How much of each ingredient should I use in my newly invented super soil mix?

Phillybonker

How much of each ingredient I should use to make up this super soil mix for outdoor growing. Lets say it is for one plant, how much of each ingredient should I use to mix into soil?

Here are the ingredients:

Wormcasting

Sphagnum Peat Moss

Hydroponic clay balls

Blood & Bone

Suflate of Potash

Oyster shells

Rock Dust

Mycorrhizal Fungi

So how much of each ingredient should I use for one plant?

I would stick to a Clackamas Coots soil recipe.

1 Part Oly Mountain Fish Compost

1 Part Sphagnum Peat Moss

2/3 Part Pumice

1/3 Part Rice Hulls

5% Pre-Charged Bio Char

Nutrients included in the soil:

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 cup Per Cubic Foot

Terviva Karanja Cake @ 1/2 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Brix Blend Basalt @ 2 Cups Per Cubic Foot

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Some of the ingredients in Coots I found could be replaced with better ingredients . Gypsum for example takes too long to work it's magic, hydroponic clay balls work better at aeration than pumice, I would have included crustacean meal but I can't get hold of any in my country. Kelp meal I'll add two weeks before the plants go in the ground, the super soil mix will be mixed into the ground two months prior.

Karanja Cake is good, but so is blood & bone + potash.

I'll add Bio Char to the mix.

Some of the ingredients in Coots I found could be replaced with better ingredients . Gypsum for example takes too long to work it's magic, hydroponic clay balls work better at aeration than pumice, I would have included crustacean meal but I can't get hold of any in my country. Kelp meal I'll add two weeks before the plants go in the ground, the super soil mix will be mixed into the ground two months prior.

Karanja Cake is good, but so is blood & bone + potash.

I'll add Bio Char to the mix.
Believe as you wish.
Point is i wouldn't stray too far from the Coots recipe.

Solution grade Gypsum is instantly available and pumice is better than hydroton.
But main thing is the soil be balanced regardless what you replace.

I am trying to figure all of this out also!

I used Baby Bu's Potting Soil as my base(used last season with no added nutes except compost tea), added Down to Earth BioLive 5.4.2 and let it cook a few months to be used in this years grow ( I did add compost tea a few times to get the bacteria count up so things would break down faster). The plant was doing great, got a high blade count on node 9, main stem was looking good as well as petioles etc. Then the fans started dying, at first it just looked like minor N burn so I figured I wouldn't feed it any more tea and just water it BUT it spread and FAST. I thought it was spider mites so I treated for that. Then my dad said test pH and that shiz was at 4.9 o_O How the F it got there is beyond me but I'll probs pH from now on or at least until I have my soil dialed in.

So yeah I guess what I am saying here is a nice soil recipe would be lovely. Something I can just recycle/reuse season to season. Obv I will need to add some nutes and let it cook. Which nutes to add IS the question. So many products and everyone has a different opinion....

Then my dad said test pH and that shiz was at 4.9 o_O How the F it got there is beyond me but I'll probs pH from now on or at least until I have my soil dialed in.
Yeah I read somewhere on a forum a guy said same thing happened to him, that organic fertilizer can really throw the pH off worse than synthetic fertilizers in his experience if you don't get the mix right.

One of the risks of growing organically I suppose. Growing with synthetic fertilizers is more beginner friendly.

Organic is the only way for me!

I figured if I started with what I would say is a decent soil (Baby Bu's) and added what I thought was a good fertiliser I would be okay but it seems my logic was wrong. However, I know certain amendments throw off pH rather quickly. I just don't know which ones go which direction.

I have read Coots general recipe on BAS and if I do build one I would use that and probs go for his mix on that site for amendments just to keep things the same. BUT I get bored so I would eventually add stuff that may mess it up =[

Oh! I forgot to mention that another possibility of why my pH went whack is the fact I used compost tea to jump start the breaking down process and used it in the container during growth. My thought here is that because I didn't let any liquid run off (I caught it all and put it back in the soil) and the heat we've been experiencing lately may have created either an unbalanced micro heard or just killed them off period. I am also using Soil Balance Pro and am wondering if it's high sugar and a little bacteria because of the way it looks but Idk what bacteria looks like so it may just be bacteria granules. The thought here is if it is sugar maybe that and the heat created an unhealthy balance.

@Phillybonker Sorry if you feel like I hijacked your thread! Please let me know and I will stop posting here. I just post my questions, thoughts etc on threads I feel pertain to the topic at hand. No disrespect meant.

Back
Top Bottom