How does growing in soil compare to hydro?

I have done several hydro grows inside my closet with much success.

I am getting tired to having to clean up spills and having such a large resevoir in a closet of my family home always worries me. My next grow will be in soil.

How fast do plants grow in soil compared to hydro? Do they have a better taste? I have heard they do.

I hope to hear from someone that has tried both. Your answer is very important to me. Thanks! ;)

I believe the taste is the biggest difference... It's like comparing grocery store hothouse tomatoes to tomatoes grown in your own garden.

Plants definitely grow slower in soil, I've heard some people state numbers like 25% slower (not sure I believe it), but my girls in Superoots Air-pots with a high quality soil mix are no slouches either.

I believe the taste is the biggest difference... It's like comparing grocery store hothouse tomatoes to tomatoes grown in your own garden.

Plants definitely grow slower in soil, I've heard some people state numbers like 25% slower (not sure I believe it), but my girls in Superoots Air-pots with a high quality soil mix are no slouches either.

25% does sound like a big difference. My guess would be closer to 10%. However that would be a guess because I have never grown a plant to maturity in soil before. This beautiful plant grows extremely fast anyway no matter what the method!

I am just starting my 6th Hydro grow and have already had two water accidents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No big deal. I have already cleaned up the mess.

I like the idea of the simplicity of soil. Not have to worry about spills. I can move the plants easier. The better taste is a great plus!!!

I grow for myself anyway and grow more than I can possibly smoke. I usually give alot if it away for free. I

I have been growing strawberries under a gs 600 in hydro. There ver juicy and delicious, way better than grocery store. not exactly mj though.

25% does sound like a big difference. My guess would be closer to 10%. However that would be a guess because I have never grown a plant to maturity in soil before. This beautiful plant grows extremely fast anyway no matter what the method!

I am just starting my 6th Hydro grow and have already had two water accidents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No big deal. I have already cleaned up the mess.

I like the idea of the simplicity of soil. Not have to worry about spills. I can move the plants easier. The better taste is a great plus!!!

I grow for myself anyway and grow more than I can possibly smoke. I usually give alot if it away for free. I

Yeah, I would agree with 10% maybe even 15% and yes, they are very persistent plants!

As far as water accidents, I remember saying in another thread that I've often wondered how many people are sitting in a cell because a landlord had to enter an apartment because of water coming into a neighbor's apartment!

I have been growing strawberries under a gs 600 in hydro. There ver juicy and delicious, way better than grocery store. not exactly mj though.

Mmmm... Strawberries! :bong:

I asked Pit Viper the same question on his post because he has experience in both hydro and soil. In my opinion his answer has the most credibility.

According to the him. You save about 2 weeks in the veg process. However, the flowering process take the same exact time!!!

There is a difference in growth, no doubt. You can't beat the root system in a good hydro system. I was in the same boat as well. I started growing with a dwc system that worked great, huge stalk, tons of roots, and a lot of flowers. When I moved into my new place I had to use the closet in my bedroom. It became a complete pain in the you know what after a while. Not being able to walk around the plant, moving the plant out for water changes, height limitations, etc...

I made the switch to soil with no disappointments at all. Yes the growth rate is slower, both height and fullness of the plant during veg, but by harvest time results were not too far off from each other. I pulled about 15% less total weight with Smart Pots vs DWC. Lots of variables between the grows though.

I really enjoy growing in soil, it's easy and works for my space. If I had a large area I would consider hydro again as well.

I think we are all pretty much in agreement. If a strain takes 10 weeks to finish It's going to take the same time to finish soil or hydro. However, if hydro has an increased growth rate of 10-15% you are going to end up with the higher percentage in your harvest.

I can't stress enough how much difference the pot makes when growing in soil. I now exclusively use Superoots Air-pots. I've grown cuttings from the same plant side by side in Air-Pots and regular nursery pots, and the difference is amazing. Another benefit is that you can grow much larger plants in smaller pots, on my current grow I let some of my plants veg too long, and now I have plants almost 5 feet tall growing in 3.4 gallon Air-pots.

The Smart Pots didn't work as well for me because of the way I grow. I like to let the soil dry out a bit between waterings, and without some kind of reservoir at the top, the water just wanted to run out the side of the fabric.

I can't stress enough how much difference the pot makes when growing in soil. I now exclusively use Superoots Air-pots. I've grown cuttings from the same plant side by side in Air-Pots and regular nursery pots, and the difference is amazing. Another benefit is that you can grow much larger plants in smaller pots, on my current grow I let some of my plants veg too long, and now I have plants almost 5 feet tall growing in 3.4 gallon Air-pots.

The Smart Pots didn't work as well for me because of the way I grow. I like to let the soil dry out a bit between waterings, and without some kind of reservoir at the top, the water just wanted to run out the side of the fabric.

That ^^^^ :high-five: I'll not use any other containers unless forced to do so - Air Pots are, indeed, the bomb.

I used to grow in hydroponics for a long time, and switched to soil and never looked back. You may get a little benefit from growing in hydro like *slightly* bigger buds but on the other hand it is tons and tons more work, more electricity, as well as more risk of destroying your crop by having too high a PH or something like that. Not mixxing the chems rights. Soil is so easy. You get a soil blend, you plant it, and you water it...giving it HYGROZYMe OR SENSISYM every other water. Put them in 3 gallon smart pots and your plants will grow as big or bigger buds as well as better tasting because the best tasting cannabis is grown in SOIL. I recommend FOX FARM OCEAN FORREST witha little tiny bit of fertilizer as they bud....over and OUT!!!

Back
Top Bottom