How do I germinate seeds?

I have had really good luck putting the seeds in wet paper towels and then into a ziploc baggie and under the directv receiver. It's always worked well until this last time?? It's the first time I have been sent seeds that had absolutely no tiger stripes at all, is that a case of bunk seeds? out of 3 fem. the purps only one sprouted and it was sick or something only 1 seed leaf and then 3 days later DEATH ??
Any ideas

Yes that has worked very well for me to the paper towel method, however I just prefer small little sprouting containers.. Egg containers are great.

I tried both methods of germinating; IMO - the best method is placing the seeds in a cup of water until the taproot emerges(about 24 hrs). then place between moistened paper towels for another 24 hrs. then place them in soil under 24 hrs light until they sprout. Simple!
I tried the paper towel only method with limited success - cup of water method close to 100 %!!!

I do the same thing as S1ing, only put mine on top of my water heater. The only time I've ever had beans not germ that way was when I tried to germ some seeds that had been in a footlocker of mine since I was a teenager. However, I think how you store your beans is much more important than how you germ them, if you have good seeds that have been well taken care of and get them wet and warm, they will sprout.

I have had really good luck putting the seeds in wet paper towels and then into a ziploc baggie and under the directv receiver. It's always worked well until this last time?? It's the first time I have been sent seeds that had absolutely no tiger stripes at all, is that a case of bunk seeds? out of 3 fem. the purps only one sprouted and it was sick or something only 1 seed leaf and then 3 days later DEATH ??
Any ideas

I seen mostly grey kush strain seeds with no strips and they pop

that sucks you got bad seeds but it happens life and nature stuff. more seeds next time or try ordering at different time of year with cool weather might help I really didn't want my seeds sitting in a black mail box in 100 degree weather for very long.

I am a total noob at this and this is my first grow. I placed three seeds to soak in a cup, however the water was not warm nor did I cover the cups. I was going to place them in paper towels in a heated germinator after I remove them is this acceptable? Or have I lost these seeds? Any advice is much appreciated!

I am a total noob at this and this is my first grow. I placed three seeds to soak in a cup, however the water was not warm nor did I cover the cups. I was going to place them in paper towels in a heated germinator after I remove them is this acceptable? Or have I lost these seeds? Any advice is much appreciated!

They should germinate in the paper towels OK. I don't remember soaking mine, but I've only had one not germinate in the damp towel placed in a covered (to keep in heat and moisture) germination station. My problems have always been with keeping seedlings from getting damaged... :smokin:

All good ideas. I think that I'll be germing them with the paper towel and plate method on a heating mat. Once I see the taproot then I'll go straight to the rapid rooter in my germination station.

Prescription Med Bottle Sprouting

I have so many amber prescription med bottles. Must recycle!

The amber bottles make good UV protection storage containers for my garden seeds. The amber plastic is designed to prevent medicine degradation from light. Fortunately, this also makes a great incubation chamber for sprouts. I do this for all my seeds, maple, pepper, mints, rosemary, basil, ficus and cannabis.

• I start with swishing the seeds in tap water to kill any micro-spores. Tap water contains a small amount of chlorine.
  • I then place cotton balls inside the lids and add some sterile distilled water.
  • Add seed to top of cotton ball.
  • Cover with sharpie labeled amber bottle.
  • Sprouts ready to plant the next day.

SAM_00713.JPG

SAM_00862.JPG

SAM_00884.JPG

Re: Prescription Med Bottle Sprouting

I have so many amber prescription med bottles. Must recycle!

The amber bottles make good UV protection storage containers for my garden seeds. The amber plastic is designed to prevent medicine degradation from light. Fortunately, this also makes a great incubation chamber for sprouts. I do this for all my seeds, maple, pepper, mints, rosemary, basil, ficus and cannabis.

• I start with swishing the seeds in tap water to kill any micro-spores. Tap water contains a small amount of chlorine.
  • I then place cotton balls inside the lids and add some sterile distilled water.
  • Add seed to top of cotton ball.
  • Cover with sharpie labeled amber bottle.
  • Sprouts ready to plant the next day.

SAM_00713.JPG

SAM_00862.JPG

SAM_00884.JPG

That's pure genius. I'll have to try that next go round.

What a great idea! Quick question: Do you seal the lids on tight after you place the seed inside? Thanks!

What a great idea! Quick question: Do you seal the lids on tight after you place the seed inside? Thanks!
Yes. I open the bottles 1-2 times a day to let fresh air in and to investigate the seeds. The seeds are usually ready to plant in a couple of days if they are fresh stock seeds.

If older cannabis seeds, I wrap the seeds in mesh and soak with germinating hemp sprouts to make use of their fresh enzymes, cytokinins and auxins which the older seeds are lacking. Then, I place the older seeds in medicine bottles to examine germination idiosyncrasies.

Yes. I open the bottles 1-2 times a day to let fresh air in and to investigate the seeds. The seeds are usually ready to plant in a couple of days if they are fresh stock seeds.

If older cannabis seeds, I wrap the seeds in mesh and soak with germinating hemp sprouts to make use of their fresh enzymes, cytokinins and auxins which the older seeds are lacking. Then, I place the older seeds in medicine bottles to examine germination idiosyncrasies.

Very cool. Time to give this method a try. Thanks!

I just wanted to see if what i read gets the same response here. I am going to be using 4000w HIDS after I see the sprouts should i have them under the light say around 3 feet away?

Back
Top Bottom