How do i keep my 4x4 tent kool?

Sbev

I have a hurricane 6inch inline fan pushing in 435 cfm into my tent and just a booster inline 8inch pulling out at the top. Im running an led so the light is not the issue. The issue is i have my hurricane secured to pull from the air directly outside. On days its 90 and 100 plus degrees how do i keep my tent kool with that hot air getting pulled into my tent w.o completely cutting off introducing fresh air from outside an only pulling air out?

Well, you do it about the opposite way most people do it. Typically you'd have your lower powered inline fan (optional) pushing air into your tent from the room it is in. This way you are pulling in "fresh" air from your house/apartment/etc. Then you'd have your more powerful inline fan pulling air out of your tent, and pushing it outside. This way the tent is under negative pressure, cool air is being brought into the tent, and the warmed air from the tent is being pushed outside.

There's not really a good way to cool the 90-100°F air down to the 70's with that kind of airflow, in my opinion.

Okay so you suggest swap it around and just pull the air into my tent from my room. What method would you personally use to keep it kool?

I've been having the same problem. I have a 15x20x10ft space so HVAC can be kind of a nightmare. My IN fan works great to cool down the room with the night air 9PM to 5AM right now(45-50f), but during the daylight hours (my lights are on 8pm to 8am) it pulls in air that is up to 85 degrees and actually heats things up sometimes. My solution was to turn up the ACs and turn the fan thermostat that my inline fan is plugged in to, up to 78. That way, the inline fan that pulls air IN only runs when its really hot and I've just had to rely on the AC's to do the lions share of the cooling. You could look into making an affordable AC out of a five gallon bucket in the DIY section.

I'm not positive the AC solution would work in a tent with lots of air coming in and out though. Probably would be a waste of energy.

Okay so you suggest swap it around and just pull the air into my tent from my room. What method would you personally use to keep it kool?

Yep, I would pull the air into your tent from your room. Depending on the temperature of your room (I'm guessing it's in the 70s), your tent will probably be 5-10°F warmer, so you won't have to have any additional cooling. Make sense?

I noticed you said optional when you mentioned having a weaker fan then the other.. do you believe its better to have equal powered fan both pulling and pushing?

I meant the fan blowing air into the tent is optional. If you don't have a fan there, the fan pulling air out of the tent will create a lower pressure, and pull air into the tent through holes, etc. This is a "passive" air flow system, as you don't rely on anything to push air into the tent.

It's like smoking a joint. You're pulling air through it, and you don't need something to blow air from the other side, as long as there's a way for it to get through.

During the summer, many cut back, I do…now I basically veg under LED's. They are cool, I have them in a closet, I just leave the door open with a couple of clip on fans…I have another closet & tent for bloom, with 400 HPS bulbs,,, I have your' basic inline fan set up…the warm air pumped into tthe attic…bloom lights come on at night, from 6 to 6, when its cooler..

During the summer, many cut back, I do…now I basically veg under LED's. They are cool, I have them in a closet, I just leave the door open with a couple of clip on fans…I have another closet & tent for bloom, with 400 HPS bulbs,,, I have your' basic inline fan set up…the warm air pumped into tthe attic…bloom lights come on at night, from 6 to 6, when its cooler..

My set up COMPLETELY changes from winter to summer. Winters get down to 20 or 30 below at night and constant wind up to 80 and 90mph often where I live so I have to have heaters on deck for the coldest nights and summers get up to 90 or 95 during the day so I sometimes need three ac's cooling my 3000cubic meter space. So frustrating during those transition times! After four years, I longer have to guess what needs to be changed as the weather heats up or cools down. Still dread it when the time approaches though.

Have fun getting things figured out!

Cooling is big one...

At the end of the day you need cooler air for intake than the ambient temp of the grow room to be reasonable effective.

I don't use out side air due to the wide range of temp between day & night through out the seasons e.g freezing to 28c average depending on time of year or where you are in the world.

I use a passive intake and active extraction/exhaust, on average the spare room temp is between 20c to 24c slightly warmer in summer months but i really should get an air cooled hood/reflector for growing in summer to deal with heat generated from the bulb.

So my passive intake vastly works on ambient temp of the spare room.

Back
Top Bottom