How I learned to roll

art fog

My friends father worked for the state and would have a box of these little bags of tobacco around the house. It was also known as 'state tobacco'. My friend would bring these free bags of tobacco which we called 'bug dust' out when we were desperate . It came in a little cloth bag w/ a draw string and the papers were somehow attached to the bag. The papers had no glue and if you tilted the bag over the paper the tobacco would easily pour out onto the paper. If you were not use to it the entire contents would pour out. It was the cheapest, driest, loosest, lousiest tasting tobacco but at times that was all a kid could get. To roll it was a acquired trick and there were those who could roll it w/ one hand riding a horse. Not me. You would put a pile of tobacco in the middle of the paper and roll it pushing down from the middle out to the sides. It didn't seem like it would roll out right but if you stuck to this plan it worked the only way it could. The paper if moisten just enough & not too much would hold for the entire smoke. The taste was terrible, unlike a cigarette but you did get the nicotine.
This is the way I learned to roll.
:blunt:

When I smoked tobacco in the 50's, I rolled Bull Durham and Golden Grain from those little bags.
Bull Durham cost a nickle a bag and Golden Grain was six cents but it was a bigger bag.

In the 60's I graduated to Bugler and Top which was a much better smoke and easier to roll.

When I took up smoking weed, my rolling skills served me well.

In my younger days it would almost be a competition between friends who could skin up best, so I think we all became pretty good at it. Then after breaking my right hand while working as a bouncer in later life I've used a rolling mat for ease ever since.

Yes, there were more people rolling then. More non filters too.
Does anyone remember when Lucky Strike and maybe Camel put 2 cents in the sleeve? They cost about 25 cents. Bull Durham was big for a while but just before my time. Mentioned are two old friends I smoked Bugler and Top. We used that rolling contraption which worked pretty good. It had that brown cloth attached to a arm. Also later there was a new brand w/ its own rolling contraption called Laredo (if I spelled it correct). Also came w/ filters. In college we rolled Drum much smoother to hand roll and the tobacco was pretty rich. I tripping on all this memory w/ the things you guys mentioned.

Does anyone remember when Lucky Strike and maybe Camel put 2 cents in the sleeve?

Yes, I remember that.

My mother would give me two dimes to put into the cigarette machine to get her Lucky's which cost 18 cents a pack.

I always got to keep the two pennies change that was under the cellophane wrapper.

18 cents, amazing. Do you remember when they came out w/ menthol? They were thought of as healthier in some ways of course they were probably worse.
It seems so long ago before cell phones, computers, We still had milk men delivering 12 half gallons 2-3 times a week. Everybody smoked even the milk man would stop for a minute and have a 'fag'. Everybody was listening to the a.m. radio when the ball game was going. Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, Yankees, etc. You could walk down the street at night and every-stoop front porch & alley you could hear the game even if you walked a mile you would not miss a play. Everyone smoked except us minors had to sneak into the alley....

i rember in in my younger days we would get our score and sit down with papers, and just roll until it was perfect, kinda was like a competive thing. eventually i got down to rolling machine perfect. how i do it is -fold paper to desire length, fold on end of paper(keeping it toghter)- make a pocket - add whatever - roll.

some of the best rolls i have friends that can do, is fold paper- add the cuffs on end -put in whatever, and slap the hands togehter in a sliding motion, it will be rolled?? lol. good luck on this party favor.

know a one armed guy that can roll one yup great with just his fingers. idk how tho sorry.

keep on toking stonners.:tokin:

I pulled in some of my comments just made on another fourm. they fit the nostalgie here... :peace:
There were many interesting things going on w/ marijuana especially in the late 60's early 70's. I remember the song Mellow Yellow by Donavon at that time hippies were being harassed and busted everywhere most often over the issues of pot. I should mention that the British answer to Bob Dylan said that his song had nothing to do w/ the banana thing. A clever thing that came about was taking the inside of banana peals roasting them until they were browned, dryed, powdered and then smoked. There were hippies carrying this stuff in little jars around their necks. The high was supposed to be comparable to marijuana. The narcs could do nothing. Of course this stuff would only make you cough but it upset the establishment confronting them w/ the big problem whether to ban bananas. They called it 'mellow yellow'.

I picked up a rubber ducky at the state fair and won a rolling machine complete with papers and instructions. I'm sure glad the church took all us kids to the fair that day.

I started by rolling Top and Bugler. I could roll, but nothing to write home about. When I started growing I had quit smoking cigs years before, so I bough a pack of Zig-Zags and a bag of Top. I would roll it all up, then break them open, toss the papers and re-roll the tobacco without smoking any. I repeated this until I could roll well enough to be satisfied. I also found that a grinder ensures a smooth even smoke.

:peace:

I pulled in some of my comments just made on another fourm. they fit the nostalgie here... :peace:
There were many interesting things going on w/ marijuana especially in the late 60's early 70's. I remember the song Mellow Yellow by Donavon at that time hippies were being harassed and busted everywhere most often over the issues of pot. I should mention that the British answer to Bob Dylan said that his song had nothing to do w/ the banana thing. A clever thing that came about was taking the inside of banana peals roasting them until they were browned, dryed, powdered and then smoked. There were hippies carrying this stuff in little jars around their necks. The high was supposed to be comparable to marijuana. The narcs could do nothing. Of course this stuff would only make you cough but it upset the establishment confronting them w/ the big problem whether to ban bananas. They called it 'mellow yellow'.

This is a great story.....:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom