How do I germinate seeds?

A method I love for germination due to the high success rates is the paper towel propagation all you need is two plates two pieces of paper towel and that's it. To do this you want to make the paper towel damp not soaking wet but still wet enough to engage germination then put the seed into the paper towels and fold them over the seed after this take one of two plates and place one over top the other, place the seeds in a dark room temp location and do not let the paper towel dry out check for dampness every couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Being a gardener, as you put it, is one thing. But cultivating cannabis is a whole diff ballgame than growing tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. No offense. There is so much that goes into completing a successful grow. I read up for 6 months before attempting.

I 100% agree with you you can't jump from basil or tomatoes to cannabis. Cannabis plants are very different growing wise if you jump from basil to cannabis your grows will fail I know this from experience haha I read up on a couple of grow bibles and now have successfully completed grows. Cannabis takes patience.

Paper towel, zip lock bag and a cool dark place for 3 days. I do 100 at a time and use the first 12 that pop in 3 days. I look for the largest 12. I do 12 because I used an egg carton for their first planting. In the end I hope for 5 females but usually get between 8 and 10. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Why do you have to germinate a seed ? I'm new to this I just put mine in soil an they popped up 3 days later

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Well when you just put them in soil they have a very little success rate vs when you do a paper towel germination technique. I find germinating in soil is like putting all your cards in and hoping for the best.

I use what my father taught me about gardening for my cannabis grows all the time. The techniques are the same. Though with cannabis there is more involved than normal growing. However everything I do is organic and is now a family tradition that I learned from my father.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hello,

Question -

I used the paper towel method to great success, every seed I attempted to germinate did so.

However once germinated I made a mistake of using a jiffy for one and soil for the other. The growth rate between them notes my mistake, I retranslated the one I put in a jiffy to soil, is there anything I can do now to support this plants heath.

Germinating seeds is not difficult at all, there are several methods. Finding the one that with your climate, grow method and or allocated budget is the clue.

I find that using soil I need a warming pad, my grow area can be drafty at night stunting the growth of seedlings. With the paper towel method I have better control. I get great sun on sunny days, perfect for a greenhouse, but I live within walking distance from the ocean which can make for ice early mornings and nights when growing off season.

420-magazine-mobile1357406497.jpg
sour kush seeds germinated now under t5 fluorescent light with heating pad temp is 22 degrees does all this look good or should I change some things ?

I poured the seed water mixture onto paper towel but there was excess. I poured that off but the towels are still soaked. It's a bit more than moist. Is that ok?

no brain surgeon here, all my growing experience is outdoors so anything to do with indoor is foreign to me OTHER than

having worked for the dept. of agriculture as a seed analyst for 4 years (we had 7-8 refrigerator size cabinets set up with all the

controls for light, humidity etc. plus a full size walk-in growth chamber about 6 x 10 with an 8' ceiling and a shit pot of

HO lights). Tired of screwing around transplanting so I soak the seeds over night in H2O for 16 hrs. After 16 hrs. you can

tell which ones are happy & which are not. Then I plant in soil outside in the pot they will spend the rest of their lives in.

I use a small(quart or so) hand held pump up sprayer to keep the soil moist until they poke through and a couple days after.

this is to keep from knocking them over and pinning them to the ground. Them I get a very small water can that doesn't flow

too much H2O & use to water around the root zone until they are sturdy enough to withstand watering from the top. This year

planted 15March, majority popped through by 21st and they are going very well. One way to keep track of different varieties

when soaking is to use an ice cube tray & write the varieties name next to the cube hole with a sharpie. got Small water can from lowes

in garden dept. pink with Barbie on it. damn thing cost $18.00, no typo, but it was worth getting my 38 out of hock so I could rob

a couple of little old ladies to get the cash. Full of shit this am.

I have 5 gallon fabric pots. Once I germinate in paper towel can I move them straight into the 5 gallon pots or should I moved them to a one or two gallon then transplant once they get some growth?

Back
Top Bottom