilizers. But if you'd like to know moer about the former, let me know.

Might I also suggest Serious Seed Co.? They have some very nice White Russian, and it may cost a little more but your getting 15 seeds instead of just 10.

Serious Seeds, have not tried them but have only heard good things.

You can't go too much wrong with the White Rhino. Yes, it is a medicinal strain and most you will find are heavy Indica (something that I don't care for). But it grows well, is fairly hardy, and what I'd call a medium yielder. Grew mine two years ago from clones.

i would just want something that will totally fuck me up :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace: :bongrip:

nope, but it sounds yummy!

Have you considered any of the purple strains? Nearly every breeder has their own "purple" variety, usually a lot cheaper than the big name strains like White Widow or Grapefruit.

The guy that owns serious seeds is Simon. He developed the first ak47 and the awesome yeilding chronic thats a fantastic smoke. Every seed he carries has won a reward.

USMuscle9403 said:
Serious Seeds, have not tried them but have only heard good things.

You can't go too much wrong with the White Rhino. Yes, it is a medicinal strain and most you will find are heavy Indica (something that I don't care for). But it grows well, is fairly hardy, and what I'd call a medium yielder. Grew mine two years ago from clones.

1.) Do you plan on growing INDOORS or OUTDOORS?
INDOORS

2.) Do you prefer the characteristics of an INDICA (i.e. short, compact, and high yielding)? Do you prefer the characteristics of a SATIVA (i.e. tall, high quality bud, and lower yielding)? Or would you prefer a mix between the two (i.e. 50/50 or 60/40 cross)?
INDICA or 50/50

3.) What type of stone/ high are you looking for? There are two basic types: the first is a 'body stone' that knocks you down and holds you there, which is synonymous with INDICAS. A second type of stone is a trippy cerebral high, often associated with SATIVAS.
A MIX OF BOTH OR MOSTLY 'BODY STONE'

4.) What is your price range? How much are you willing to pay for seeds or clones?
SEEDS - 20-40$ FOR A PACK

5.) Is yield important to you? There are low, medium and high yielding cannabis plants. Does yield take precedence over quality?
I WANT 2 STRAINS:
1 WILL BE CHOSEN BASED ON A HIGH YEILD AND GROW DIFFICULTY
1 WILL BE CHOSEN ACCORDING TO THE TASTE

6.) Is odor or smell a concern? Stealth growing requires low smelling strains. Some strains smell so strong they may be a security risk.
YES, NO SKUNKY SMELL

Is taste important for you? (Some strains have a unique flavor such as grapefruit, blueberry, etc)
YES, VERY IMPORTANT

7.) How long do you want to wait to harvest? Some are 6 week cash-croppers, some will take up to 14 weeks to flower. Many strains take 7-8 weeks.
7 TO 9 WEEKS IS GOOD

8.) The last thing you should do when you have a few strains narrowed down is ask other growers. Find out what growers have experienced with it, etc.
STRAINS I HAVE IN MIND...
HIGH YEILD AND LOW GROW DIFFICULTY:
MasterKush - Nirvana
Ice - Nirvana
K2 - Nirvana
White Rhino - Nirvana

TASTE AND ODOR PRIORITY:
Bubblicious - Nirvana
Mango - KC Brains

Back
Top Bottom