How far can reflective material reflect?

Latorre

420 Member
I have a 90x90cm tent, and a ts-1000 growing light,which is underpowered for 90x90, I'm using that black and white reflective plastic for groiwng, not sure what the name is.
Does it even help considering the plants are 20-40 away from the walls? How far does it reflect?

Three more of those lights would be great in your grow space.

It does not matter how reflective the material is if you do not have enough light to begin with.

Does not matter the type of light if there is not enough. The material does not make up for low light. Pick what you as the grower want for lights and then put in enough to reflect.:)

I use some reflective interior insulation sheeting. Other people use one of the Mylar products which is what I think you have. Then some people swear by painting the walls in a flat white.

It does not matter how reflective the material is if you do not have enough light to begin with.

Does not matter the type of light if there is not enough. The material does not make up for low light. Pick what you as the grower want for lights and then put in enough to reflect.:)

I use some reflective interior insulation sheeting. Other people use one of the Mylar products which is what I think you have. Then some people swear by painting the walls in a flat white.
I do have enough light tho, my girls are growing grate. I just dont wanna use 90x90, the lights are enough, what im asking is if the reflective material being far renders it useless

If you stick a plant near the wall of your space and there's not sufficient light to facilitate growing/flowering it, then the maximum amount of light that wall is going to reflect back towards the center of your grow can reasonably be characterized as "not worth mentioning," IMHO. I'm guessing that's the sentiment that they were trying to convey, above.

If that answer doesn't work for you, there's always: "Every situation is different. If you want to know the answer in regards to your specific setup, buy an Apogee MQ-500 or MQ-501, and you'll find out." But generally speaking, I think the above pretty much covers it, lol.

As light strength is reduced by the square of the distance, I think reflective light would be reduced the same way. I too use black/white poly hung from the cieling to make a 6X5 foot grow area. In that grow area, I have a 4X4 foot scrog, so my "tent" walls are maximum 1 foot from my scrog frame. So, the light travels 2 feet(there and back). If it was half that distance, it would be 4 times stronger. Note; that's close, as math is not my forte!

I do have enough light tho, my girls are growing grate. I just dont wanna use 90x90, the lights are enough, what im asking is if the reflective material being far renders it useless
OK. Got it. It is not entirely useless but I have found that that the reflected light is not as important as having a lot of direct light. The more the merrier.

You will get some reflection but it will be minimal. Put a plant in one corner allowing for some room on the sides. Position the light above it. You should then get some reflected light onto the sides of the plant. Every couple of days or once a week, rotate the plant so the other sides get some of the bonus light. That is if you had one plant.

Since you have more than one you will have to keep rotating plants so that they all get some of the reflected light.

Back
Top Bottom