How Do I Quick-Dry My Buds?

Anyone tried using dessicants to speed up the process?
I just posted a thread about this in Growers Forums' Curing section

You mean the stuff that they put in shoe boxes? A friend swears by it but I haven't tried it myself.

I also want to try the rice grains method. Fill a container with uncooked rice, place the buds there, and the close the lid tight. This works with mobile phones that fell in water. Apparently, rice sucks the water out.

I use the paper bag method. You just put your bud in paper bags (I like to lay them on baking racks), put them in a nice, warmish place (they can dry almost too fast in the living room in winter with the pellet stove so I usually try to put them near a heater vent instead), and open the bags once a day to ventilate until dry. Usually takes a week or thereabouts. After that, I move them to jars for curing but we used to never even do that - just bag dried and smoked.

I too, am curious about a dehydrator. I would invest in a good quality food dehyd. you can return it if its not doing what u purchased it for. How about a hair dryer. Lots of control here. And hair dryers w/ a bonnet. Cover ur product with the bonnet and turn the dryer on. Ck it in 10 min or so until u know a time frame. (my thinking mind at work.) I like the put it on the heat vent on the floor overnite method.:clap::goodluck::goodluck::loopy::yahoo::battingeyelashes:

one easy way is to use a green house method put your buds in a mini green house and have a heat lamp over it and the heat will build causing them to dry faster

I have used a room de- humidifier . Seems to work ok for me but you still need to give it 4 to 5 days after a day of the machine.
Anyone else tried it ? If not why notn ?
cheers Bill , Kent england.

What is damp rid please ? I use a de-humidifier in a small spce i.e. a cupboard for about 24 hours or so then dry it naturally for 4-5 days. It works well but interested what others think ?

Bill Kent, England

I figured every time I tried to speed up the process, in the end I would get overly-dry and brittle bud, which is no good.

But if the ambient humidity is too high - some CaCl granules (aka damp rid aka premium sidewalk deicer) placed in the same airtight container with bud (do not contact or raise dust!!!) work like magic to get the process going (tip - you don't need much, just throw some on the bottom of your container and cover it with a paper towel)

Again - never use the bud that was touching CaCl - the stuff becomes corrosive when it comes in the contact with water.

I have decided to try the quick method on a few little nuggets. I picked out the Nugget that I wanted trim. I'm trimmed the leaves off and cut up the bud. Placing the bud on a piece of aluminum foil and placing it on top of my receiver. After it was dry enough I Ground it in my grinder and placed it back on the aluminum foil and back on the receiver to finish dying. I was very pleased with the way it came out. Was not harsh, dried very well, This was from bag seed, but it really showed me how good it can be. After 1 hit I was good to go. This will be some very good bud!! The ash was gray or white. no harsh taste, I use Blue Planet Nutrients with no after taste. I'm sold!,

I use a toaster over to quick dry my bud and it works absolutely perfectly and is totally easy -- quick smoke every time.

All you need is a toaster oven with a thermostat that can go low, like 150-200 degress. Turn the over on to ~200 and let it warm up for 5-10 minutes (at least until the elements turn off once). Turn the temp down a little bit aiming for 150-180 degrees. Put you freshly plucked buds on a piece of heavy tin foil that you've folded into a tray. Walk away :) In 30-60min you'll have crispy buds that'll grind up and smoke easily. This won't damage your bud like other methods!

Putting your bud on top of electronics or over a heating vent takes way too long, and your bud can get contaminated with dust and pet hair, or be blown over by an errant breeze, or just whatever.

A microwave has way too much power. The trichs can get overexcited and burst, essentially being boiled off. Microwaving with water is an improvement, but way too fussy -- there's a good chance you'll ruin your bud.

Toaster oven FTW. Best balance of speed, efficiency, and smokeability. But don't take my word for it ...

:Namaste:

Got toaster oven going right now, on "convection bake" mode, at 200F. Convection turns a fan on inside the unit. I've got a few buds on a tin foil square, with the oven door opened. Hovering around 200, give or take a few tens of degrees. The open door helps, and patience seems to, as well.

i dont grow yet. but i dumpster dive alot. i live in la so when people get done harvesting out here. they just throw plant away. i take it home and sort thru it. some times just get decent leaves to cook edibles with. but this time i got a bunch of bud wadded up too. took for ever to separate cut up main stems out of it. looked like a commercial type harvest. very sticky. any ways i had them in paper bags for a couple days. but weather started getting cold.

i moved it into a big box one layer thick of bud. and just have it in my house with fan over it. one bud looks ready i think. but the rest looks really dark but pretty dry. does the color need to turn lighter befor you know it is ready to toke on?

still looks sugary too

My thoughts exactly. Why in hell would you spend all that time caring for and nurturing your buds if you're just going to ruin them in the oven or microwave?

you're right man! using an oven or microwave to dry the buds is a no no to me! it can lose some THC and potency of the buds when it gets too hot. i just can't trust the microwave

5 to 10 days is worth the wait no need to rush. A fast way to dry a bud is to put it withe some dry bud . The buds will absorb the moisture from the wet bud than dry out even this still takes time.

i dont grow yet. but i dumpster dive alot. i live in la so when people get done harvesting out here. they just throw plant away. i take it home and sort thru it. some times just get decent leaves to cook edibles with. but this time i got a bunch of bud wadded up too. took for ever to separate cut up main stems out of it. looked like a commercial type harvest. very sticky. any ways i had them in paper bags for a couple days. but weather started getting cold.

i moved it into a big box one layer thick of bud. and just have it in my house with fan over it. one bud looks ready i think. but the rest looks really dark but pretty dry. does the color need to turn lighter befor you know it is ready to toke on?

still looks sugary too

Lol cold in LA thats funny. the day before the bud is ready it will smell bad/ the next day the bud should smell like good bud and the stems should snap you should notice as the days go by the bud will taste and smoke better and the potency will increase as the Tricombs become crystallized.

Hey I really want to know how I can dry my buds discretely. Is there some way to dry my buds by (Just my first idea) putting the bud into a rubbish bag, putting that rubbish bag into a sealed bucket which will be placed into the ground and buried? This would be ideal but any ideas or feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! :Namaste: :thanks: :love: :high-five:

Hey I really want to know how I can dry my buds discretely. Is there some way to dry my buds by (Just my first idea) putting the bud into a rubbish bag, putting that rubbish bag into a sealed bucket which will be placed into the ground and buried? This would be ideal but any ideas or feedback would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! :Namaste: :thanks: :love: :high-five:

Freeze dry. place buds in between wax paper layers in a freezer or cooler place a piece of dry Ice on top. the buds are dry when the stems snap.

Freeze dry. place buds in between wax paper layers in a freezer or cooler place a piece of dry Ice on top. the buds are dry when the stems snap.

Thanks for the reply :thumb: This isn't what I was hoping for but good advice non the less. I was hoping for some way to dry it outside and underground but thanks for the reply anyway. Links or any advice on how I could achieve this would be appreciated, thanks :Namaste: :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom