How do you pros trim mothers?

macbeard

I am a first-time grower. Right now I only have one big plant going, from bagseed, but for my next grow I have some Recon seeds from DNA genetics and i want to have one of two mothers and a sea of green setup.

My question is this:
When growing a mother, how do you trim to get the most clonable branches? I've read that a single plant can produce dozens of clones per week, are we talking about enormous plants here? Also, once you've cut a clone, do more branches typically grow from the place where the cut was made on the mother? When I took clones, I took off the bottom 4 branches at the stem before I cut them at an angle and planted them, but what would have happened if I'd left them there? Would more vegetations have grown back?

-macbeard

Much appreciated, I found loads of information in the FAQ's but I could find an answer to my question about trimming for maximum clonable branches. Anybody else have some advice?

haha looks like no one likes to give straight answers to a noob around here anymore :rollit: If you cut the entire branch off of the lady she will not grow another branch in that location. Do not cut it entirely off and go about an inch below the third growth area at a 45 degree angle. This may not be the proper way but it works for me and I still end up with new vegetation growing on that branch in a week. How many clones do you plan on snipping at a time?

I've been lurking in the shadows trying to get my new grow room dialed in :ganjamon: I got a whole lot of new seeds to work with and am sprouting one of each to see which lady is going to be a keeper :grinjoint: So far I have been rather disappointed to tell you the truth :thedoubletake: but pretty stoned none the less :rollit:

When growing a mother, how do you trim to get the most clonable branches?
always split each branch leaving at least 4 side-shots for maximum clone production

I've read that a single plant can produce dozens of clones per week, are we talking about enormous plants here?
normal size plants (up to 4-5 ft tall and 3 to 4 ft wide) can produce as much as 100-120 clones every 2 weeks (but not forever, after 4-5 cycles of cutting they need rest). The number depends on the way the plants branches, the internodal distance and the general density. Basically it depends on the genetics.
:grinjoint:

:peace:

Ok, this is great. These are the kinds of things I was trying to find out thanks for all the helpful info. One of my recon seedlings developed pistils visible under a magnifying glass... I can't wait! It already stinks worse than my 4-week flowering plant from bagseed... I guess you can't argue with good genetics! another couple weeks and I'll be using all this good advice to start a little recon army.
Tonystarks: Thanks for the advice, for now I will probably only be taking 2-4 clones a month, but I was curious about the bigger picture for future reference.

-macbeard

I start from the bottom and work my way up looking at the plant and thinking whats going to happen when I cut that branch. Excepet for the lower branches I always leave a set of branches so that two will now grow where one was. Take the sided branches as your clones and then you can start to munipulate the branches why they are still soft to optimize light gathering. So off of three plants avg size of 20" I have a minium of 15 side branches. Off of three plants this week I have taken 27 clones with the abilty to get another 15 - 20 this week. Next week I the plants will have the abilty to almost double that # or however long it takes for the side branches to grow shoots with at least 6" + an extra set on side branches so that they can double again, so on and so forth. Just rember the easiest way to minupulate the plant and increase yield is to use the shoots and the cheapiest way is to cut wire coat hangers and move the side branches where u want them to go and the hight you want them at

Back
Top Bottom