How do I go from rockwool to a soil mix?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Rockwool minicubes provide the user with the convenience of being able to transplant rooted clones and seedling starts directly into soil with little or no transplant shock.

The minicube is simply planted into the soil, as deep as just below the first node (clones), or as high as just below the cotyledons (seedlings).

Be cautious with watering the first few days to avoid damping off.

Rockwool minicubes are the 1-1/2 inch square cubes, available wrapped on four sides with poly plastic which provides a handy place to write clone id numbers or dates. The plastic is removed just before transplanting them to soil or hydro. Grodan also makes unwrapped one inch cubes which are tapered to fit into divider trays.

Larger sizes of rockwool cubes can be transplanted to soil, but it's not recommended.

Ideally you should start your seeds at about 70-78F. Once you have sprouted your seed Seedlings do best at 68ºF and 77ºF (20ºC and 25ºC). Humidity between 50-75% would be ideal for young seedlings.

Rockwool minicubes provide the user with the convenience of being able to transplant rooted clones and seedling starts directly into soil with little or no transplant shock.

The minicube is simply planted into the soil, as deep as just below the first node (clones), or as high as just below the cotyledons (seedlings).

Rockwool minicubes are the 1-1/2 inch square cubes, available wrapped on four sides with poly plastic which provides a handy place to write clone id numbers or dates. The plastic is removed just before transplanting them to soil or hydro. Grodan also makes unwrapped one inch cubes which are tapered to fit into divider trays.

Larger sizes of rockwool cubes can be transplanted to soil, but it's not recommended.

JUST LEAVE THE ROCK WOOL AND TRANS PLANT ..

when would you transfer seedlings in rockwool to soil what size would the seedling be?

hey hows it going .. i dont.. i hatch my seeds in a glass with toilet paper when its about 2 inches i take it out gently
and put in soaking treat rockwool cube.. i then put the cube in a beer cup with soaking wet hp pro mix with the cube at
the top.. burried.. right into 7 gallons air puts .. but u got to watch water super closely 3 times a day ..

hey hows it going .. i dont.. i hatch my seeds in a glass with toilet paper when its about 2 inches i take it out gently
and put in soaking treat rockwool cube.. i then put the cube in a beer cup with soaking wet hp pro mix with the cube at
the top.. burried.. right into 7 gallons air puts .. but u got to watch water super closely 3 times a day ..

Cheers deltadubie av got them in rock cubes just now , will add cple of pics laters cheers delta

Cheers deltadubie av got them in rock cubes just now , will add cple of pics laters cheers delta

in the beer cup i leave in my little veg tent for 2 = 3 weeks atleast then when going moving to the big pots and big tent ..

cheers

in the beer cup i leave in my little veg tent for 2 = 3 weeks atleast then when going moving to the big pots and big tent ..

cheers
cheers deltadubie i was not sure how long to leave in cubes before putting cubes in soil pots,
I only have 2 seedling plants (lemon haze)3wks in cups in tent
and 2 in rockwool in germinator from seed to now is 5 days,
i have 4 seeds germinating from dry seed 2 days ago!!
cheers dood :)

cheers deltadubie i was not sure how long to leave in cubes before putting cubes in soil pots,
I only have 2 seedling plants (lemon haze)3wks in cups in tent
and 2 in rockwool in germinator from seed to now is 5 days,
i have 4 seeds germinating from dry seed 2 days ago!!
cheers dood :)

like i said i germinate in a glass wrap toilet paper around inside add water drop in seed between glass and toilet paper
but not into the water .. the paper wickes it up ..make sure seed is in contact with paper n glass..

easy to pull out after it pops for a day or two..

into rockwool cube .. take steak knife cut one side of the cube top to bottom into the centre!
slide the new seedling root and bit of stem into cube slit pulled open a bit .. cube should be soake in
your fert soln.. for babies.. ..

here now we take cube n seedling and put in beer cup full of ( medium hp pro mix for me could be top soil )

cube get pack in loosely at the top but covered .. u never going to touch rock wool again ..

just transplant beer cup 2 - 4 weeks , then i go right into the 7 gallons nexts.. skip the middle transplant .. but you
got to watch watering very closely cause no root ball yet for 2 3 weeks depending on your medium.. atleast 4 5 times a day you got to inspect for dehydration happens very fast here.. water asap if there are..

cheers..

i was not sure how long to leave in cubes before putting cubes in soil pots,

you can transfer the whole thing to soil, roots and all, when you get roots growing out the sides of the cube. i always left the germination cube on. pulling it off would have destroyed most of the roots.

I'm going to use rock wool for the seeds. When they get to be a few inches tall, im planning to transfer the cube & seedling into my grow pot of coco coir. Is that ok to do?

I'm going to use rock wool for the seeds. When they get to be a few inches tall, im planning to transfer the cube & seedling into my grow pot of coco coir. Is that ok to do?

go with a rapid rooter or other grow plug to start.
it's an easier start and will transplant into coco with no issues. rockwool cubes are really best if going into hydroton or other active type of rdwc

in coco most start in a solo cup, then up pot, it's effective and economic. unless auto. a lot of folk start autos in the final pot to avoid stressing the plant at transplant.

Dig a hole in the soil that is the same depth as the rock wool cube and twice the diameter, using your hand. Remove any Rockwool from the outside of the cube that you can gently tug away. Place the cube into the prepared planting hole and pack the soil around the base of the seedling, hope this could help you.

Back
Top Bottom