How I perform low stress training on my plants: Lots of pics!

If they where autos then they would most likely be in flower now. But I have photoperiod. I just have to wait some more for the tops to grow so I can pull it down to the edge.
But I see now the issues people have trying to get that top down low. How the heck do you do this on autos? Mine always started to flower by 30 days. Rethinking this. Just may do topping next time. Can I still top them being bent over?

@InTheShed so do you ever have to do any defoliation or just let it run wild? My girl has some big broad fan leaves and she is staying shirt at the moment. So I feel as though the auxiliary shoots are not getting enough light. your thoughts would be appreciated.
:thanks:

@InTheShed so do you ever have to do any defoliation or just let it run wild? My girl has some big broad fan leaves and she is staying shirt at the moment. So I feel as though the auxiliary shoots are not getting enough light. your thoughts would be appreciated.
:thanks:
For next time I'd let it get taller before you lay it out, as when you start below the level of the pot it's impossible to get the main stem lower than the bottom growth (without putting the leaves in the dirt).

I don't see any leaves covering the lowers but you can always tie big leaves out of the way as well at this stage. It doesn't have enough green at this point that I would want to remove anything. Let it grow out for a while and see how it goes. It's a photo so you can let it go as long as you want before you flip it...plenty of time.

Thank you. :hug: I’m surprised it took me this long to follow that enticing link, and glad I am I did. I’ve been lazy with my DDAs, letting myself be happy with 2 + oz per. Suddenly I’m not so content. :laughtwo:

You have a way of explaining it that brought it home to me. artekay started that process a couple years back. It appears you’re the one to actually get me to apply the techniques.

Incidentally, you should check out his second journal. He had a great technique for getting that spread and controlling the structure of the lower regions that was amazing.

I only read your first post. No time to do much else today. I’ll try to get to the rest of the discussion later. Too bad they don’t have WiFi at 30,000 feet. That’d give me something to read on the flight. Maybe I’ll screenshot it.

See you Sunday. :ciao:

Again, thanks. :hug:

@InTheShed I think I went over board on defoliation... your opinion? Also add more tie downs I think I got it right.

Attachments

• 20190409_202851.jpg
    20190409_202851.jpg
    842.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 20190409_202844.jpg
    20190409_202844.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 20190409_202836.jpg
    20190409_202836.jpg
    950.3 KB · Views: 159
@InTheShed I think I went over board on defoliation... your opinion? Also add more tie downs I think I got it right.
Depends on what you're going for on the defoliation. If you want your plant to replace all the removed leaves by growing them at the ends of the stems, then you did fine!

In terms of tying down the branches, as long as your mains are lower than the lower/inner growth, the hormones will go to where you want them.

It's hard to tell in the pics but I think you topped too low, as your mains seem to be practically sitting on the soil in two of those pics. That makes it tough to get them lower than the middle as you have no downward room. If you want to top and train, top at a node higher than the edge of the pot. That will leave you room to work with.

It's hard to tell in the pics but I think you topped too low, as your mains seem to be practically sitting on the soil in two of those pics.

I'm sure my photos leave a lot to be desired, but no I actually did not top any of them. I have a feeling that its turning in to a messed up nebula sytle if that makes any sense. The top is bent to one side while the lowers are bent away from it to give room. Also I took off a lot of growth down by the soil pretty much lollipop style if I'm right.

I'm sure my photos leave a lot to be desired, but no I actually did not top any of them. I have a feeling that its turning in to a messed up nebula sytle if that makes any sense. The top is bent to one side while the lowers are bent away from it to give room. Also I took off a lot of growth down by the soil pretty much lollipop style if I'm right.
Oh, then I really can't tell what's what in the pics! Keep in mind that defoliation/stripping/lollipopping plants are definitely not low stress training methods :). The bending part looks good though as you described it.

What's the end goal in terms of shape?

Highlighted the mains. I've never tried lollipop before so wanted to see if it does help out to not have then grow larf under the canopy. And since I messed up on soil level it's hard to not be below the rim of the pot I'll have to remember to pre soak or just add a lot more soil next time.

Attachments

• 20190410_142328.jpg
    20190410_142328.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190410_142431.jpg
    20190410_142431.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190410_142358.jpg
    20190410_142358.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 137
Highlighted the mains. I've never tried lollipop before so wanted to see if it does help out to not have then grow larf under the canopy. And since I messed up on soil level it's hard to not be below the rim of the pot I'll have to remember to pre soak or just add a lot more soil next time.
Thanks for the lines, that makes it much clearer! The training looks great as those lowers will certainly produce much bigger colas than if you let the top grow up. I don't think you need to change how you fill the pot, I just think you should let the plant get about 4" taller before you bend next time. With a photo there's no rush to bend it since you can veg as long as you like.

I agree on the larf generally, but when training a plant flat you may find that what you think will be larf can produce nice solid buds. I waited until this was further into flower before deciding what to take off:
full

Don't be to quick to thin at your plants' stage. Give it a chance to show off!

Back
Top Bottom