How Do I Know What I Need?

flipflopgirl

I feel a bit ignorant for someone who has smoked pot for the biggest part of my living days, however I never really dived into the 420 culture of which I am finding out is really kind of overwhelming. I never thought I would ever come this far in my searching for answers about my love of smoking, but desperation will make folks do desperate things.

I am old school... I don't know what chronic, white widow, blueberry or any of this stuff is that everyone talks about. Typically I get my ounce a week and it lasts me a little over a week, around 3 ciggerettes a day is my max, it has very little seeds and some red hairs and it smokes nice - and gives me a very productive high and sense of well being. I don't ask what it is... by name I just pay for it $160 a week.

Now that I am unemployed I have very little to put towards my daily sanity smoke. So after I went through the emotional delusion that I may be addicted to mj and may need to start a 12 step program.... I sought out 420 and see I am in a community of normal people where my thoughts, words, or actions (some of them) may not be so abnormal.

What I need now... is to take responsibility for my consumption and to learn more. If I consume a oz a week - and would like to use something like a cabinet method to provide myself with my own supply ONLY....

How many plants do I need? should I buy just all female seeds, how do I know what I am ingesting now? is the sea of green method good for me? how long to produce that first weekly batch? Is the risk worth it (your opinions)

I am very good at facilitating and taking care of things that need attention... so I feel I have the motivation for it... I just will feel funny trying to entice the Home Depot guy over to build me a cabinet... HA HA HA...

If anyone out there is farming for one.... and has been very successful at it without alerting an all massive DEA strikedown - please let me know how you did it... I am too broke to pay for this stuff that shouldn't be so damn high priced anyways!

yeah you could go out and spend all kinds of money, but that isnt nessesary. im tight on money, have been for several months now and i still managed to do it.

DanknBeyond said:
Indoor Cultivation is an expensive hobby to say the least. . .

Nowhere near as expensive as buying it off the street.

Well said InYourEndo.

A SEa of Green or "perpetual harvest" would suit you well. You will need two growing areas to do it. You need to have a "mother" plant to take clones from. and have a new start rotating into the flower chamber every couple weeks. With some practice this could be a good fit for you.

4iLLEsT2bTCH0 said:
yeah you could go out and spend all kinds of money, but that isnt nessesary. im tight on money, have been for several months now and i still managed to do it.
I checked out your profile and it looks like you prefer what I am learning is very expensive smoke in my area (so naive... I am) I hate to admit that most of the terminology I am having to learn is coming from my college student when he drops in and hacks my computer to see what I've been into. I noticed you're around his age - you mention you manage to do it... do you mean cultivate your own supply or just... retail shop?

InYourEndo said:
hardly.... you could get something set up for well under 300 bucks that will produce for you... many many many many oz of quality weed. buy yourself a decent light and some dirt and some decent qualitly seeds... do some reading here in the grow forums, read some grow journals... do a little reasearch maybe by a book on mj cultivation... when i first started i spent under 250 dollars. it is do-ble. just need to do some research.

Endo
Research, my specialty - that's what ended me up here - and what interests me even more is that I am learning all of the additional benefits to mj, and now feel such a tremendous burden lifted because it has been for me a life saver. I am concerned very much about my health, and I am searching for ways to use mj to help me heal from a horrible attempt at chemo, and a battle with hepc, panic disorder and agoraphobia. I am embarking on a more natural way of treatment and feel like mj will be a long term part of my life... might as well start learning how to grow the herbs that are best for what I suffer from. Thanks for the encouragement

yeah that stuff is pretty pricey, & it is NEVER around anymore. i smoke whatever my people have. yeha i grow my own lol

Akornpatch said:
[

Nowhere near as expensive as buying it off the street.

Well said InYourEndo.

A SEa of Green or "perpetual harvest" would suit you well. You will need two growing areas to do it. You need to have a "mother" plant to take clones from. and have a new start rotating into the flower chamber every couple weeks. With some practice this could be a good fit for you.

:allgood: I thought I was on the right track! In a few hours of research under the Grow forum the other night I found the terminology "sea of green" and so I'll head in that direction. I am also looking for information that will help me to discern exactly what type of herb would be best for me. I am not sure what I am consuming now (another reason to grow my own) but I am pleased with the product (will post photo maybe someone can help me identify - is it safe to do that?)

Any thoughts?

4iLLEsT2bTCH0 said:
yeah that stuff is pretty pricey, & it is NEVER around anymore. i smoke whatever my people have. yeha i grow my own lol

Any thoughts on what kind grows best for you?

well im still on my first grow... i just realized the way i worded it made it sound like im experienced. im just growing bag seed, its nothing special, but im still proud of my ladies.

Since your specialty is reasearch you need to get on the web and search the seed suppliers web sites for medicinal strains. I recommend a mostly indica plant. Not a full indica nor a full sativa. Sativas are long flowering but some have great pain relief. They also have a up high that doesn't put you on the couch for hours on end. Indicas are smaller plants that flower faster and are known for their lethargic highs and pain killing abilities. I saw a strain called Angel Dust that was suppose to be a great medicine strain. I've never heard anything about it before but want to try it myself even. This cold weather has my arthritis killing me. lol
As for cabinets. look into the c-13 and simular cabinets from home depot. I've seen a lot of great grows utilizing these things and their's very little construction to adapt them for growing. Mostly cutting holes for ventilation and cords and screwing in hooks and hooking up ducts onto fans. I'm sure we all could help you with advice with fan placement and such once you get a cabinet.
99% of us on here are "farming" and doing it without attracting attention. the first thing I can tell you is to not tell anyone who knows where you live or you personally in any way that you are growing. NO ONE! It what get's most people busted. Your a med user. DO NOT EVER SELL! Too many people who suddenly get busted have no problems telling the police where they just bought the bag from. I know at least 6 growers busted that way. Treat your illnesses with cannabis the same way you would your vicoden or zanax. You wouldn't sell it, don't sell your pot.
I use about a once to a ounce and a half a week. I grow 5 to 8 medium sized plants. They get between 2 and 3 feet above the containers and average 3 to 4 ounces per plant. I use a flowering clone technique and occasionally throw in a new plant every now and them by germinating a seed or 2. This routine keeps me well supplied with extra to put towards edibles and hash. IMO with all the ways to clone female/feminized seeds are a waste of money. It's my opinion only though. I think anything more than $3.00 a seed is a rip off. I recommend to you to use bag seed from one of those bags you buy for a first grow. Why waste money on seeds that may only end up being a learning experience. 40% of new growers never harvest a first grow. Most make mistakes that kill and the others just don't know what they are doing period. :cheesygrinsmiley: Seriously...use bag seeds to learn with. Learn what it takes and iron out all the wrinkles before putting out cash for good genetics. If the stuff in the bag was good enough to buy, it should be good enough to grow right?
It will take you about 14 to 16 weeks for seed grow from start to finish. This is with a 8 week flowering strain though. After that if you clone you can reduce the time to 9 to 10 weeks between harvests. A perpetual harvest requires the room for at least 4 plants. You harvest a plant every week. When you pull it for harvest you replace it with a new female clone/plant. You do this every week. I do it by taking clones at 21 days into flower. This way the clones are rooted, revegged and grown enough to place into the flowering chamber as soon as I pull the other one. No matter how you do it, it needs to be a guarranteed female and ready for flower when you harvest the others.
The initial cost of growing is extremely high the first harvest because of the cost of all the equipment from the start up. After that the cost is minimal. I figured it cost me about $12.00 to grow 1 ounce right now. That beats the $250.00+ per ounce they want at all the clubs and on the street.

My only suggestion is for you to start off growing more on a smaller scale like Endo did. ONE TO THREE PLANTS. Growing is not for everyone so its best to start off small and if you like growing it is very easy to upgrade on the next grow. Sea of green is considered a advance method and can become very overwhelming for the beginner. See if you can grow a seed to harvest first before you start trying out different growing methods. Knowledge and patience is the key to growing well and patience is the biggest factor.
What ever you do , good luck and grow well if thats what you decide to do.

Racefan said:
Since your specialty is reasearch you need to get on the web and search the seed suppliers web sites for medicinal strains.....

:allgood: BINGO... again confirmation - I was just speaking with my naturopathic healer (my friend in healing crime) and after our session today (massage, energy healing, atlas alignment, chakra clearing)... I had to speak to her about my special situation with the herbage. Speak meaning... not saying "Hey wanna farm with me!" - but as my partner in healing (I am battling HepC and was a non-responder after 3 mos. of chemo so I am going down that natural path) We gotta keep that stuff in the up and up and open and she's my DR, so I have that confidentiality - getting to the point, she and I both discussed the pharmacology and the breakdown of the meds (xanax, valium, lexapro) that my current DR has me taking and we discovered which parts of the brain all the way down to the "gamma" (1, 2, 3,) is affected most by the meds, now we have to do the same pharmacology research on the strain of herbage... just as you confirmed in your reply to me. I love it when I know I am on the right path, I feel so much lighter and easier.

Thank you for taking your time (a prized commodity) and your knowledge (invaluable) and for sharing. I will take your suggestions very seriously as they do quite relate to what I had been feeling all along. I do take very seriously the risks involved, I've still got some more thinking and research to do on that part, I'm not blessed to live in a medicinal mj state, and after following the links here in the form to the reprecussions in my state... I have to weigh those risks - just like I weigh the retail process too. Every purchase (once a week) is just one more purchase closer to being realized - and I take that risk at $160 a week now with reprecussions of $1,000 fine and misdemeanor - yadda yadda.

Needless to say - I do want to try and outside of the obvious risks of getting caught, I do have other concerns since I live in a residential area... not too sure about "smell". I rent, not own, but it is a house and I do stay home a lot - ... ha ha actually 24-7 for now until I finish school in Jun 07, so I thought maybe a project to keep me occupied while I go through my HepC healing process of flushing, cleansing then fasting, I've got 6 months roughly on my hands. MJ has been recommended... for settling the gastro-system since liver flushing and bowel cleansing (sorry so graphic) can be uncomfortable at times... naseau... etc.. but I survived chemo - so whats an upset stomach or two right?

I have a enclosed garage that is made of all brick, nearly sound proof and I keep sheers on the wall thats all windows so there is a lot of light in that room. We use it for a gym/nothing room. It has a fireplace and I love to have an occassional fire and when I do the whole house has that wonderful fireplace smell... which could help to disguise any smell... plus, I keep some of my firewood inside... and it smells woody and muddy... not to mention the Boxer and two weenie dogs... :laughtwo: yeah... smell is not seeming to be a problem the more I think about it. I have this pantry closet that has a lot of shelves and its off the washroom and we use it for nothing... I am wondering if I can convert it into an experiment closet versus having to go do the cabinet thing... any thoughts?

I have been trying to save the seeds from the batch that I currently partake, but to be quite honest, I'd be lucky to find 7 to 10 seeds a oz. No lie. And as I've mentioned I am not a 420 veteran, infact my husband would probably shoot my a$$ (not really) for me being here for fear obviously of being caught - big brother and all... rightly so - needless to say I don't get very many details about the retail store or the product's key benefits etc.. name brand... but I did snap a couple of photos and posted them in the 420 photo gallery hoping someone could help me identify exactly what type of vegetation I am currently ingesting. If you've seen the photos... let me know what your thoughts are...

THANKS SO MUCH! <bow><curtsy><bow>

Re; Identifying weed by looking at pics--pretty much impossible.
As far as potency, even if it's sparkly, the sparkly part could be from sugar (or salt).
I've seen beautiful looking pot that I was sure as hell was gonna get me blitzed but barely got me off (the dreaded pretendica). And I've smoked crappy looking weed that knocked my socks off.

Back to your main Q--education is the key to success. There are lots of growbooks available, many free, on-line. Anything by Ed Rosental or Jorge Cervantes is top-notch. Before you spend a dime on grow equip, read read read.

RangerDanger said:
Re; Identifying weed by looking at pics--pretty much impossible.......Back to your main Q--education is the key to success. There are lots of growbooks available, many free, on-line. Anything by Ed Rosental or Jorge Cervantes is top-notch. Before you spend a dime on grow equip, read read read.

:cheesygrinsmiley: Thanks for the feedback! You are right in that I didn't get much response from the photos of my retail herb, and I guess it really doesn't matter what the street name is for any of it... Reading and research will be my key, and I very much appreciate your leads to the books. I'm finding that there is a lot of information right here in the forum too, which is very helpful.

I'm still in the discovery stage as far as my grow debate, I think its more wishful thinking than anything, isn't it? That baggie that never gets empty! HA HA HA... I am weighing some other alternatives too, like educating myself on my usage - and exactly "what" I am ingesting, maybe there is something out there that is a better grade or quality that would be easier to ingest, maybe smoking joints isn't the way to go... ideally, I would like to stop using an oz a week, and drop it down to something a bit more reasonable and affordable.

Thanks again for your feedback and great info!

Back
Top Bottom