How do you feel about 420 Commercialization?

OpenYourEyes

Many people celebrate marijuana on April 20th, but it appears that advertising executives are seeing a different shade of green. It seems like 420 has recently become much more commercialized than ever before. G4 spent the whole day on its 420 special and Comedy Central did its part showing Cheech and Chong movies. The ONDCP even got in on the action, publishing a brochure for parents entitled "4-20–Did You Know That This Is More Than Just a Date?" For better or worse, 420 is now becoming mainstream. On one hand, I worry that MTV-like endorsements might set back the movement by only emphasizing the party aspects. Yet I also feel that any publicity raises awareness, and the more that marijuana is integrated into society, the closer we come to legalization. So what do you guys think?

I think this was and is inevitable. The closer we come to acceptance the more main stream business will want to get in. They of all people know just how lucrative the stoner market is. I take this as a good sign. The Christians had a fish, so stoners can have 420. Basic economic branding lol
Thanks for posting. let's see what others have to say.

It is a double edged sword. The more publicity, the more the message can be spun against us, yet the publicity brings us awareness, which changes minds, and increases tolerance. We all know what happens in the U.S. when someone see's cash, they pass laws to make that cash easier to make for a few, and impossible for the rest :)

I am writing a paper on social control, After I decided that me and calculus were not getting along, I worked on my social science degree. There are so many things people can learn, simply by stepping out of their shoes, and trying on a pair of someone else's for awhile.

The hardest part is finding the research papers and footnotes :)

I think people would freak if they knew more about social science. It opens worlds of knowledge for people that are interested in what makes a society stable.

Even More reason,
We need to take control and network Today
while we have at least a shot of gettin' a piece of control :cheesygrinsmiley:

(ay, it always sounds good in my head :)

Been there done that:
Summers in Key West,
everybody use to close shop and go fishin'.
Till around 5 or 6pm, everyday.
Now they don't own much But there are Millions made in hours.

Even the History Channel did their part by showing their "Hooked" series.

I see the commercialization of 420 as the Deep Throat of cannabis. More publicity means more are aware, perhaps then seeking the truths behind the wonderful plant.

well my wife is in public relations, and i say that the only bad publicity is no publicity. there's two sides to everything, of course whenever there's a lot of people behind an idea or a lifestyle, big companies want to try to tap into that, to make money, it's capitalism. on the other hand, it will help raise awareness for what we are fighting for, so i'll take the cheech and chong movies and shit like that, because more people will get curious, and become a bit desensitized to "Evil Marijuana" and "Reefer Madness", and if they become desensitized, then they will eventually see that the prohibition of marijuana and the "war on drugs" has been a complete and utter failure, and it's wasted billions of dollars instead of making billions of dollars in possible tax revenue. and the prisons wouldn't be congested with non violent weed offenders. i want my tax dollars to pay for the cops to go after violent offenders, rapists and murderers, and corporate thieves fucking over the working middle class. anybody with me ?? ha ha ha

Richard Nixon sucked.

If anyone didn't know or forgot, he was the one who pushed congress to make marijuana a schedule 1 drug in the first place. He thought all the "hippies"; with their peaceful ideals, would create an uprising against the government (the Vietnam War). So he tried to stamp it out with all those harsh laws.

I hope that made since. Just smoked a bowl and a little light headed.

I am writing a paper on social control, After I decided that me and calculus were not getting along, I worked on my social science degree. There are so many things people can learn, simply by stepping out of their shoes, and trying on a pair of someone else's for awhile.

The hardest part is finding the research papers and footnotes :)

I think people would freak if they knew more about social science. It opens worlds of knowledge for people that are interested in what makes a society stable.

Bravo :clap: excellent topic. Boss I only had one semester sociology, and you're motivating me to do some more classes! I watch people all the time, maybe I could put some of it to use.

I agree with Moose that it would become inevitable, what needs to be done in response is a timely & precise message put in many diffent ways for all to understand.

as a sidenote; in the trailer park boys series you can find 420 plastered on about everything from meat market price signs to big rigs anything with a number almost. i enjoy such references but that is still an underground message. anything mainstream or more over the top about 4/20-4;20 and what everyone is "doing" on said 420 i take as an insult to my life style and love of 420.

Back
Top Bottom