420 Magazine Background

How do I use Chitosan Oligosaccharide to replace Bud Factor X?

Thread starter #1
The three main ingredients in Bud Factor X are Axiom Harpin Protein, Salicylic Acid, and Chitosan. I can find a lot of information on how to use the first two but all I can find on how to use Chitosan is someone who shares he uses Chitosan Oligosaccharide (which is what I just ordered) at a 0.5-1 gram per gallon rate on soil. He was using it as a replacement for BFX. Does anyone have any experience using it (especially usage/mixing rates) they want to share?

Last edited:

fanleaf

Good question and I have wondered this myself to the point I have found the components but am not sure how to do it. I know I have used Bud Factor X for the last several years and do not want to be without it because it absolutely does work. I would just like to make it myself so it's not $50 per liter.

Thread starter #3
Good question and I have wondered this myself to the point I have found the components but am not sure how to do it. I know I have used Bud Factor X for the last several years and do not want to be without it because it absolutely does work. I would just like to make it myself so it's not $50 per liter.
From the eBay listing:
"To prepare a 1 mg/ml stock solution: Add 100 mg of Chitosan Oligosaccharide into a 100 ml volumetric flask or other glass container. Once completely dissolved, bring to full volume with molecular biology grade water. Stirring the solution while adding water may be required to keep the material in solution. Add 1.0 ml of the stock solution to 1 liter of medium to obtain a final concentration of 1.0 mg/L of the Chitosan Oligosaccharide in the culture medium. Store the stock solution at 2 - 8 °C. "

The posting on another site references using between 0.5 to 1 gram per gallon (supposedly he was replacing $300 of BFX per grow); I'm thinking leaning towards the half a gram per gallon usage rate to start with; it sure seems like a lot of work to prepare a stock solution when preparing the final one would be so easier.

Salicylic Acid is another ingredient that is in it. One can either use an aspirin in a gallon of water or just buy an ounce from eBay for under $5. If I'm going to use it as both root drench and a foliar spray, I'll want to avoid aspirin's added stuff on my plants, so I bought the ounce.

Axiom Harpin Protein is readily available with instructions on the package.

Right now I'm leaning towards applying the Axiom Harpin Protein separately per package instructions and combining the Chitosan and Salicylic Acid together as a root drench and a foliar spray. I plan to apply them at the same frequency as BFX is recommended to be applied, which is weekly (wks. 1-6 of flower). That means the Salicylic Acid rate of 1 aspirin (325mg) per gallon every three weeks needs to be at roughly 0.10 gram per week.

Are you applying it as a foliar spray, root drench or both? Are you using it by itself or added to nute solution? Are you using AN's recommended feeding schedule; or when do you start the application, when do you end and is it still weekly?

As you can tell by my questions I've never used the product (and I'll be darned if I pay AN's prices for what I can make for literally pennies on the dollar) so any direction would be helpful.

Last edited: