How many autos, 3Gal, in 39"x39" tent?

I have a 39" x 39" tent. My intention was to grow four or five autoflowering plants in three-gallon grow bags of Fox Farm Happy Frog and perlite mix, plus some additional autoflowering plants in two-liter bottles of perlite (hempy / passive hydroponics). I had a little trouble getting the bag of Happy Frog, and when I did get it, it turned out to have been completely waterlogged - at which point it froze solid. Try carting that around when you're ill:eek:.

But then I realized that I hadn't stopped to think about the size of the plants :rolleyes: . I'm doing so now - and I'm growing a little bit concerned. I'd like to fill the tent, but only just (of course). I was assuming that four or even five autos, grown in three-gallon containers of soil, wouldn't completely fill the area of the tent... but I really have no idea. So assuming, I felt that there would be gaps in the canopy - but small ones, that could be better filled by smaller plants, lol.

Light will be provided by two Mars-Hydro SP-150 LEDs, found here:

A pair of these lights are supposed to be fine for a 3'x3' area. Ironically, the company doesn't sell a 3'x3' tent; their closest size is 39"x39" (1.5625 ft.² larger). I may or may not need to add some additional lighting in the future. I'm hoping for "not," ;) .

Here is what I'll be growing in the three-gallon grow bags, assuming everything germinates/sprouts:
Critical XXL Auto (Garden of Green Seeds)
Auto Northern HOG (TH Seeds)
White Widow Auto (Crop King Seeds)
Dark Devil Auto (selfed Sweet Seeds DDA, by @Rifleman )
SSDC (DDA cross produced by @Rifleman )

I have additional DDA, SSDC, and a few "misc. / unknown autos" that I can germinate for the two-liter bottle hempies, if anyone thinks I might need have room for more plants than those listed above. I'd like to germinate all the seeds for this grow at one time...

Therefore, I'm asking for guesses here - what would you do? Plant the first five? The first four? Those, plus {???} additional seeds for the small containers? Something else entirely?

This is actually round two, in terms of attempted germination; I stuck a batch in water, in my oven for warmth - and then promptly forgot all about them. Which has allowed for some additional variety, at least, because the Critical XXL Auto and Auto Northern Hog weren't included at that time (thankfully, since it means that I still have them ;) ).

In my limited soil experience, and considerable DDA/SSDC growing, I would feel fine sticking nine 3 gal fabric bags in my 4x4. Then running some 2L on the side. :thedoubletake:

Cool, nine three-gallon bags in that tent is ~1.77 square feet per. The area of my tent is 10.5625 square feet, so... ~5.94 three-gallon bags in mine :p.

I like to fight my plants to zip the tent closed. :laughtwo:

I've been known to have plants fight the closing of the door, the lights, and me due to me misjudging growth rates and lighting prowess. Wasn't really fun.

Nice - I just saw this:

That could give me an extra(?) light option - but still be all brand new Mars-Hydro LED lighting. Could come in handy if it looks like I could use a little more light to flower these autos, would definitely help with flowering the next batch (photoperiodic), and could get used if I end up needing to start some potential photo clone donors before space opens in the tent.

But that's counting unhatched chickens, lol. I could certainly find a use for another light if I win, though. . . .

I can fit (16) 3 gallon pots on 24 cm saucers into a 100cm x 100cm x 200cm tent.
or
(9) 5 gallon pots on 30cm saucers
or
(5) 10-15 Gallon Pots on 40cm - 45cm saucers(for photos, not autos. Would be overkill for indoor autos)

Not a lot of elbow room when packed that tight but its doable.

If you want the plants to have lots of room then I'd say (9) 3 gallon, (5) 5 gallon & (3) 10-15 Gallon

Right now I have (9) plants close to harvest, and (5) plants that just entered vegetative in the tent. I used the smaller plants as spacers between the larger ones. Just need to make sure the little guys get their cylinder of light until the flowering plants get the chop.
IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG

I'm going to try to rotate the plants regularly; I'm looking to equalize the yield across the entire space, so as to get a picture of the performance of the light setup (2x SP150) that allows for a weak plant and an imperfect footprint match. If I was growing all photoperiodic clones from the same mother this time, I'd leave them in position (possibly rotating them, though) because I would have a reasonable expectation that each plant would perform the same unless the amount of light-energy that was hitting it was different than the level that the other clones were receiving. Maybe one high-density clone grow to gauge the general footprint, then a second clone grow with less plants but a bit of a vegetative growth period to encourage some extra vertical growth before flowering to test the lights' ability to penetrate a thicker canopy. But it just worked out that I'm growing autoflowers this time, and my experience with them is still limited (and I wanted some variety this time ;) ).

Find it and copy the exact spelling/punctuation/capitalization, I guess. If he used a space then it might get complicated, IDK. Hmm... I just closed a tab that he'd posted in. Ah - he used a space. I'll try it.
@Blew Hiller . Seems to have worked. I capitalized the B and typed slowly enough for the forum software to offer it as a suggestion by the time I had typed the e, then left-clicked on it with my mouse cursor.

By the way, thanks for the responses, folks! More are always welcome. . . .

Back
Top Bottom