How long will concentrated kelp last in the refrigerator?

pointer80

Hello all, I mixed up some kelp meal and water and pureed it and have it in a jar in the refrigerator and was wondering how long it will last? Thank you

I’m not familiar with kelp meal but assuming it’s anything like fresh kelp- you’ll sure as hell know when it starts to go off. I’ve never stored kelp in the fridge, but the climate is naturally chilly here and when I spread it on my outside gardens it’s generally turned to sludge within a week.

Yes this ^^^

I do kelp meal ground fine and re-hydrated then into the fridge. Let settle and use the liquid mix with water 10:1 at least and foiler on.

The mix usually lasts at least a month in the fridge. Smell test is the way to go. If it smells like poop - its poop. Put it on the base of your outdoor plants, they will love you and mix a new batch.

Yes this ^^^

I do kelp meal ground fine and re-hydrated then into the fridge. Let settle and use the liquid mix with water 10:1 at least and foiler on.

The mix usually lasts at least a month in the fridge. Smell test is the way to go. If it smells like poop - its poop. Put it on the base of your outdoor plants, they will love you and mix a new batch.

Yes this ^^^

Thank you, It still smells fishy to me, I like the idea of putting on my plants. I thought zbout putting in my worm bins if it goes bad also.

I use it up before it goes bad. Its easy enough to make for sure and not worth saving really. I can make a new batch over night.

I put the ground up kelp meal in the compost and/or spoon a few tbs into my pots and water in.
Can even mix in a cup of EWC add more water, shake up and water in.

Use that mix on a plant that is in need of some nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom