How many lights do I need for 8x8 grow tent?

MARVID

Hello, everyone.

To being with I would like to say this forum looks amazing, and I bet I could learn a lot. And I can surely use a lot of help. Let me tell you a little about myself. I been smoking cannabis for a couple of years. I basically got tired of buying and I am ready to start growing, or at least try. Especially since I am moving and I won't know anyone. So it is time to grow. I been planing this for about two years. And I managed to save $10,000 so my budget should be more then enough. I am a noob when it comes to growing. I basically don't know anything expect that I want to use LED's and have a 8x8 tent. I am aware that I have a long way to go and a lot to learn but I have to start somewhere. Anyways time for business.

The two tents I have been eye balling and want to use which I also been looking at for the past month are the GGT LITE LINE – 8′ X 8′ X 6’7″ or GROW TENT – 8′ X 8′ X 6′ 11″. I am just not sure if it is worth the extra $400. So some insight on this would be great.

The lights I would like to use are KINDLED Grow Lights, problem is I don't know which ones to use nor how many. If you guys could help me out I would highly highly appreciate it.

As for ventilation I also need help but I am not sure. Where to post it. If you can link me to the forum I would also appreciate that but first baby steps.

Happy smoking everyone! :thanks:

8x8 is 64sf
So for veg 1450 watts so 1000 true watts would do awesome
For flower 2240 watts so 1790 true watts would do awesome
I got 1500 watts from the wall in a 10x5 witch will have huge yield.

Forgot to add,for the tent the taller the better. With the power you are going to need you will want room to move lights high

In a 8x8 tent you should be able to get multiple pounds per run. If you are going to be moving to where you don't know any one, why so much? You are beginning, I would slow down just a little. I am NOT trying to burst your bubble. But lot's of people spend a lot on equipment and find it's just not for them. If it were me, I would get a much smaller (4x4) tent and start learning. You can always use the tent later for clones if you need to ramp up your grow. If done right you should be able to get ~1/2 LB no problem per run, more with experience, just about enough for me and the missus. Good luck and welcome, lot's of good folks here.

Let me start off by agreeing with MacEFL. You may want to start off with a smaller grow. There is a very high likelihood that you will kill you first grow or two and have greatly reduced yield and quality for the first 3 to 5 grows. With experience comes much better results. The larger you investment, the costlier the mistakes.

As for the lighting, I highly suggest that you read over the link in my signature/the sticky at the top of this forum. There is a lot of useful information about plant lighting, how much you need, what types you need, and coverage. For an 8x8 tent you will want at least 2800 watts of actual draw for flowering and 1900 watts for veg. These are the bare minimums of lighting needed for proper results. If you are stuck on the Apollo style lights, go to Cidly LED and save yourself hundreds if not thousands of dollars. They are the exact same lights.

As for air circulation you want to exchange the air at least 5 times per min without the use of CO2. So you would want about 450 CFM fan system flowing through your carbon filter.

8x8 is 64sf
So for veg 1450 watts so 1000 true watts would do awesome
For flower 2240 watts so 1790 true watts would do awesome
I got 1500 watts from the wall in a 10x5 witch will have huge yield.

Can't I use the same lights for vegetative growth as flowering?

In a 8x8 tent you should be able to get multiple pounds per run. If you are going to be moving to where you don't know any one, why so much? You are beginning, I would slow down just a little. I am NOT trying to burst your bubble. But lot's of people spend a lot on equipment and find it's just not for them. If it were me, I would get a much smaller (4x4) tent and start learning. You can always use the tent later for clones if you need to ramp up your grow. If done right you should be able to get ~1/2 LB no problem per run, more with experience, just about enough for me and the missus. Good luck and welcome, lot's of good folks here.

Well, I would like to start of the bat even if I don't use the whole space, I kinda want it to be a 1 time investment when it comes to my lights and tent etc. Even if I fail my first grow it is something I plan on keeping at it until I succeed. Thank you tho.

8x8? how about 4 of these?

I never heard of them. First glance they look like cheap made Chinese lights. You would recommend them?

Guys, I was looking a brands of LED's yesterday and I ran into a brand that caught my eye.

APOLLO 240X3W FULL SPECTRUM

Will 4 of this be sufficient for an 8x8 tent.

Keep in mind guys I just want one tent. And use the same lights for the plants whole life cycle from germination to harvest. Is this not possible to do with the same lights?

All Apollo series lights are cheap Chinese made lights... as a matter of fact there are only about 4 panels made anywhere else in the world. There are plenty of reviews and grow journals on this site and others using TopLED lights. I even own 2 of them.

Hello, Hosebomber.

Which lights would you use if you where building this tent for yourself?

Personally I would build my own lights, but that's what I do... If I was on a budget, I would go with TopLED. If I had tons of money to burn it would most likely be intelligentGrow lights. However, I would make my own so :/

I am currently testing out a Topled panel and one I had custom made for me by them. I'll have those results in about 3 months.

Personally I would build my own lights, but that's what I do... If I was on a budget, I would go with TopLED. If I had tons of money to burn it would most likely be intelligentGrow lights. However, I would make my own so :/

I am currently testing out a Topled panel and one I had custom made for me by them. I'll have those results in about 3 months.

Well I have 10,000 to spend though I dont want a veg tent and a flower tent i want to use the same lights for the entire grow who I am not sure is this is possible but I bet it is. Though building my own lights sounds kinda cool are there any tutorials on this?

Looking forward to your results.

I don't see why I should spend around double the price if top LED's will work just as fine.

Now my question what would be the difference between

Reflector led grow light

and

Mars II 900w

Not necessarily those two lights but more like the difference between the two series of lights I see Mars II is more expensive. But aside from you choosing the light spektrum i dont see a difference and since I want to have both veg and flower under the same lights I guess mars II standard would equal to a full light spectrum or am I wrong? So some insight between Mars II series and Reflector LED Grow Light series difference would be extremely helpful.

So guys, I got in contact with TOPLED and basically asked the difference here is what they answered.

Similarity and difference of Mars II and Reflector

Similarity:
A: The spectrum ratio of them is the same.
B: Both are using Epistar LED chip.

Difference:
A. Mars II uses 5 Watt-single Epistar chip. While Reflector uses 3 Watt-single Epistar chip.
B. Mars II is non-dimmable and non-switchable. Reflector is switchable but not dimmable.
C. Difference in design. Reflector series takes reflector to protect LED which does not use glass, with which can make the light has higher lumens output, we say it is 100% output. While Mars II series uses glass to protect LED. It will weaken the light by about 10%.

My question for you guys as growers what would you personally use Mars II or Reflector Series.

2 or 3 opinions from different growers would be amazing.

Thank you all for all your help so far!

I don't see why I should spend around double the price if top LED's will work just as fine.

Now my question what would be the difference between

Reflector led grow light

and

Mars II 900w

Not necessarily those two lights but more like the difference between the two series of lights I see Mars II is more expensive. But aside from you choosing the light spektrum i dont see a difference and since I want to have both veg and flower under the same lights I guess mars II standard would equal to a full light spectrum or am I wrong? So some insight between Mars II series and Reflector LED Grow Light series difference would be extremely helpful.

Basically, the Reflector series uses 3 watt diodes and the Mars II uses 5 watt diodes. In addition, the Mars II come with 3 options: Standard spectrum, Veg Spectrum, and Bloom Spectrum. (veg and bloom options are extra $$$) As opposed to the Reflector series which has two switches Growth (Veg) and Bloom. So the reflector uses about half power when vegging and then you turn on the bloom switch when you're ready and you get full power and lots of extra red to promote flowering.

FWIW, I just took delivery of 3 of the 192x3 watt reflectors and they are very impressive for the price.

Hope that helps!
:Namaste:
-Monkey

I am growing with both. for one light I am liking the mars 1600 and it now has the same veg and bloom boost as the reflector series. for covering a big area i like the 144x3 witch two of them grew a pound off of one plant. now running all three on one plant.

Wouldn't it be better for the plants to use the reflector series instead of Mars II as Mars II would be running full spectrum all the time when it is on? Unlike the reflector series. That has the switches for veg and flower. Or it really doesn't matter? If your plant is running under full spectrum every time it is on?

Ok break down on lights. Reflector light are full spectrum all the time. Reflector lights have a bloom boost switch witch adds extra red spectrum but still full spectrum. The Mars 1600 is the only Mars that does that as well. the reflector and mars 1600 lights can save you money by only running about 3/4 power in veg mode only. Now down side to reflector lights only is they tend to be low in power so if you have big foot print you will need more then one light. Good side is save money in veg mode. Low heat and the kick ass when you have enough for your footprint.
Now on to Mars. Mars are high power lights. They have four different kinds not counting 1600. Veg only,flower only,Full spectrum and can be special ordered. The 1600 is full with red boost option. Down side is a lot of power so make sure you can raise 24" + inch above plant. Also power = heat so make sure you have cool air coming in. They kick ass for lots of power when running one light and most of the time no need to run two to get watts in foot print.
Now If you ask me witch one I like the most. I can not tell you yet for the main reason I have not done a full grow with the Mars 1600 yet. I am still in veg so I will not say they are the best not knowing how it does on growing colas. Now so far veg it kicks ass. You can see my journal and see the growth in the scrog. Now I am putting three 144x3 reflectors up against one Mars1600. Both have a 5x5' space. I hope some of this info helps. Sorry about long post in your thread. Keep it growing green my friends

Ok break down on lights. Reflector light are full spectrum all the time. Reflector lights have a bloom boost switch witch adds extra red spectrum but still full spectrum. The Mars 1600 is the only Mars that does that as well. the reflector and mars 1600 lights can save you money by only running about 3/4 power in veg mode only. Now down side to reflector lights only is they tend to be low in power so if you have big foot print you will need more then one light. Good side is save money in veg mode. Low heat and the kick ass when you have enough for your footprint.
Now on to Mars. Mars are high power lights. They have four different kinds not counting 1600. Veg only,flower only,Full spectrum and can be special ordered. The 1600 is full with red boost option. Down side is a lot of power so make sure you can raise 24" + inch above plant. Also power = heat so make sure you have cool air coming in. They kick ass for lots of power when running one light and most of the time no need to run two to get watts in foot print.
Now If you ask me witch one I like the most. I can not tell you yet for the main reason I have not done a full grow with the Mars 1600 yet. I am still in veg so I will not say they are the best not knowing how it does on growing colas. Now so far veg it kicks ass. You can see my journal and see the growth in the scrog. Now I am putting three 144x3 reflectors up against one Mars1600. Both have a 5x5' space. I hope some of this info helps. Sorry about long post in your thread. Keep it growing green my friends

Thank you for that wonderful explanation.

So I assume best choice would be four Reflector LED Grow Light 192x3w for an 8x8 tent.

Back
Top Bottom