How much trimming during veg?

d42zero

Hi,

I have three girls that have been trimmed heavily over the past few weeks using the 'manifolding' technique, but now they're done with that phase and it's time to let them grow. You can see their current states here: Jay's First Time: 3x Lemon Skunk In Coco, With 315W LEC In A 1200x1200 Tent

I've topped two of them three times to create 8 mains (first top splits into two, second top into four, third top into eight) and one was only topped twice into 8 mains (once to split into two, then topped to the third node and the second node growth removed leaving four on each side). On top of having an extra week to grow while the others recovered from their third topping, the one that was topped twice is much tidier and more uniform, the others ended up a little bit all over the place.

At the moment they've had all the growth removed up to the second nodes on each main, which is roughly where the stems are allowed to start heading upwards rather than out towards the edges of the pots like they've been going so far.

Anyways the question now is: should I be trimming them back a little bit once a week or so, or should I just let them go and give them only one or two trims over the next month or so of veg? If it's not apparent from my photos I'm a bit of a stickler for keeping things tidy lol so it's kind of hard for me to just let them go wild, but if that's what I've gotta do then so be it.

EDIT: when I say 'trim' I mean taking off some of the older fan leaves and stuff, I assume I don't want to be cutting off any growth tips unless I don't want any buds at that spot right?

Cheers

Here's my only attempt at mainlining. it was super small when i put it into flower. this pic is at 6 weeks ish. it's the one on the right. Blue Rhino.

I liked it because it was very neat and tidy in the tent.
20190423_183730.jpg

Here's my only attempt at mainlining. it was super small when i put it into flower. this pic is at 6 weeks ish. it's the one on the right. Blue Rhino.

Sweet I was going to let them get to about 18" then flip so they'll probably end up about that high, maybe a touch higher.. nice to see how you've trimmed her up :) It looks like you've taken about the first six nodes off each stem, roughly when did you do that?

Sweet I was going to let them get to about 18" then flip so they'll probably end up about that high, maybe a touch higher.. nice to see how you've trimmed her up :) It looks like you've taken about the first six nodes off each stem, roughly when did you do that?

i did it right before i flipped to 12 12. was hoping to tame the stretch a bit with some pruning. I'm not sure if it worked lol.

i did it right before i flipped to 12 12. was hoping to tame the stretch a bit with some pruning. I'm not sure if it worked lol.

Cool, thanks for the info. At the moment mine are cut to the 2nd nodes on each main but I'm not sure if l should go a bit higher or not.. for now they're growing at a great speed so I'll just let them go for a few weeks and see what happens :D

Cool, thanks for the info. At the moment mine are cut to the 2nd nodes on each main but I'm not sure if l should go a bit higher or not.. for now they're growing at a great speed so I'll just let them go for a few weeks and see what happens :D

I wanted to get 8 tops by topping 3 times all together. I did get 8 tops but a couple didn't really want to do well so i cut em off and ended up with 5 nice big colas. next time i try it i think I'll go for 6 tops.

I wanted to get 8 tops by topping 3 times all together. I did get 8 tops but a couple didn't really want to do well so i cut em off and ended up with 5 nice big colas. next time i try it i think I'll go for 6 tops.

Have a look at my journal - I topped one plant 2 times for 8 mains, another plant 3 times for 8 mains, and the other 3 times for 8 mains but I lost two to a broken stem so it has 6 remaining. The one I topped 2 times for 8 mains is a week ahead in veg because the others had to recover from a third cutting... it looks way better. It's also heaps more uniform than the other two which ended up growing a bit unevenly..

I'm going to get a good side-by-side of three different methods of manifolding from this one :)

Back
Top Bottom