How important is dark cycle during veg?

PacificNorthWest

I recently switched from 24/0 to 18/6 for power consumption reasons.

My question is: will the vegging plants in the basement be bothered by 60 watt incandescence / floro light bulbs during their dark cycle?

Veg plants are in the open basement where the "basement house lights" get turned off an on numerous times a day for doing laundry and thing (The dark cycle right now for vegging girls is 9am - 3pm to keep temps in cheque). They are under two Mars Hydro TS 1000's from 3pm - 9am...then get subjected to very low light levels from tiny windows and house lights...

Any input from you guys on this matter?

Is it really a problem?

no, its not much of a problem, especially in veg. The inverse square law informs that with the distance those lights are from the grow, very little light actually hits the plants. Then the lights are only coming on for a little while and going off again, and without being on for an hour or so, the plants just dont have time to change over to a daytime mode while that puny little light way across the room is on. So on and off is not going to be a problem... but it is imperative that you make sure that the lights don't remain on during their night period for more than an hour or so. Especially during bloom, this little light leak on a regular basis could confuse the plant. On the other hand, I have seen basement LED grows with no barriers between veg and bloom at different ends of the room, and they didnt seem to bother each other.

I had a crazy light schedule during my veg. Didn’t seem to effect my plants at all, I think it’s fine until you switch to flower, that’s when the dark period should be taken seriously

Back
Top Bottom