How do I Low Stress Train my plants?

OK then, many of you asked for it and here it is. I had to grow a practice plant just for this Low Stress Training tutorial. :rofl: just kidding, but here's a little one I'm going to be putting outdoors soon. It's an og Kush S1 offspring, of my first ever grow. It's being grown out to determine its likelihood of herminess©. I've got three of them and I'll do different grow strategies for each of them. Others will follow soon. But for now here is the beginning of a properly low stress trained ONLY plant. This plant's training was started after the third node cleared.

Step #1 Fasten a counter acting yarn, string, etc... to the base of the stem. I like to put it just below the first set of true leaf stems.
20160512_204541.jpg

You can see I've use a stake and a pipe cleaner to secure the stem in a vertical position. I'm not bending anything yet, just creating a counter force to balance it out when you pull it the other way. This also hold the plant in place so the you don't uproot the seedling while you constantly pull the stem more and more sideways.

Step #2 The double tap... No no that later. Step #2 is limber up... (zombieland) what this means is that you just bend the stem back and forth a little eventually leaning it to the direction you're planning on guiding it around the pot.
20160512_204636.jpg

Just us a finger and bend it towards your destination. You'll see that it doesn't take much and it will want to stay bent over.

Step #3 attach counter string for larger plants or place a guide/stake to secure the stem I'm the desired position
20160512_204720.jpg

I used a length of coated wire to pin the stem near horizontally. With the next node that grows at it end is clear of the previous the stake can be moved up the stem and by then you should be growing horizontal.

You can see that the very bottom node will become new auxiliary shoots. And the growth at the node above(at the bend) will know become my secondary shoots. The main stem will continue around the pot.

After a few more days we can add a stake further down the stem. Notice the small shoots are starting to pop out from the nodes all along the stem. It is good if you can keep the stem from twisting, I remove the leaf facing downward to prevent it from doing just that. But I leave the top leaf so that it shades the new nodes, which like to stretch in the shade to find light... Correct?
20160523_120226.jpg

Here's a top view of the same stage
20160523_120249.jpg

NOW were again a few days further along for this next stage of training. I've removed another downward facing leaf and I am spreading the newest leaves at the locomotive end to help keep nodes tight. Notice the "hump", this is ideal for creating temporary main shoots. The shoots coming from the top of the hump are now actually my main stems. Although the majority of energy is still going to the primary growth tip.
20160524_163244.jpg

You can see the little leaves still clumped together, I use I mini screwdriver for repairing glasses to pry them open gently to expose the next set to the light.
20160524_163253.jpg

NOW I've got everything pretty much levelled out. I've added an extra stake to make it as straight as I can. Won't be long before I'm training the secondary shoots.
20160525_143425.jpg

This is merely the beginning of this this tutorial. Hope this helps those who were wondering where and when to start.

Stay tuned for the next instalment, we're about to make a left turn around the pot. Thanks for making me do this, I'm having fun with these practice plants. Poor little thing...
Keep Training, Keep Learning, Keep sharing
:ciao:

KiG Everyone :green_heart:Cheers

thank u...looking foward for next picts....can we\ do this on autos?

Absolutely SolarEc, this is probably the easiest and most conservative way to train autos. You'll see with my Jawsephine that I'll be able to get as may Colas as if I would top... Stay tuned my friend.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Amazing tutorial! Would be great to try it out.

Ah, I forgot to sub up to this one to keep watching the progress :) Good job on the tutorials! Will be looking forward to the next update.

It's now time to make the left turn. It's getting a little busy in there with all the stakes. But this is what a call Shepparding my plant. I'll figuratively hold its hand and guide it around to where I want it to go.

Not too complicated here, just adding one more stake.

20160527_170253.jpg

I place it slightly off center in the direction I want to make the turn. Only a few millimetres at a time, I'll adjust it a couple times a day making ever so little adjustments. This is the first one I did.

20160527_170239.jpg

The secondary nodes have not really started up yet, so I'll focus on the left turn only for now.
20160527_170307.jpg

This an autoflower plant I'm growing, you can see that secondary growth is much faster then the specimen above. You can train these new branches too.
20160527_1654251.jpg

Feel free to leave a comment or ideas for how to improve my strategy. Thanks for reading :Namaste:

Keep Training, Keep Learning, Keep Sharing

KiG Everyone :green_heart:cheers

Nice work once again Snid, great update to the tutorial. This is certainly the type of training I would like to try sometime soon rather than just FIM'ing or topping and then tying back branches.

Would it be beneficial to start the seedling off-center in a pot, closer to the outside edge and then just wrap it around in a circle from there? I was just thinking whether or not it may be a bit easier to get that circular formation for a beginner to LST.
Just a thought that popped into my head as I started typing and thought I would get your opinion on this.

Truth is that I didn't plan on doing these tutorials. These plants are less than free for me since I've got hundreds of seeds that are s1 og Kush (self pollination) so I didn't care if I lost them.

I would ideally sprout the seeds closer to one side which will give you room to make the turn. Although most of the time you are training limbs above the pots rim, unless they're small like this one.

Short answer is yes! Starting closer to one edge of the pot than the other is beneficial.

Perfect, just what I like to hear. I'm sure there will be others that will see this tutorial and wonder the same thing, now it is answered :)

Thank you once again my friend! Keep up the good work

Well for all of your benefit I have clued in on something I seem to have overlooked. We had decided to make a left turn in the last lesson, but my ignorance didn't think of one possibility. My light was on the wrong side of the plant and therefore made the plant twist and it seems it decided it wanted to go right instead. Who am I to argue with it:)

20160529_110309.jpg

So there's an important note to remember, use your light like gravity and amplify your training by using its all mighty force. Haha.. Obiwan, Use the force young Jedi, but beware the power of the darkside.

So what were doing now is using the stakes as a wedge creating a pivot point. Much like the first step, you want to counteract the action you're taking creating balance to the force... What your are using to make it bend is up to your preference, either another stake or you can use garden ties to pull it into position. A combination of both is acceptable but not necessary for seedlings. If you have a mature plant garden ties may be the only way to hold it down.

20160529_110320.jpg

I have clipped the top hanging leaves for a better view of what's going on. It's not necessary to remove these yet. But you can see all the secondary growth beginning to flourish.

20160529_110357.jpg

That's it for this write up, i hope you're all doing some great training yourselves... Thanks for looking into LST.

Keep Training, Keep Learning, Keep Sharing

Everyone should leave THEIR OWN examples of how they low stress train their plants. You don't have to describe the pics if you don't want to. But I'd love to see more examples of ways people achieve the goal of a low plant. Same for if you have questions, leave a pic and we can all determine where you should train from there.

Please add your OWN low stress training pics for all to benefit.

KIG :green_heart:cheers

420-magazine-mobile1501367114.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1840601234.jpg

I was watching a YouTube video on LST and he had a product that had a band that went around the pot and had bands hanging from it to LST the branches. I decided to make my own with twisty wire...ck out the green band going around my pot and the anchor one going across the top to keep it from sliding. This way I don't have to keep putting holes in my pots and they can be reused.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom