How much NPK is too much?

Phillybonker

I think I may have perhaps over done it with the NPK's.

Grow information:

Growing outdoors in the ground, not in a pot.

Plants six weeks old.

Ingredients added:

* Blood & Bone 10 - 4 - 0.2

* Guano liquid 10 - 10 - 2

*90L of compost for each plant (contains small amount of chicken manure and blood & bone) NPK unknown by producer.

* Soil not that great so probably only trace amounts of NPK already in the soil.

I added blood & bone 8 weeks ago, this is their second scheduled feed but this time I include guano liquid. What do you guys think, am I screwed?

At this point you’ve put so much into the soil the only way to know is to put plants in it and see what happens. I followed your other post on the same subject.
I've only done it to two plants (given them 90 litres of compost each, blood & bone and guano liquid (80% seabird guano/ 20% bat guano), plus seaweed liquid. The other plants I have are in 60 litres of compost each with blood & bone, plus seaweed liquid.

I'm due to give them their weekly visit in 2 days time. I'll give an update here.

* Soil not that great so probably only trace amounts of NPK already in the soil.
It is surprising just how well a plant will grow in any soil, even what we think of as a poor soil, without any amending.

I think I may have perhaps over done it with the NPK's.
I've only done it to two plants (given them 90 litres of compost each, blood & bone and guano liquid (80% seabird guano/ 20% bat guano), plus seaweed liquid. The other plants I have are in 60 litres of compost each with blood & bone, plus seaweed liquid.
It is not the N-P-K ratio, it is the amounts of the fertilizer mixtures that get put into the soil that could cause a problem.

Pictures of your plants, and any non-regular-green leafs would help. If not in a container, you probably only killed your wallet a bit.

Pictures of your plants, and any non-regular-green leafs would help. If not in a container, you probably only killed your wallet a bit.
If the plants show any signs of being in trouble I'll definitely post pics. I don't mind killing my wallet, I do mind killing my plants by accident.

Just got back from checking the plants which are doing fine....kind of.

One is booming but the other one is showing signs of stunted growth (it was growing slowly before I added all the ferts). At this point I've got no reason to believe the stunted growth is connected to over feeding. I'll get a better picture on whether the extra NPK has a negative effect or positive effect in a week or two when the ferts really kick in.

Back
Top Bottom