How much did you pay for lights?

Hashashin200

I wanted to stick with CFLs so I can keep my budget for lights around 50 dollars. So far in my cart I have 18x23w bulbs for $40 and for all the sockets and wires its about 75-80 without shipping and that gives me 414w. I really want to keep around 300-400 watts so I can get a decent yield since I have to wait a few months.

I found a 400 watt HID for 110 dollars and that would double my yield from CFLs and I wouldn't have to constantly move them around. On top of that I found a 4x4 ft t5 light that only runs 200 watts but has 20,000 lumens. I heard that sunlight is 10,000 lumens, does that mean it would be twice as good as outdoor? Whats more important for growing, watts or lumens?

So it looks like I'm stuck at spending 100 dollars, but i hear about people buying used hps lights for $50 or getting tons of CFLs for $20-30. Can anyone help me out?

Sounds like you need a sun systems lec 315.
A little pricey but lamp change out is a couple years and these lights will grow some plants.
What's important is ppfd.
The light I mentioned above has a ppfd rating of 1.95 micromole/s which is right up there with DE hps.

I'd go for the hid light. A very easy choice for 110 dollars.

That is until the ballast fails and you find yourself making a new thread that starts with "HELP..."
Quality of light really can't be seen by the human eye.
I always recommend to not skimp on the light.

Yeah yeah... Lol.
I wish I'd found a 100 dollar hid to get started with though.
I mostly meant - given the choice between a pile of cfls and an hid- I'd choose the hid. That's what the Op was considering in the thread. I wasn't talking about whatever system you mentioned. Of course there are endless upgrades. Out of the two choices given, an hid should get you up and growing in a way the cfls won't. And you can learn and go from there.

If you're going that route-post the info on the ballast for us, or read the reviews, before buying. No reason the ballast should be failing on you anytime soon. I've got a bunch that are ancient, and I've long since upgraded to digital ballasts- but the old retired ones work perfectly- even though they look scary as hell.

Back
Top Bottom