420 Magazine Background

How do I lower pH in Sohum living soil?

FourTwoZero420

I am using Sohum living soil just add water i test the ph of the runoff today and it was about 7.89 it needs to be around 6.5, i always water her with water ph'd at 6.5-6.8 to lower the soil ph do i need to water her with water at a lower ph level or what do i need to do?

Emilya

Member of the Month: Mar 2019
you need to stop measuring the runoff pH in soil and worrying about it. The number you are getting is meaningless. Second, why in the world are you worried about pH if you are using Sohum?

Emilya

Member of the Month: Mar 2019
oh, i thought it was a living soil and it didnt matter... I guess they do have a nutrient system that goes with it too... are you running that? Anyway, think of your container like a coffee percolator... the more soil the water goes through, the more sediment it brings out with it. This is why your pH risis. It is nothing to worry about... pure physics. Runoff pH in soil is meaningless and has nothing to do with the pH of the soil. You should not even worry about the pH of that soil... it is not something you can easily adjust. Just make sure you adjust to the pH they say that you need to with every fluid that hits the sohum, and it should work just fine.

FourTwoZero420

oh, i thought it was a living soil and it didnt matter... I guess they do have a nutrient system that goes with it too... are you running that? Anyway, think of your container like a coffee percolator... the more soil the water goes through, the more sediment it brings out with it. This is why your pH risis. It is nothing to worry about... pure physics. Runoff pH in soil is meaningless and has nothing to do with the pH of the soil. You should not even worry about the pH of that soil... it is not something you can easily adjust. Just make sure you adjust to the pH they say that you need to with every fluid that hits the sohum, and it should work just fine.
It is a living soil i just read up on it on there website it says no need to ph your medium but on the bag it says water ph 6.5 so I'm gyessing you just water at 6.5 and the ph of the soil doesnt matter like you said thank you for your help

I just started my first organic grow using Sohum. You are supposed to use RO ph'd water to feed with NO RUN OFF...
If you are watering and having run off back off on your watering or you will wash away all of the nutrients and amendments, then your plants will have deficiencies. The point of Sohum soil is water only for life of the plants, Veg through flower.

Also I spoke with a Rep from Sohum. He told me to use 5 gallons of soil for every foot of height you want your plants to grow to. I have already potted up my plants at 2 weeks from seed, into 15 gallon cloth pots. I have 4 -15 gallon pots in a 3' x 3' tent, I am making a 4 plant scrog.

My last grow was hydro using coco and Advance nutes, feeding to 20% run off. That is when checking run off came in handy for me...

Last edited:

GodOfPot

GDI 5 gallons per foot??? That’s crazy...I’ve grown many 6-7’ plants in a 5 gallon pot

4 x 15’s in a 3’x3’ is tight...I have troubles with 4 x 10’s in a 4’x4’

bobrown14

Grow Journal of the Month: Dec 2017
GDI 5 gallons per foot??? That’s crazy...I’ve grown many 6-7’ plants in a 5 gallon pot

4 x 15’s in a 3’x3’ is tight...I have troubles with 4 x 10’s in a 4’x4’

This ^^^ I have to bend my plants over in a 7' high space.

Water only - yes can water until run off - leave soil container sit in the water runoff. The plant will drink it back up along with any supposed nutrients that "flushed" out. lol

That doesn't happen btw - nutrients don't get washed out of the soil.
The sohum guy trying to sell you more soil.

Your 15 gal cloth pots can be re-used with the same soil for next round.

While your plants are in VEG - check out "No-till" GOP grows no-till as do I.

This plant stretched into light @7' in a 7.5gal pot.

Maybe the Sohum guy meant for every GAL = 1 foot of height?? Prolly a little closer I'm thinking.

Growca2268

I just started my first organic grow using Sohum. You are supposed to use RO ph'd water to feed with NO RUN OFF...
If you are watering and having run off back off on your watering or you will wash away all of the nutrients and amendments, then your plants will have deficiencies. The point of Sohum soil is water only for life of the plants, Veg through flower.

Also I spoke with a Rep from Sohum. He told me to use 5 gallons of soil for every foot of height you want your plants to grow to. I have already potted up my plants at 2 weeks from seed, into 15 gallon cloth pots. I have 4 -15 gallon pots in a 3' x 3' tent, I am making a 4 plant scrog.

My last grow was hydro using coco and Advance nutes, feeding to 20% run off. That is when checking run off came in handy for me...
How are the plants looking? Heard this stuff is bomb.

Top Bottom