How much space/lighting for 3 short sativas? - Newb needs education to start grow

Re: help, how much space/lighting for 3 short sativas? newb needs education to start

Hot air rises. Put the air-out vent as high in the space as is comfortably possible. The air- in vent put down low. I just have a passive vent at the bottom- meaning, only the vent at the top has a fan. When the fan at the top comes on and pushes hot air out, cold air is automatically sucked in through the bottom vent. I vent the hot air outside, up high, and draw cool air from outside, down low. Depending on your outside world temperatures that may or may not work. Some peoples outside temps get too hot in summer for this to work.

I can even put the hot air out vent directly above the growliht, in the cieling. But i was thinking that it might just end up sucking air only over the light, and not help with the rest of the room...

My main question though, was if i could have the exhaust getting blown into the top of that space of the room on the right(the dark space u see in the photo,
And have the fresh air come in from the bottom of that same room. Or is that room on the right side too small and will i just end up getting the same air back inside the box?
The size of thatt dark space on the side is (2'x2.5'x 5'height).

I wasnt sure if must the exhaust fan will be enough to cause new air to come in through a hole, since im not sure how air tight the room will be. But ill try and see how the temps are

Re: help, how much space/lighting for 3 short sativas? newb needs education to start

Basically - the answer is no. I mean, it really wouldn't be nearly as effective, anyway. You'll need a place to vent the hot air, and a separate place to draw cool air. But you can vent into that little room if you don't mind quite humid air going into your storage. You could draw air from there if it's cool air, but by looking at it I don't think it will be, because it's not insulated and it's going to be heated by the room next door, even if it was cold to begin with, which it probably wasn't.
Probably best to work a bit on sealing up your room. You're probably going to need to anyway for light leaks and maybe smell. And once it's sealed yes you can put the out vent fan above your light. The fan will just suck air from wherever it can which will be your air vent down at the bottom. You can attach ducting to your vents to extend them to where you want, within reason. If outside temps aren't cooler than your room, maybe a basement or air-conditioned area?
Looks like a good space though and I like the stealth sliding door idea. I made a sealed light/smell proof hinged door with 1/2" plywood, a basic wooden frame for rigidity on one side, weather stripping on the part it closes against, and three sliding latches that hold it nice and tightly shut.

ok thnks.
i cant really break the walls to vent/suck air from a different room.
but what i can do is vent out from the top of the grow room, and have the duct go up to the top of the storage room and let the air out up there. ill have the air in vent be at the bottom of the room.

i see ill need to work on getting the room sealed. itll be a trick sealing up especially around the sliding door. im thinking of getting the type of material thats used in door frames, to seal the closing of a door. its kind of a thin black foamy matieral with a sticker on one side. i figure if i put it around the door frame, it should do the job.

how do you completely seal of different cracks where the walls of the room meet? since its osb wood, there are teensy tiny cracks where the two booards meet at the corners. is duck tape good?

you can use almost anything, and may have to use multiple layers. I have found that the foil tape used for duct seams works great for blocking light. The foam weatherstrip comes in all different sizes too and should help with the door. Have fun. It seems like you are like me. Trying to plan, but so excited that you end up doing things on the run. It can get a bit pricey that way but it looks like you are just about there. Growing these plants is more fun than I would've ever expected. Remember to relax, and try to be patient some things just shouldn't be rushed.

Caulking is great for filling cracks less than 1/2"- comes in tubes, applied with a caulking 'gun'. Only use the water based stuff. Also various types of filler can be found at any building supply place. There are lots of other options. Any building supply place can help answer these questions, which every homeowner has to deal with at some point. Duct tape is not so great for some things. It either bakes on forever or comes loose. Makes a mess either way- also not all that light proof.

thnks again for all the great advice.
yay i finally finsihed my room. set up the secret door. put in the vent. put in the HPS.
i turned on the vent and lights and am testing temps now to see how the room does with temps.
im aiming for staying under 80 deg F?

im finally moving my pots under the light to continue germinating there. which reminds me,
my seeds have been germinating for 3 days and havent popped the soil yet... i put them in water on sunday till monday. on monday i transfered them to solo cups in soil. since monday ive been keeping them moist and in light (not always warm though...). is this ok?

and another thing. i wanted to ask you guys if anyone knows about this bulb i got from my friend. i tried looking online but all i found was that its high pressure, but couldnt find any info on the spectrums. should i be using cfl with it to give more spectrums?
heres the model number: SUNMASTER SL.400W.U15.VRD

make sure you're not keeping it too moist being in soil it might take a few more days to show up depending on how deep you planted them

hey everyone!
so today i have 3 little baby plants that broke soil. im so excited. one of them still hasnt shown yet...
so i have everything in my room up and running. ill be starting a grow journal soon. but first i have a few basic questions ill ask here. then ill start the grow journal on a new foot.

-the solo cups are 26" from the 400W hps. is that a good distance? (i cant take a pic of the room including the HPS since i dont have room to get far back enough to see it on the camera.)
should they be closer/further from the HPS?...when to move them closer?

TEMPERATURE.
the temp in my little 2'x3' room is around 90 deg farenheit. Is that OK???

-i added one28W 6500k CFL bulb in the room to help with the veg spectrum.
i put it in between the 4 cups, so that the plants would get light from the sides of the CFL.
IMG_235214.JPG

-its only a few inches from each plant. is that good?
- should i add more CFL's? i just put together a fixture that can hold 4 bulbs. should i use it now, or just stick with only the HPS, or the HPS and just 1 CFL?

-should i be running a humidifier in there to up the humidity level? whats the desired humidity for this stage, and untill when?

and lastly:
should i switch over to the 18/6 light cycle already? the lights have been on pretty much 24/0...

thnks everyone for all your help! when i start the grow journal ill post a link here!

P.S. my eyes get really blacked out after im the grow room, should i be wearing sunglesses when i go in? i dont want to damage my eyes...

P.P.S. should i be going through a TOR when making the growjournal, or is a VPN program enough?

Back
Top Bottom