How many CFLs do I need?

Believe me, it's really not that bright to the plants.

I'd say both from the start, but that week or two with just the veg switch should provide more blue. That's good initially for things like node spacing, etc. With autos their veg cycle is short, so waiting no more than 2 weeks before adding the other switch (yes, run both at the same time from then on out) should be just right for spectrum.

I highly recommend the thread on the life cycle of an auto. It's an excellent read.

how far should i hang the light from the seedlings?

perfectly fine to leave young girlz under CFL's...I routinely leave mine under T5's/cfl's for a month or more, albeit more wattage than you're using...if you're going to use your new light for your seedlings, check the manufacturer's recommendations...I would say 30 inches or so...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:

perfectly fine to leave young girlz under CFL's...I routinely leave mine under T5's/cfl's for a month or more, albeit more wattage than you're using...if you're going to use your new light for your seedlings, check the manufacturer's recommendations...I would say 30 inches or so...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:
it says 60-90cm, but i guess that's different for every plant isn't it?

i'm currently running 2 20w leds (one of those leds is around the power of a 40w clf) one is warm light one is cold.

how high should i keep leds? i keep them kinda close rn (15cm ish) (i'm talking about the 20w ones)

for young plants...5000-6500 K is preferable...led/cfl bulbs can be as close as 3 inches...cfl's tend to be a bit hotter, so use your hand as a quide to light temps...some plants may be more susceptible to light intensity, so you can always start high and adjust accordingly...I think splitting the difference on that light you purchased would be a safe bet...75 cm.'s= 29.5 inches... ;) ...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

for young plants...5000-6500 K is preferable...led/cfl bulbs can be as close as 3 inches...cfl's tend to be a bit hotter, so use your hand as a quide to light temps...some plants may be more susceptible to light intensity, so you can always start high and adjust accordingly...I think splitting the difference on that light you purchased would be a safe bet...75 cm.'s= 29.5 inches... ;) ...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...
yeah i know cold is preferable, but i read that you should also put a warm one for better spectrum, is that true? 3 inches? wow, i had someone telling me that i could burn them.
the lights run super cold, they are barely warm.

so do you think i should switch the warm one with a cold one, and should i add more or is 2 enough?

...I started out growing exclusively with T5's and CFL's for the whole grow (cause everything was free... :rofl: ) with moderate success...6 T'5s and 20 CFL's of varying wattage(mostly 23W)...I would just use cool lights during veg and mix it up about 50/50 when I was ready to flip...if you put your hand by your plants and feel heat, you can back them off a bit...once the plant has a few nodes, I wouldn't be as concerned with the distance...I keep them as close as I can to start to minimize stretching...personally...I would go with at least 2 per plant, or a double T5 or T8 fixture, what ever is easier for you...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

...a shot of the good ole' days...;):rofl:...

...i did add some free 70 watt HPS wall packs tho'...not sure how much they helped...

...I started out growing exclusively with T5's and CFL's for the whole grow (cause everything was free... :rofl: ) with moderate success...6 T'5s and 20 CFL's of varying wattage(mostly 23W)...I would just use cool lights during veg and mix it up about 50/50 when I was ready to flip...if you put your hand by your plants and feel heat, you can back them off a bit...once the plant has a few nodes, I wouldn't be as concerned with the distance...I keep them as close as I can to start to minimize stretching...personally...I would go with at least 2 per plant, or a double T5 or T8 fixture, what ever is easier for you...cheerz...:high-five:...h00k...:hookah:...

...a shot of the good ole' days...;):rofl:...

...i did add some free 70 watt HPS wall packs tho'...not sure how much they helped...
i put them about 15cm away rn, i don't feel really strong heat. also they are in the garage and it's kinda cold there rn. round 20 C what do you think?

are your lights running 24/7?...does it drop any lower?...that's a little low for young girls...if they are gonna' be in there for any length of time, I would try and fab something up with cardboard or whatever to contain the heat from the lights...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...

are your lights running 24/7?...does it drop any lower?...that's a little low for young girls...if they are gonna' be in there for any length of time, I would try and fab something up with cardboard or whatever to contain the heat from the lights...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...
yep. 24/7 i can rise them up, but they don't seem to run hot....

...I was meaning to box in the area, and use the lights to bump up the temp a bit...into the mid 70's would be better,,,cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...
ohhh, sorry, i didn't get ya, prob won't drop any lower. i run the lights 24/7 so it should be good. they are probably around 25C. i'll test Tomorrow. it won't get much colder, even if the temperature outside drops to 0, i made a thicc layer of "stuff" (sorry, idk the english name :D) on the door so the cold from outside doesn't get in the house

Back
Top Bottom