How much will it cost to run cfl's

AvonBarksdale

Greetings Everyone @ 420

I have been a lurker for awhile and decided to join and become a member. I have found a ton of great information on here and everyone seems to have a great deal of knowledge on a lot of great subjects...

Ok, my question is on electric and cfl's. How much will the electric go up if one was to use lets say 1- 105 watt = 400 watt incandecent and 6 - 2700k 100 watt cfl's and 2 fans that will be running 12/12...

I'm just concerned about spikes in electric bill, and what amount of cfl's will effect the spikes are draw a red flag..

Thanks
JustIn Case

You would need a LOT of cfl's to raise any alarms.

Look at your electric bill and see what you are charged total per KWh.

Add up total wattage of all bulbs in use = TW
Divide TW by 1000 since electricity is charge per KiloWatt = TKW

How many hours per month are the lights on? ex: 18 hours per day x 30 days per month.. = 540 hours

so a 105 watt bulb would cost (based on .25 per KWH)

1 bulb x 105 Watts = 105 watts
105 watts / 1000 = .105 kilowatts

.105 KW x 540 hours = 56.7 KWH kilowatt hours

$0.25 x 56.7 = $14.17 per month. This is based on the imaginary 25 cents per KWH. You need to find out what your elec company charges.

I have used, 30 24watts cfl's along with 4 t4 flo and never even noticed the difference until i left the big screen on all night. Seems to me that depending on how many you have you will never see much of a price jump till after you get over around a 1000 watts worth of out put not to be mistaken with whatis actualy using. example 23watt bulb uses 23Watts but the light puts out double the k and Lumens. Hope this helps.

Check to see if your electric company charges less for off peak hour usage as well...and run your lights throughout the night and turn them off during the days.

You would need a LOT of cfl's to raise any alarms.

Look at your electric bill and see what you are charged total per KWh.

Add up total wattage of all bulbs in use = TW
Divide TW by 1000 since electricity is charge per KiloWatt = TKW

How many hours per month are the lights on? ex: 18 hours per day x 30 days per month.. = 540 hours

so a 105 watt bulb would cost (based on .25 per KWH)

1 bulb x 105 Watts = 105 watts
105 watts / 1000 = .105 kilowatts

.105 KW x 540 hours = 56.7 KWH kilowatt hours

$0.25 x 56.7 = $14.17 per month. This is based on the imaginary 25 cents per KWH. You need to find out what your elec company charges.

:loopy::adore:

Very well put!!!

Yes, both of you have given me so very good info. McBudz thanks for breaking that down for me, that helped me out a lot!!!!!!

Thanks

Sorry, even without that bonus cfls dont raise my bill that much, I am running 520watts of them on 12/12, 2 fans an an A/C unit and my electric bill increased only 10%

Greetings Everyone @ 420

I have been a lurker for awhile and decided to join and become a member. I have found a ton of great information on here and everyone seems to have a great deal of knowledge on a lot of great subjects...

Ok, my question is on electric and cfl's. How much will the electric go up if one was to use lets say 1- 105 watt = 400 watt incandecent and 6 - 2700k 100 watt cfl's and 2 fans that will be running 12/12...

I'm just concerned about spikes in electric bill, and what amount of cfl's will effect the spikes are draw a red flag..

Thanks
JustIn Case

This amount of juice/electricity is greater than or equal to a large old skool t.v. running, depending on your electric rates in your area, I would say 15$-20$ increase. I hope your asking for your own reasons, and not trying to hide the grow from parents, that's never good. Never the less Good Luck!

EDIT
That's not even close to enough to create a power spike the electric company would be concerned about. You really have to get into the thousands of watts to get there. It will look like you got another TV or PC in your house, don't even worry about that. If anything the financial aspect is more of a concern. Just my 2 cents buddy.

This amount of juice/electricity is greater than or equal to a large old skool t.v. running, depending on your electric rates in your area, I would say 15$-20$ increase. I hope your asking for your own reasons, and not trying to hide the grow from parents, that's never good. Never the less Good Luck!

EDIT
That's not even close to enough to create a power spike the electric company would be concerned about. You really have to get into the thousands of watts to get there. It will look like you got another TV or PC in your house, don't even worry about that. If anything the financial aspect is more of a concern. Just my 2 cents buddy.

I am asking for my own reasons and not hiding it from parents. I just didn't want to be bringing any unwanted attention from electric company, but $15-$20 bucks of an increase is where I was hoping it would be.....

I am just tired of paying high prices for some smoke and am looking to only grow 2 - 3 plants at the most.

Back
Top Bottom